shape
carat
color
clarity

Harry Winston vs. Tiffany Legacy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

entouragefan

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I just came across this site today. It''s been very informative. I am planning on proposing later this year but I want to begin the search for an engagment ring now. Despite everything that I have read, I still feel there is so much to learn about diamonds before making a final decison on what to buy.

Just from reading and looking at pictures of the Tiffany Legacy and the HW Pave, I would love to be able to get either one for my girlfriend.

I am sure this question will irriate some but it''s a starting point and I would also appreciate any other suggestions.

Budget: $20K - $25K

Based on that range, what am I potentially able to get in terms of carrot size and quality from Tiffany and HW?

Also, what are some other "brands" that are worth looking into? I have checked out Simon G but it didn''t really appeal to me the way the Tiffany and HW rings do.

Any advice or feedback would be appreciated. It''s just a starting point for my research and I open to any suggestions.

Thanks.

Anthony

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
what about Daniel K?

For the Legacy and HW pave, I'm guessing about 1.2-1.4 cts.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay well... first... take a look at www.pearlmansjewelers.com There are many amazing designers (including Daniel K) on there. And tell us what designers catch your eye. Try Beaudry, Ritani, Daniel K, Micheal B....

Second, what type of person is your lady? Would she prefer a larger, non-designer, diamond in a gorgeous but also not designer setting (and with your budget I'm talking a nice fabulously cut big 2 carat diamond in a nice platinum pave setting from Leon Mage)... or a smaller 1ish carat diamond in a designer setting with a designer box and name attached? (What do her friends/ sisters/ cousins have?)

Third, where do you live round abouts so we can give you advice about retailers to visit.

Fourth, do you have a shape/ cut of diamond in mind???

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
you can find another thread comparing the two here

angelinjapan also debated between the two and decided on the HW. you can read her story here

I second looking at Pearlmans website. I will be purchasing my new wedding through Bill and he is just wonderful to work with. Definitely check out daniel K and Michael b. Those are among my top to choices right now.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oops forgot the Leon Mage site: www.artofplatinum.com

There''s also a thread on here with all of Leon''s pave creations that Pser''s have had custom made... but I''m too lazy to find it... do a search for Leon Mage or maybe someone will be nice enough to hunt it down for you.
2.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
you can see Leon''s work for pricescopers here

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
See. There are tons of nice folks on here!
16.gif

I''m just not one of them.
2.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2006 10:28:14 PM
Author: Gypsy

I''m just not one of them.
2.gif

oh yes you are
1.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
23.gif

*Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh* The other lawyers might find out and I''ll be thrown out of the club!

entouragefan

Rough_Rock
Gypsy,

I will check out that website right now.

As far as what she would prefer, I don''t she is "hung up" on getting a brand name ring. Her friend recently got engaged and it was not a desinger ring. It''s a really nice ring (I think it is an emerald cut). Not sure how many carrots, but I think about 1.7. And her fiance paid about $18K for it.

As far as my girlfriend, she has mentioned she would like an emerald cut or ascher cut. But when I showed her the HW Pave and the Tiffany Legacy, she really liked those styles as well.

My girlfriend is very trendy and stylish. Her career is in fashion. So I want to be able to impress her with something original and trendy and unique.

I live in Dallas, Texas. But as far as the ring goes, I''m willing to travel to Las Vegas, LA, or NY if it means more options and more ideas.

But I will check out the websites you mentioned and then post again with my thoughts.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
ROFLMAO. Dallas, TX. I was just talking about Dallas on another thread. My impression of Dallas, TX (my aunt lives there. Country club wife) is the bigger the diamond, the better. BUT you said she''s in fashion so name might carry weight with her too.

I *think* that Leon has designed rings for a number of stars (not positive, though if you posted someone will know). So a ''generic'' diamond in a Leon Mage ("Oh my ring is a Leon Mage. Oh, what you''ve never heard of him? Well he did XX''s engagement ring and WW''s too!) might be a good balance of size and name brand satisfaction. Lots of bling there... and if you ask him too... with your budget he can design something unique and stunning for your lady-- it might require a trip to NY, but from what I am understanding-- that''s not going to be an issue for you.

Just my rambling thoughts.

vs

Rough_Rock
Hi, entouragefan!

I did a double take when I saw the title of
your post...check out mine (with almost
the exact same title): Harry Winston Cushion
Cut vs. Tiffany Legacy.

I have tried on the Legacy many times and
was convinced that it was ''the'' ring until
I started looking around and once I got
onto pricescope, I changed my mind
completely!

I have been working with Lilly at the HW
in Las Vegas and she has been extremely
helpful and friendly. In your price range,
you should be able to get a 1.2 to 1.5 ct.
ring. They only sell rings with D-E-F color
and the lowest clarity they sell is VS1.
At Tiffany''s, you could probably get a
1.3 to 1.5 ct. Legacy ring in the F-G
color range and VS1-VS2 clarity.

