shape
carat
color
clarity

Has anyone given up on a diamond…

Frenchcut

Shiny_Rock
…Since the prices increased so much?!

I must say I don’t know what to think of this sudden increase since the start of the year. I know that there are several factors behind it (like emerging countries buying more and more and maybe a speculative trend) but it’s really disheartening to think of what I could have had just 5 months ago for the same price!

Unfortunately for me by fiancé was not ready to buy at the time and he’s just about to have the money now…and I can’t help feeling it’s too late :(

I don’t know if anybody else has already taken the decision not to buy? It’s not that I think that the prices will necessarily go down at some point (but who kows?!), just that there is a limit to the amount I feel comfortable spending on a diamond and also to what my fiance can afford.

In December we had settled on a 1 carat but for the same budget today I’m not sure what we can afford except that it definitely won’t be 1 carat…

I could go for a smaller diamond but I fear it’s going to be too small :oops: or buy it on the Internet and I may be able to get 1 carat but it won’t be the ring we had originally chosen while we went window shopping :oops:
Otherwise I may choose to have an e-ring without a diamond (but am not sure what to get? I already have many rings as a matter of fact…) or no ring at all!

It’s hard to make a decision, especially since my fiancé doesn’t want to hear about the “no ring” option…and I feel very lonely as he doesn’t want to admit that we can’t afford the ring we had seen 5 months ago with today’s price :cry:

Is anybody else in the same situation (not being able to choose between buying/not buying)? What did you eventually decide?

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It is doubtful that diamond prices will decrease in the near future, if at all... Historically diamonds have not decreased in price, with the exception of some calculated adjustments made by the diamond cartels from time to time immediately following a substantial increase. I don't think this will occur at this point in time. Here is an article which might provide some insight from somebody besides a tradesperson like me:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...diamonds-outpacing-gold-chart-of-the-day.html

Prices certainly tend to be better on the internet because internet vendors compete in a global market as opposed to perhaps the 100 mile radius that most retail jewelers focus upon. Not everybody purchases a diamond for their engagement ring, we've had several customers over the years elect for something like their birthstone or a colored stone which appeals to them... nothing is written in stone ;-) [pun intended]

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Frenchcut|1304957564|2916299 said:
…Since the prices increased so much?!

I must say I don’t know what to think of this sudden increase since the start of the year. I know that there are several factors behind it (like emerging countries buying more and more and maybe a speculative trend) but it’s really disheartening to think of what I could have had just 5 months ago for the same price!

Unfortunately for me by fiancé was not ready to buy at the time and he’s just about to have the money now…and I can’t help feeling it’s too late :(

I don’t know if anybody else has already taken the decision not to buy? It’s not that I think that the prices will necessarily go down at some point (but who kows?!), just that there is a limit to the amount I feel comfortable spending on a diamond and also to what my fiance can afford.

In December we had settled on a 1 carat but for the same budget today I’m not sure what we can afford except that it definitely won’t be 1 carat…

I could go for a smaller diamond but I fear it’s going to be too small :oops: or buy it on the Internet and I may be able to get 1 carat but it won’t be the ring we had originally chosen while we went window shopping :oops:
Otherwise I may choose to have an e-ring without a diamond (but am not sure what to get? I already have many rings as a matter of fact…) or no ring at all!

It’s hard to make a decision, especially since my fiancé doesn’t want to hear about the “no ring” option…and I feel very lonely as he doesn’t want to admit that we can’t afford the ring we had seen 5 months ago with today’s price :cry:

Is anybody else in the same situation (not being able to choose between buying/not buying)? What did you eventually decide?

Aw, hon, don't despair! I know just what you mean: the practical result is that now I know I'll be buying vintage instead of going for the ideal cut I was idly entertaining the idea of. (Which, hey - I know I want one of each, so the ideal will just have to wait until prices get sane again.) Whatever ring you saw, I am SURE you can find for an affordable price if you hunt. But if you should decide that you want the luxury experience, you can always go for a more opulent design with a smaller stone ... or maybe even go for a gorgeous colored stone. Don't get yourself down with woulda-shoulda-coulda's in the meantime.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd either go down to the .90 range or drop a color grade or something! And absolutely, it is almost crazy not to buy the stone from a trusted internet vendor! What is your budget for the stone?

