shape
carat
color
clarity

Has anyone found a wrong AGL Cert?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi All,

Something very strange happened to me. I sent a stone to be cert''ed to the AGL a couple of years ago. I bought it as Imperial Topaz about 70cts. I got an AGL cert on it that cost me a small fortune. They said it wasn''t the color they would call Imperial but it was topaz and cert''ed it as such. I ended up cracking the gridle and sending it for a recut to a local cutter. He had a heck of a time cutting it and told me it was the hardest to cut topaz he ever had. He put it under a microscope and told me it had funny cleavage plains and told me it was probubly Kunzite. He switched Laps and cut it as if it was Kunzite and had no more problems. Has anyone else ever have a problem like this? If it is Kunzite how do I go the the AGL and tell them this is the same stone since it is much smaller now?

Regards,
Maurice

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/14/2006 10:19:46 PM
Author:MJO
He put it under a microscope and told me it had funny cleavage plains and told me it was probubly Kunzite. He switched Laps and cut it as if it was Kunzite and had no more problems.

Hi Maurice,

FYI topaz has perfect cleavage in one direction that can sometimes be hair-tearingly difficult in cutting too. Standard procedure calls for orienting the table at least 5 degrees off the cleavage plane. I''ve cut a lot of it and have never had a problem but some people I know have. If the orignal cutter tried to conserve weight by orienting the table parallel to the cleavage, it could cause problems similar to what you describe.

I can''t believe AGTA could flub such a simple ID. There''s a huge difference in RI between spodumene and topaz -- an elementary lab test -- but anything''s possible. I''d recommend a simple RI check as a first measure. I''ll be happy to do it for you if no one else is handy.

Richard M.

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/14/2006 10:53:47 PM
Author: Richard M.

Date: 1/14/2006 10:19:46 PM
Author:MJO
He put it under a microscope and told me it had funny cleavage plains and told me it was probubly Kunzite. He switched Laps and cut it as if it was Kunzite and had no more problems.

Hi Maurice,

FYI topaz has perfect cleavage in one direction that can sometimes be hair-tearingly difficult in cutting too. Standard procedure calls for orienting the table at least 5 degrees off the cleavage plane. I''ve cut a lot of it and have never had a problem but some people I know have. If the orignal cutter tried to conserve weight by orienting the table parallel to the cleavage, it could cause problems similar to what you describe.

I can''t believe AGTA could flub such a simple ID. There''s a huge difference in RI between spodumene and topaz -- an elementary lab test -- but anything''s possible. I''d recommend a simple RI check as a first measure. I''ll be happy to do it for you if no one else is handy.

Richard M.
Hello Richard,

Thank you for your response. The cutter said this stone had 2 perfect cleavage planes, that''s where the problem is. The new cutter is a pro. He''s also cut alot of topaz and said is was like none he''d ever cut before. A freind of mine has a RI but old fluid. He told me he will buy more fluid and check it then. Thank you very much for the offer though. I''ll let you know what I find out. If it isn''t topaz I will be very upset at the supplier and the AGL. I would think they both couldn''t make a mistake but the 2 perfect cleavages has me wondering.

Regards,
Maurice

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Maurice,

I see I transposed AGTA for AGL. Yes, 2 cleavage planes would be reason for concern. There''s nothing really close to Topaz R.I. in that category. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results