shape
carat
color
clarity
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PriceScope Upgrade Completed
    For issues, questions and comments click the link below
    https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pricescope-upgraded-comments-and-issues.229551/

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone broken their princess?

Discussion in 'RockyTalky' started by Beacon, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beacon
    Ideal_Rock

by Beacon » Aug 2, 2006
    I have a 1.29 princess and it has a "ex thin to very thin" girdle. I have worn it almost everyday for 6 years. Since reading n this forum I have learned that this type of girdle can break easily. But in all this time it never did break. Now I am trying to figure out what to do with the stone since I upgraded. I am even afraid to reset it, cause I fear it will break.

So, my question is: has anyone broken their princess stone due to thin girdle? Will my stone be likely to break if I reset it?

2. bookworm21
    Brilliant_Rock

by bookworm21 » Aug 2, 2006
    I don''t know too much about princess stones, but I''ll try to help with what knowledge I do possess.

A stone breaking is always a risk when you have it reset. But then, that''s what insurance is for. There are several cleavage points on a diamond, I believe, and when pressure is applied just right to those points, the stone can definitely break.

A very thin girdle on a princess or round makes it more prone to chipping because it''s so thin. The trade off is usually more spread for the same carat weight. I personally think it is a bit more risky on the princess cut because of the sharp corners. If you do get a reset, I would seek too protect the corners as much as possible, as I''ve read that those areas are most prone to chipping.

Other experts will chime in soon, most likely, but I hope my little knowledge helps.

3. RockDoc
    Ideal_Rock

by RockDoc » Aug 2, 2006
    I would suggest seeing a gemologist in your area, and consulting him. It may just make sense to have the girdle cut a little more to thicken it.

Even though grading reports do sometimes say ex thin or very thin, I have found in some cases, that this is really not factual at all.

Reporting girdle thickness by a term such as thin or thick, is not as accurate as reporting it by measurement. A competent gemologist can measure the girdle and advise you as to how to best proceed with getting it reset, and possibly made less of a risk due to the girdle thickness (if in fact it is true, and an issue).

Rockdoc

4. Beacon
    Ideal_Rock

by Beacon » Aug 2, 2006
    This is a great idea and I bet I would learn a lot at the same time. Does anyone have any San Francisco Bay area gemologist recommendations?

5. JulieN
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by JulieN » Aug 2, 2006
    Nancy Stacy is very popular.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.