shape
carat
color
clarity

Has Anyone Done a Triathlon?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SeattleSparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Hello Fellow Brides,

So I am starting to train for a triathlon today! I was wondering if any of you have done one? The race is 2 weeks before my wedding and I thought it would be a great way to get in great shape for the wedding.

I felt like a needed a goal that was a little more than "I want to look great in my dress."

Am I being too ambitious? The swim is 1/2 mile, the bike is 12 miles and the run is 2.5 miles.

elsie

Shiny_Rock
Seattle,

Oh wow, that''s so great! I''ve never done a triathlon, but I wanted to cheer you on and let you know that I don''t think it''s too ambitious. And you''re right about it being a great way to get into shape -- I started working out seriously ~4 months before my wedding and running ~2 months before. I lost about 15 pounds and 4 months of running have really helped tone up that tummy bulge area!

Let us know how the training goes! Good luck!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have not done one, but that is awesome you are going to do it! Mara''s dad does them!!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
sounds like it''ll be fun SS! i would just say be sure to train train train as you don''t want to get out there and realize you get tired after the swim or whatever. my dad has done them but they are not his specialty. he is a cyclist and a runner/marathoner but he is not a swimmer. he likes doing the tri''s but he prefers to just do running or cycling overall i think. but this one you are doing sounds like kind of a milder version of a lot of the other ones out there so i would imagine it won''t be too bad (the swim intimidates me though). good luck and have fun!! don''t try to be a rockstar, slow and steady can win the race!

Samantha Red

Shiny_Rock
I know this will shock those who know of my current eating, obesity issues, but I have done one. My F1 does them all the time, including olympic distance ones. I did the same distance as you are considering I cannot recommend it enough. It was such a feeling of empowerment at the end, I cannot describe. I wasn''t particulary good at any of the disciplines, but I did it and loved it. My brother and his family kept stopping at strategic points during the cycle with huge banners and it was so encouraging. My advise is to go for it; maybe I should take that advise myself.

Good luck and enjoy it

firstbase32

Shiny_Rock
I''d say you are setting a great goal. I wish I would have done something like that because it would have helped me to get in shape for teh wedding day. My wife wanted to do a half-marathon the weekend before our wedding but I showed her that it was our only weekend home to be able to get things arranged for teh wedding. I would really like to start working out...we started the whole weight watchers points thing...we''re not paying to go to the meetings but we have some of the stuff and are using the system...we''ll see how it goes :)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve never attempted a tri-athlon, but I did the Avon Walk last year, which consists of walking 39 miles in two days. I did a lot of training starting three months prior so I could work my way up to walking the first leg (26.2 miles) in one day, and 13 the second. If you have the time before your wedding to really, really train you''ll be very glad you did it. You will be one buff bride!!!

cara

Ideal_Rock
As long as you have some rough experience in all three disciplines, and you practice a moderate amount, it should be great! The distances for your fun tri aren''t too horrible - though putting them all in sequence does change the game a bit.

BlueKeet

Shiny_Rock
Triathlons are a great motivator. I have been doing them for 5 years so you could say I am hooked. I did a race Sunday and a woman competiting was getting married later that day. She is usually more competitive, but I think she just went out and had fun for this event. I would love to do a very short race the AM of my wedding if there is one close enough. My fiance does them too. I'll at least go for a run, ride or swim that morning mostly likely with him and a few of our friends.

Just make sure you are comfortable with the distances of the swim, bike and run. Get to the event early to setup, know the course and don't be shy about asking questions of those around you. Most competitors are very friendly and helpful. You can also go watch a race prior to your competition. This will give you an idea of what to expect and is actually quite fun.

Gotta go ride my bike - I signed up for a few more triathlons this year to make sure I don't get to lazy.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Perfectly doable as long as you have the time and $ to do it. Equipment gets expensive FAST! The guy I dated before FI did the Ironman triathlon 3 times, and I worked at a store that sold all kinds of tri gear in college, so I''m pretty familiar with the routine if you have questions.

The biggest recommendation I can make is to practice the transitions between the events as it can be difficult and stressful if you haven''t practiced it. ALSO make sure you have training days where you do all three events back to back or else you will have a hard time on the day of.

