shape
carat
color
clarity

Harry Potter Fans

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Can I get an eye roll please?
20.gif
http://http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15127464/

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Did you guys hear that the girl who plays Hermoine isn''t sure if she''ll renew her contract? I''ll be really upset if they finish off the movies with someone else.

Mokey

Shiny_Rock
My daughter is a HUGE Harry Potter fan and can''t wait for the new movie and book to come out. She was talking to me about how some of her friends at school are not allowed to watch it or read it because their parents think it is witchcraft, etc. I was floored by that. I have watched all of the movies with both of my kids and thought they were fantastic. My daughter loves those books and won''t put them down. She even re-reads them. I am proud as punch that she is this into reading, and if it is about a little wizard, then so be it. She will be 13 in Dec. and a lot of her friends are "dating", some of the same ones who aren''t allowed to read the books. I figure, my child isn''t dating and I know what she is doing and reading, I don''t think they can all say the same about their kids. I think that people will make a big deal out of anything anymore. This really just gets me! Mokey

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
Wicca. HA! Such complete an utter silliness.
Don''t people know you can''t judge a book by it''s cover - or basic content?
Open your minds people. grrr....

Scintillating...

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Oh
20.gif
. These are the same people who wanted to stop the library from stocking Spanish language books. Ugh. Ignorant much? I am SO GLAD that people on this board aren''t of the same mindset. Those people really tick me off. Evil? Harry Potter books all say evil is bad. Look at how Voldemort and the Death Eaters turned out.

Alisoun

Rough_Rock
Do those people even know what Wicca is? (My poor little religious-studies-major-heart is breaking). What utter nonsense.

And, Robbie, I hope you''re kidding! She may not renew her contract? ::sobs::
39.gif

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
They need to have Child Protective Services down there. She seems like an unfit mother. Psychologically unstable. Deserves an investigation at least. In public with media all around asking if she''s crazy.
11.gif

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/4/2006 12:59:50 PM
Author: Mokey
My daughter is a HUGE Harry Potter fan and can''t wait for the new movie and book to come out. She was talking to me about how some of her friends at school are not allowed to watch it or read it because their parents think it is witchcraft, etc. I was floored by that. I have watched all of the movies with both of my kids and thought they were fantastic. My daughter loves those books and won''t put them down. She even re-reads them. I am proud as punch that she is this into reading, and if it is about a little wizard, then so be it. She will be 13 in Dec. and a lot of her friends are ''dating'', some of the same ones who aren''t allowed to read the books. I figure, my child isn''t dating and I know what she is doing and reading, I don''t think they can all say the same about their kids. I think that people will make a big deal out of anything anymore. This really just gets me! Mokey

Ugh! My husband has a friend from work (retired) who took our wedding pictures years ago. DH has kept in touch with them over the years. He and his wife are really nice people, but they drive me nuts. They''re grandkids don''t go to public school because of books like Harry Potter, and they asked me what I thought about it. Not knowing their feelings I told them I love fantasy, science fiction and the like and you should have heard them! They also hated Teletubbies and when my older boy was a toddler they strongly "cautioned" me about letting him watch it because the purple one was supposedly gay. Good grief!!

I also have neighbors who don''t celebrate Halloween. They leave their house, turn off all the lights and don''t come back until well after the trick or treaters are asleep. Again, nice people, but come ON!

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
This is a huge pet peeve of mine. Well, it''s more than a pet peeve...It makes me downright angry. I argue with my sister all of the time about this. Her 7 year old thinks I''m evil because she saw our Harry Potter books. Mind you she lets her 3 year old watch PG-13 movies like Pirates of the Carribean. If Harry Potter books are so bad, what about the Narnia Chronicles??? Star Wars??? Lord of the Rings??? All evil??? They are all based on the same principle and the is Good vs. Evil. Grrrrrrrr, this kind of ignorance makes me so angry. If this woman doesn''t want her kids to see these kinds of things, fine. I DO NOT want her telling me what my kids may or may not see in a LIBRARY of all places.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Narnia is actually praised by Christian folks who think it''s a veiled bible story. It''s mainly that witchcraft thing that riles up the crazies.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
This nonsense has been going on in different places since at least 2000. There''s a group called KidSpeak, that was originally called "Muggles for Harry Potter" that fights against censorship of children''s books. Here''s a link: http://www.kidspeakonline.org/fighthp_defense.html.