I will be travelling to Las Vegas next month
where I will try on the HW ring. I have only
seen it here (angelainjapan''s post: Loving
My Harry Winston Cushion Cut Pave Ering)
and on the website. I was considering putting
a deposit down but decided to wait until I could
see it in person.

I prefer the HW ring to the Legacy because the
HW has a more delicate and antique look compared
to the Legacy. It is a little chunky looking on my
hand and doesn''t seem to be as sparkly. Plus, for
the same price (or less), I prefer the Harry Winston
brand (in terms of craftsmanship and quality).
Don''t get me wrong, I have several Tiffany pieces,
but if you are comparing these two rings, I prefer
the HW ring.

Sorry this is so long...I hope it helps! Good luck
and let us know what you decide. :)

entouragefan

Rough_Rock
vs-

I just checked out your thread. Thank you for the info and the reply. I really like the HW as well. It''s a stunning ring.

It''s going to be an interesting couple of months for me trying to figure this out.

Thanks again for your information.

entouragefan

Rough_Rock
Ok. I checked out the pearlman''s website. I really liked the Michael B and Beaudry rings. Awesome. And the Ritani ones were nice as well.

Most of the rings shown were priced NOT including the center diamond.

If a ring (say for a example a Michael B) is priced at $15K prior to the center diamond, how much does a fairly good 2.0 ct center diamond going to cost?

I also looked at Leon''s website and sent him an e-mail, basically detailing the same info I provided here in addition to a description of my girlfriend and her potential taste(s). I like his work and seems like it has a little more flare than a typical Tiffany or HW.

With the Beaudry rings, is that something that will continue to stay in style? Seems like the canary gold color has become popular over the last 2 years. Is that something that will continue to be considered modern ten years from now?

P.S.-You are right about Dallas. It''s pretty ridiculous over here with the extravagence. That''s why I want something nice but at the same time, I think I she would like something a little different too.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
2 ct G VS2, 26K : http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/360/

The thing is when you get bigger, you have to go higher in clarity and color. For example, a J SI1 .5 ct is probably eye-clean and you're not going to notice the tint. A 2 ct J SI1 is less likely to be eye-clean and you will notice the tint.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
One thing to consider in regards to the Legacy..., its a patented mixed-cut Cushion, which means it has a different face-up aapearance than other generic Cushions.

you can notice the differentiation between the generic Cushion to the patented Legacy right away. some people prefer this type of look...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay. I'm going to warn you about Leon. Not the best communicator... especially via email. You will probably be dissapointed with a generic response asking for you to call him. But do call him. If you decide to go with him I don't think you will be disappointed as long as you keep in mind he is a primadonna 'artiste' and takes that very seriously. Leon feels he always knows best... and according to the folks on here who have had their rings done by him-- he's right.

If I were you, I would do for a diamond cut with lots of spread (more mm per carat), rounds have lots of spread but are priced high. Ovals, marquise, and pears look much larger for their carat weight than cushions, asschers, emeralds, etc and are priced more reasonably than rounds-- plus they are much less commonly seen.

Personally, I am a big fan of fat ovals 1.25-1.32 l/w ratio. You can get alot for the money there in terms of size-- you can get a 1.7-1.8 carat that looks, in terms of mm size like a 2 carat cushion for a MUCH lower price. If you set them east- west with a pave halo... you've got something unique, special and well, HUGE for your budget. Will try to find pics for you later...

Actually, I am a bit busy at work today... so if anyone has a sec to find a picture of a pave haloed oval set east-west, I'd appreciate it.

Oh and I forgot, Maytal is a jeweler (do a search for her name) that used to work for Beaudry and can copy anything of that look for half the price. One of the PSers on here got a ring done by her that is just stunning. She's nice and helpful and trying to make a name for herself as a solo designer... so it's another option for you.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2006 10:45:54 PM
Author: entouragefan
Gypsy

As far as my girlfriend, she has mentioned she would like an emerald cut or ascher cut. But when I showed her the HW Pave and the Tiffany Legacy, she really liked those styles as well.

If she said she wants and emerald or asscher, I think you should stick with that. Ovals are nice but very different from the geometric shapes she''s mentioned to thus far. best to find out exactly what kind of stone she wants and go from there. I think ovals are beautiful but would never want one for myself so make sure she would want one before venturing there.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh crap. Didn't see that. Thanks mrssalvo.

Yeah, in that case... what mrssalvo says is 100% right. And emeralds will be cheaper than asschers... so I would go that route. I have an asscher... um... hold on. If you do want an asscher right now GOG has a couple of amazing ones... isaku's thread on asschers has the links to them... can't find it. Here it is!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay so... I have more time on my hands than I thought.

Here''s my advice if you are thinking about going with Leon. This diamond has been highly approved by our resident asscher expert. It should be around 21K which would leave you around 4K for a Leon setting-- which is just about right. Overall, for your budget and your lady''s love of step cuts... that is the most bang for buck you can probably get. And frankly-- we''re talking a stunning combination.
30.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just wanted to throw in a mention for Quest as an alternative for really detailed mege-ish custom work but without the artist drama we sometimes hear about from LM. They did Kaleigh''s DanielK-ish ring and it''s beautiful.