Best of luck!

beachbound

Rough_Rock
Kudos to you! That sounds like a great way to get in shape and have more energy! I have never done a triathalon unfortunately, but I would given the chance! Good luck and make sure you stretch!
2.gif

SeattleSparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my goodness! Thanks for all the awesome support. I will probably be asking more questions.

Well, I start my 8-week training schedule today!! (it actually started yesterday, but Mondays are ''rest days'')

I got my bike all ready so I''m going for a ride. I haven''t gone on a bike ride in such a long time. We''ll see how it goes!!

basil

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve done a triathlon, sort of. I signed up for one, trained for one, and then when we got there that morning the water was too foggy for safe swimming so they cancelled the swim. And added an extra 3 mile run. So it ended up being 3.1 run/15 bike/3.1 run.

Is your triathlon indoors or outdoors? If it is outdoors, I would strongly recommend practicing swimming in the ocean/lake where it''s being held, since it''s pretty different than swimming in a pool. I guess some people can really freak if they aren''t used to waves, dark water, etc.

Definitely practice the bike/run transition. You''ll find when you get off the bike, even if you think your legs feel fine, they will feel like lead when you start running. It''s good to get used to this feeling by doing shorter "bricks".

What is best for loosing fat and for helping your performance in the tri is "long slow distance", i.e. your long run or long ride of the week where you will burn the most calories and also increase your aerobic fitness.

SeattleSparkle

Brilliant_Rock
So, I think the bike ride might be the hardest part for me!! I just went out for a 1/2 hour (6 mile ride) and I had a hard time with those hills!

I love to swim so I think that will be the least intimidating part for once I''m all trained. I don''t have a pool to train in so I will be doing all my swimming in the lake where the race will take place (just a different part.)Waves don''t really bother me (I spent a summer doing all my swimming in the Mediterranean and that was some choppy water.) I live about 2 1/2 blocks away from a swimming beach. I just hope I don''t get too cold! Seattle isn''t exactly hot.

It''s all outdoors, so I''m trying to do as much training outside of the gym as possible. Tomorrow is a 20 minute run + strength training. That should be pretty straight forward.

I love all the advice!! I''m not really sure where I should put my bike when I practice my transitions. The only thing harder than my ride today was trying to get my bike back up two flights of stairs and into my apartment!

tdiddy

Shiny_Rock
i haven''t done a Tri yet - I am contemplating the 1/2 silverman in las vegas this november if i can squeeze it in after my fall marathon in DC - but i am an avid road biker and marathoner. i actually have a 150 mile bike race this weekend.

my advice is to do a little research and find a training plan that fits your event and your personal schedule and goals. there are plenty online. if you pick something too ambititious you will never make it thru the training. if you pick something that doesn''t fit with your availability, then you simply won''t have the time. since it''s your first one, i would recommend a beginner''s plan where the goal is simply to finish. that is a huge accomplishment in and of itself. and if you do it that way, odds are you will have a great time and want to keep doing them. i also am a firm believer in adhering to the plan strictly. i think knowing that you did what you were supposed to in preparation gives you the confidence you need to push thru the periods in the race when you have doubts/struggle.

i saw you had a tough ride with the hills as well. generally speaking my legs don''t really warm up until 8 miles in on a ride and about 2 miles in on a run. so don''t be discouraged by that. i always start my rides and runs thinking "great, this is going to suck b/c my legs are like lead." but it never fails that after i get going for the first few miles, it goes away. and riding hills will get even the most seasoned rider - so don''t be discouraged by that either.

someone once told me that less than 1% of the world''s population will ever compete in an endurance event. congrats on setting yourself apart from the crowd and going for it!

SeattleSparkle

Brilliant_Rock
tdiddy! That is absolutely amazing! I am totally humbled by what you have accomplished.

I just like the idea of doing something new. I used to run Bloomsday in Spokane, WA every year growing up (12 k race) and was really into sports.

This year, I have only done an 8k Race and a 5k Furry Run (a run with my dog!)

I am only hoping to finish as I know that I''m not really built for speed!! I am following the 8-week training plan that was just recently printed in Fitness Magazine. Hopefully it is enough to get me ready!! There is another triathlon in the area that is similar to the one that I am going to do in less than 2 weeks. I think I''m going to go and observe the transition area to see if I can learn a thing or two!! That was such a great idea!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results