I have several Christian friends who love the series, and are able to see past the "witchcraft" to the core values that are represented in the stories.

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/4/2006 2:34:00 PM
Author: codex57
They need to have Child Protective Services down there. She seems like an unfit mother. Psychologically unstable. Deserves an investigation at least. In public with media all around asking if she''s crazy.
11.gif
I agree that this lady is . . . shall we politely say "misguided", to say the least, but where did we get that she should be investigated by CPS? In this country parents have the right to raise their kids to believe any crazy thing they see fit.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/4/2006 4:26:41 PM
Narnia is actually praised by Christian folks who think it''s a veiled bible story. It''s mainly that witchcraft thing that riles up the crazies.
Oh, I know, but, isn''t there a witch in the Chronicles of Narnia? Ummmm, a witch that performes witchcraft. Aslan has magic powers, also. i just don''t get the difference between Narnia and Harry Potter except that the Narnia stories were written by a supposed Christian author.

Alisoun

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/4/2006 4:41:26 PM
Author: Christa

11.gif

I agree that this lady is . . . shall we politely say ''misguided'', to say the least, but where did we get that she should be investigated by CPS? In this country parents have the right to raise their kids to believe any crazy thing they see fit.

This is a side note, but your comments made me think of it. There have actually been numerous cases where the chidren of Wiccan parents have been taken away from their families, just because the parents practice wicca and thus are seen as evil and unfit. (Which is bizarre to me since I don''t think that Wiccans even believe in the good/evil binary).

Anyway, I do think that the mother has a right to be overprotective, if that''s how she wants to raise her kids. I DON''T, however, think that she should infringe on other''s rights, which is what she''s doing by advocating that the HP books should be banned.

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
As an English teacher and a Harry Potter fan, this absolutely infuriates me!!!
29.gif

Worse, at the PUBLIC HIGH SCHOOL in Florida where my mother teaches, HP has already been banned!
14.gif

I also want to add that although rational people know true Wicca to be a peace loving faith ("An it harm none, do what thou wilt") that does not even recognize any entity as the "devil", the crazies out there believe that any religion other than theirs is the product of Satan. And they are entitled to their beliefs. But they ARE NOT entitled to tell me what I can check out at the library or what my children (if I had them) could read.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Harry Potter is one thing (don''t misunderstand me, I''m a huge fan and I think it would be just silly to ban it...), but CINDERELLA?? It''s a joke, right?
23.gif
20.gif

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/4/2006 5:27:35 PM
Author: Alisoun

11.gif

I agree that this lady is . . . shall we politely say ''misguided'', to say the least, but where did we get that she should be investigated by CPS? In this country parents have the right to raise their kids to believe any crazy thing they see fit.

This is a side note, but your comments made me think of it. There have actually been numerous cases where the chidren of Wiccan parents have been taken away from their families, just because the parents practice wicca and thus are seen as evil and unfit. (Which is bizarre to me since I don''t think that Wiccans even believe in the good/evil binary).

Anyway, I do think that the mother has a right to be overprotective, if that''s how she wants to raise her kids. I DON''T, however, think that she should infringe on other''s rights, which is what she''s doing by advocating that the HP books should be banned.
That''s all I''m saying. Free speech applies to people like this lady just as much as it does to JK Rowling, and being a little loopy does not necessarily mean that her kids would be better off in foster care.
32.gif

Erin

Ideal_Rock
"In June, the county''s library board eliminated the $3,000 that had been set aside to buy Spanish-language fiction in the coming fiscal year. One board member said the move came after some residents objected to using taxpayer dollars to entertain readers who might be illegal immigrants."

Does this not tell you what kind of crazies are making these decisions?