Another thing you can do is to put almost all your money into a diamond now and get an inexpensive setting. Then save and get your dream setting later.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I second DS2006's advice.
Keep shopping.

In diamonds there are huge price differences for things that are barely visible when it comes to clarity color and carat.

I'd recommend insisting on the best cut though, since it may make up for hits you take in the other 3.

I have a 0.83 round Solasfera and it looks so bright and blingy that it puts many 1-ct diamonds to shame.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1304958479|2916320 said:
I'd either go down to the .90 range or drop a color grade or something! And absolutely, it is almost crazy not to buy the stone from a trusted internet vendor! What is your budget for the stone?

Another thing you can do is to put almost all your money into a diamond now and get an inexpensive setting. Then save and get your dream setting later.

Exactly!

Prices have not risen as much in the below 1ct range anyways, compared to the over 1ct range, at least that is how it seems to me (or the same % increase is not as painful to swallow).

Frenchcut

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for your replies!

I've already started looking for either a colored stone or a diamond with an excellent cut but a lower color (I instead of H) but I find it hard not to think what if...we had bought the ring 5 months ago.

It drives me crazy that I had my dreamring ring in my hand, on my finger, and now I have to say goodbye to it....believe me it ain't easy :knockout:

I'm more inclined toward a color stone as I'm afraid I may be thinking of my dreamring every time I look at my hand if I have another diamond ring. Since I already have many it's hard to find something that will look different enough from what I already have and my fiance is quite picky too...

At least this tought me one or two things:

1/ don't start looking if you're not 100% certain you can buy the damn ring asap and 2/ once you've chosen don't delay your purchase, you never know what can happen...

Also, to all the men out there: avoid bringing your girlfriend to a jeweler before you've made sure you had enough to buy whithout delay...or it may end up as a huge disappointement for both of you!

Hope it can help some other newbies not to make the same mistakes ;-)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Frenchcut|1304964309|2916431 said:
Thank you all for your replies!

I've already started looking for either a colored stone or a diamond with an excellent cut but a lower color (I instead of H) but I find it hard not to think what if...we had bought the ring 5 months ago.

It drives me crazy that I had my dreamring ring in my hand, on my finger, and now I have to say goodbye to it....believe me it ain't easy :knockout:

I'm more inclined toward a color stone as I'm afraid I may be thinking of my dreamring every time I look at my hand if I have another diamond ring. Since I already have many it's hard to find something that will look different enough from what I already have and my fiance is quite picky too...

At least this tought me one or two things:

1/ don't start looking if you're not 100% certain you can buy the damn ring asap and 2/ once you've chosen don't delay your purchase, you never know what can happen...

Also, to all the men out there: avoid bringing your girlfriend to a jeweler before you've made sure you had enough to buy whithout delay...or it may end up as a huge disappointement for both of you!

Hope it can help some other newbies not to make the same mistakes ;-)

Excellent advice!

My only caution to you is that sapphire is the only stone that approaches the durability of daily wear, but you'll still have to be more careful than you would with a diamond. And an outstanding sapphire is harder to find than a diamond, in my experience! Many, many people here have gorgeous ideal cut diamonds in I and J color! They face up white because they get excellent light performance due to the cut. I really wouldn't go to a colored stone if that is not your first choice for an e-ring.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could also consider an older cut stone like an OEC or an OMC. They tend to come in lower colors and its pretty cool to think
that you have an antique diamond that was cut way back when.

Check out old world diamonds to see if you like that kind of cut.
http://www.oldworlddiamonds.com/index.php

And like DD said...I have a .46 J from Brian Gavin and its just the prettiest little thing. The color doesnt bother me one
bit! A well cut diamond that sparkles like heck can be amazing no matter the color!