In any case, if you are looking between HW and Tiff, I love the HW setting much more, it seems more delicate while the Legacy to me is kinda big and metallish in general...but maybe it depends on the size of the stone etc.

But if you are not sold on the Tiff/HW...I''d get a beautiful cushion or an asscher and do a custom setting from Quest or similar.

It''s funny because in your post you said you are looking for something original, trendy, unique. I don''t see trendy as being original at all!! So not sure which is more important in that scenario. That said, what''s really popular right now is the halo pave kinda thing like the HW and Legacy have going on, so I think you are in the right ballpark as to what is popular. But trends change from year to year, just like clothes. Just figured I''d throw that out there. Good luck!!

entouragefan

Rough_Rock
I did contradict myself!

I guess I should''ve rephrased. I personally really like the HW and Tiffany rings. To me, they are very eye catching. And I''m not a jewelry buff by any means and to me they are just amazing pieces.

As far as she''s concerned, I think she would probably like something a little more original. My only fear as that I get something way off the wall and it''s even too much for her.

I talked to her for a bit today to get some clues/hints. And I have a better idea now. The search continues.

entouragefan

Rough_Rock
That looks amazing.

I''m beginning to realize I was focusing maybe a little too much on the setting.

What do think? Taking into a account my budget ($25K), what should I be shooting for in terms of center diamond vs. setting. Is a $4K setting going to look good or should I be more realistic and spend a little more. Maybe a dumb question. I guess I just want to understand the importance of the setting. Is it more dependent on the cut of the center diamond?

All you help is appreciated.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
What do think? Taking into a account my budget ($25K), what should I be shooting for in terms of center diamond vs. setting. Is a $4K setting going to look good or should I be more realistic and spend a little more. Maybe a dumb question. I guess I just want to understand the importance of the setting. Is it more dependent on the cut of the center diamond?
I think the setting has more to do with the desires of your girlfriend than anything objective. I think if she is trendy and stylish you will want to make sure the setting is distinctive (bu classic), but you can certainly get a very nice setting for around $4K.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/15/2006 4:13:27 PM
I did contradict myself!

I guess I should''ve rephrased. I personally really like the HW and Tiffany rings. To me, they are very eye catching. And I''m not a jewelry buff by any means and to me they are just amazing pieces.

As far as she''s concerned, I think she would probably like something a little more original. My only fear as that I get something way off the wall and it''s even too much for her.

I talked to her for a bit today to get some clues/hints. And I have a better idea now. The search continues.
And what clues/hints did she provide?
2.gif
Sorry, we''re nosy. I prefer the HW over the Tiff Legacy because it is much daintier on the hand. And I loooooves the look of a 2+carat rock on a dainty band!

So, let''s see. She wants original, step-cut, stylish.....if you want trendy and of-the-moment, go the halo route (I have a non-halo Leon ring and yes, he is a primadonna but the ring is a work of art). If you want original, get more clues from your girl about what she likes and hire someone (i.e. Quest or Leon) to cobble a little something together for you. Colored stones such as sapphires and rubies could add that little ooomph to make her ring stand out...they don''t even have to be sidestones, they could be small accent stones that are woven into filigree or pave. Sorry I don''t have any examples for you right now.

Since she is in the fashion industry, she could be VERY particular about her ring...does she want a "surprise" ring, or do you think she''d enjoy being part of the process?

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Oh, here''s the Vera Wang "fan" setting. I think it''s gorgeous, sleek, and the east-west setting makes it modern, without looking too trendy.

verawang_fansetting.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/15/2006 4:36:14 PM
Author: Hest88
Oh, here's the Vera Wang 'fan' setting. I think it's gorgeous, sleek, and the east-west setting makes it modern, without looking too trendy.

verawang_fansetting.jpg

I was JUST about to post that link right here!!!! And suggest an east west emerald! Quest can copy this for you with ZERO problem. If you did half eternity on the engagement ring (which is more durable and frankly doesn't detract at all IMO) you probably could get this in at 4K with a 21K diamond.

4K for a platinum setting is very reasonable. The look of an amazing ring is largely dependent on the center stone. A well cut, large stone-- especially with step cuts I think larger is better because it really shows off the beauty of the cut--in a nice platinum setting (either this very classic and timeless setting above from quest or a pave halo from Leon, for example) will usually make a bigger impact than a smaller stone in a more expensive setting. At least that's been my experience.

The setting matters. But it's the frame around the picture, not the picture itself, IMO. Especially in Dallas
25.gif

About the eye-catching impact of the HW and Tiffany settings. Definitely! But I am wondering what your lady's style is... most (not all mind you) people who go for step cuts aren't in it for the eye catching appeal. It's more a personal sense of style statement with a step cut... so I have to ask... is the eye-catching thing your concern-- or hers?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/15/2006 4:13:27 PM

Care to share the insight so we can be of more help?
37.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results