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
You think it''s just southern suburban house moms? I know a Ph.D. mathematician who won''t let his son play video games with any kind of magic because it''s evil. Lego star wars, yes.
20.gif

Alisoun

Rough_Rock
It takes all kinds....

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
I cringe... many English prof.s will tell you that the MAIN theme of Harry Potter is about.... "school" Yep "school and friendship" The main theme is NOT magic, NOT witchcraft... it is about school days and friends. I took a course with one of the most renowned fantasy Profs... He has breakthrough and respected works on Celtic and Norweigen fantasy.... he studied (along with others) and concluded that Hary Potter books were a good study of... SCHOOL... even Rowling admitted that this was what the books were about,.,,

Anyone remember Dungens and Dragons.. you know, when I was little, that was advocating Satanism and do not even GET me into the Color Purple and To Kill a Mockingbird... (other books that people have been trying to ban for years)

And no, it is not a southern thing. It is an uninformed, 12th grade education, ladies who lunch and have nothing better to do but advoacte against something they probably have not even read themselves thing.

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
This was my favorite: a couple of years ago we had a school board member here in Portland trying to get Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn banned because of the "n-word" (obviously not getting that the books are ANTI-RACISM satire). The best part was that eventually it came out in a public meeting that he hadn''t read either one! Duh.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock

They need to have Child Protective Services down there. She seems like an unfit mother. Psychologically unstable. Deserves an investigation at least. In public with media all around asking if she's crazy.
11.gif

I agree that this lady is . . . shall we politely say 'misguided', to say the least, but where did we get that she should be investigated by CPS? In this country parents have the right to raise their kids to believe any crazy thing they see fit.

Hence my
11.gif
smiley. She wants attention, we can give her attention. Media folk asking her if she's crazy. Child protective service in the background. Even if later on, the "investigation" deems her to be odd, but not unfit, there's a bunch of negative attention with onlookers going, "Wow. CPS is concerned enough to investigate."

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/5/2006 2:19:26 PM

11.gif

Hence my
11.gif
smiley. She wants attention, we can give her attention. Media folk asking her if she''s crazy. Child protective service in the background. Even if later on, the ''investigation'' deems her to be odd, but not unfit, there''s a bunch of negative attention with onlookers going, ''Wow. CPS is concerned enough to investigate.''
OK, I don''t want to become that lady, getting my undies in a bunch about nothing . . . but as a mom your suggestion still stirs me up a little. Think of it this way: I don''t agree with some opinion of yours, Codex, so instead of arguing based on the facts, I falsely accuse you of some crime in order to discredit you. I''m sure you aren''t seriously suggesting that someone should accuse this lady of being an unfit mother, but I want to make sure we''re thinking through what we''re talking about here. How about if we let her ideas stand or fall on their own merit (or lack of it)?

I''m done now.
1.gif

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
You don''t have to falsely accuse her of anything. Just check on her kids to make sure they''re all right. She''s acting a little strange. If that''s all there is, great. But just cuz someone has some beliefs doesn''t make it alright. It''s like strict vegans who don''t allow their newborn children to drink any milk or formulae. Certain beliefs can be harmful to a child''s health. It''s something you should check out for the sake of the children.

It''s an investigation, not a charge for being negligent of her kids. There''s a difference. If that riles you up as a mom, good. Maybe it''ll rile her up and at least make it hit home for her how she''s affecting other people, and not in a good way.

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
What danger is she posing to her kids? CPS isn't going to go randomly check in on them without a good reason.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE Harry Potter! Does anyone know when the next book comes out?

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
The thing that makes me craziest is that a lot of parents are "so concerned" what their kids are reading--- yet they''ll let them watch anything on TV. AHHHH!

Alisoun

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/5/2006 8:38:31 PM
Author: gailrmv
I LOVE Harry Potter! Does anyone know when the next book comes out?

Hmm.. I''ve heard rumors that it will be released sometime in the summer of ''07, but I don''t think JK Rowling has confirmed that. I know the next HP movie is scheduled to be released this July, though.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results