Edit - speaking of color have you seen Haven's new stone? Ok, well it is big and it probably cost a pretty penny but
look how gorgeous it is...and it is in the color range of O to P...so dont give up. You can still have a lovely ring...
you just might have to think outside the box a little.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/its-here-its-here-my-2-30-ct-omb-antique-cushion-upgrade.158760/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/its-here-its-here-my-2-30-ct-omb-antique-cushion-upgrade.158760/[/URL]

Frenchcut

Shiny_Rock
@ Diamondseeker2066: I reckon sapphire is the best alternative to diamond when it comes to durability but I don't like it too much + I already have a big one (it's not a beautiful one though)

@ Dreamer_D: The 1.2ct H VS ideal cut diamond we could have bought in December shrinked to 1.0ct since the start of the year...ouch!

@ tyty333 : I've considered buying an old cut or at least a used ring but I don't want to buy a ring that doesn't come with a GIA/AGS certificate as I'm not knowlageable myself to assess the quality of the stone when I see it. And there are not so many for sale...but I keep looking everyday.

I think I still need to some time to get over my dream ring...in the meanwhile I'm considering buying earrings and a pendant and I'm very excited at this prospect but again it's so hard to choose :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, you could put that earring and pendant money towards the 1.2 ct. diamond and save those for later. ;))

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1305050434|2917526 said:
You know, you could put that earring and pendant money towards the 1.2 ct. diamond and save those for later. ;))

Ditto!

Frenchcut

Shiny_Rock
I intend to buy my earrings and pendant with MY money and my fiance won't accept any of it to pay for the ring anyway...otherwise I would sure do that :D

nurse

Rough_Rock
Hi Frenchcut!

I can very much empathize with your feelings as I was/still am in a similar situation. Like you, I've been looking doing e-ring research for a long time since probably around nov/dec and like you he wasn't ready to do any buying. Now that we are finally at the purchasing stage, it was upsetting finding out how our budget was squeezed even tighter with all the increases.

However, instead of being really discouraged by the price increase, it actually sorta boosted my bf into buying sooner than later b/c he was afraid that prices would just keep increasing. Yes, we had to get a little creative with budgetting, but if we had bought in nov/dec I wouldn't have had 5 months to do so much research and would have ended up with a ring from a B&M (Cartier) and while it would have been cheaper, it definitely does not feel as special as the custom route we are going with now.

I totally know the feeling of regret thinking 'if I had just gotten it sooner, it would have been such a better deal'. However my advice to you is to try and think of it as a blessing in disguise, yes the prices have increased but you've now had 5 months to do lots of research and now you know that buying on the internet is a viable option!

Maybe you can list the 'must haves' in your dream sonte/ring and budget and see what the people here can come up with? I know a lot of people also will put all the resources into their dream stone and then opt for a simple setting with plans to upgrade in the future, maybe that is something you can also consider? There are options! Try not to despair, I have every confidence that you will find something that you love!! :love: :love: :love:

Frenchcut

Shiny_Rock
Hi Nurse!

Thank you for sharing for experience, it's good to know I'm not the only one going through this and I'm happy for you that you've eventually found a ring will give you stafisfaction.

As most of the jewellery I wear is branded I may end up with a smaller version (0.7 or 0.8 carat?) of the ring I had tried at Cartier in December, only time will tell! I know I shouldn't care about others think but, yes, I do, and so does my fiance :oops: I do know that the first thing everybody will say when they see my ring is: "where does it come from?"

I do love what I've seen on the Internet and it may even be that some of the stones sold by WF, BGD and others are better quality than what I could get at Cartier but I must reckon that I value more the jewels that come from this kind high end of jewellers. I may be wrong but a smaller branded ring will probably make me happier than a non branded ring :naughty:

affguy

Shiny_Rock
I haven't given up, nor am I going to, but I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t a bit disheartening. There are a few vendors whose inventory I check on a daily basis, and I'm slowly resigning myself to the fact that *I'm* not going to be as happy with what I can buy now as what I could have a couple months ago, if I'd had the cash in my savings account. But while she may not spend as much time staring at/showing off whatever I end up buying, I’ve still got my fingers crossed that the initial squeals will just as loud and genuine as they’d have been with something a tad bigger & nicer.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results