shape
carat
color
clarity

Happy Ending to a Fun Purchase that Turned into the Project from Hell

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
While waiting for some work to be done at one of my local benches, I saw these cute flower cluster earrings. They were in her CZ case and thus affordable. A fun purchase, not an investment...right?

Then after seeing a preloved post for Frivole earrings, I realize they are VCA knockoffs. UGH. (I always associated VCA with clovers, lol)

I can't wear designer knockoffs (too much guilt) so rather then relegate them to sitting forever in a box, I decided to replace the CZs with colored stones so no one would confuse them with a VCA piece. After all, I have lots of leftover melee from other projects and my bench is really inexpensive, right?

Well, nothing was the right size except for my hauynes - however, I am a hauyne addict so was excited for another chance to use them. I figure finding 2.5mm stones in other colors would be inexpensive enough and easy to find. But then I didn't account for the fact that the prongs would not easily accommodate the slight variations found in colored stones which were too deep, a tad too large, a tad too small, etc. Oh-and my jeweler offers me the matching ring she had set aside for herself. Since I had an extra hauyne, I buy it. (Only to have the hauyne crack later when setting...when it rains, it pours).

Many stone purchases and as many trips to the jeweler only to end up with not just earrings but also a ring - in various combinations of set and missing stones. It felt like I kept putting more money into something that would never get done...time to eat the sunk costs. Ready to call it quits and scrap the pieces, Yvonne suggested I send her the settings so she could try to find stones that matched and fit. It took awhile but thanks to her, we have a happy ending!

So multiple stone vendors/shipments, many trips to my jeweler, an additional ring purchase (and a not mentioned a stone lost in route) later...here it is:

20220805_114321.jpg 20220805_194152.jpg

Deets: 18K WG, hauyne, pink spinel, emeralds, 4th stone in the ring is a paraiba tourmaline.

Upon hearing it was done, I was admittedly more relieved than excited. I bought the earrings because I thought they were fun - not because they were my dream pieces...and was at a point whereI just wanted it done so I could move on. But the color combined with the flower motifs adds to the fun and I think they will get a lot of wear. The End :)

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They look like fun!! I don’t look at the finished product and think #knockoff at all. I’m thinking “inspired-by”, and “tuned to her own vision of lighthearted and flirty” :bigsmile: :appl:

Congrats!! And cheers to happy endings!!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They look like fun!! I don’t look at the finished product and think #knockoff at all. I’m thinking “inspired-by”, and “tuned to her own vision of lighthearted and flirty” :bigsmile: :appl:

Congrats!! And cheers to happy endings!!

Phew! Thank you..that was my hope in replacing the CZs with colored stones. Actually hearing this, I can wear them guilt free.:saint:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phew! Thank you..that was my hope in replacing the CZs with colored stones. Actually hearing this, I can wear them guilt free.:saint:

Haha actually to be totally honest neither that ring style nor those earrings come in white metal anyway, and never have! So they would have had to be special orders, which are kind of inherently customizations! But I like your versions better than all-white-CZ, the colours are more cheerful and summery :bigsmile:

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha actually to be totally honest neither that ring style nor those earrings come in white metal anyway, and never have!

Even better...and I do love them more with the CS so perhaps it was meant to all happen.

As an FYI - my internal guilt on wearing/owning replicas is in no way a judgement on others who do. They can be fun and most of us can't afford the real thing. It's a totally irrational quirk of mine whereas I will have no problem complimenting others on the same.

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
While waiting for some work to be done at one of my local benches, I saw these cute flower cluster earrings. They were in her CZ case and thus affordable. A fun purchase, not an investment...right?

Then after seeing a preloved post for Frivole earrings, I realize they are VCA knockoffs. UGH. (I always associated VCA with clovers, lol)

I can't wear designer knockoffs (too much guilt) so rather then relegate them to sitting forever in a box, I decided to replace the CZs with colored stones so no one would confuse them with a VCA piece. After all, I have lots of leftover melee from other projects and my bench is really inexpensive, right?

Well, nothing was the right size except for my hauynes - however, I am a hauyne addict so was excited for another chance to use them. I figure finding 2.5mm stones in other colors would be inexpensive enough and easy to find. But then I didn't account for the fact that the prongs would not easily accommodate the slight variations found in colored stones which were too deep, a tad too large, a tad too small, etc. Oh-and my jeweler offers me the matching ring she had set aside for herself. Since I had an extra hauyne, I buy it. (Only to have the hauyne crack later when setting...when it rains, it pours).

Many stone purchases and as many trips to the jeweler only to end up with not just earrings but also a ring - in various combinations of set and missing stones. It felt like I kept putting more money into something that would never get done...time to eat the sunk costs. Ready to call it quits and scrap the pieces, Yvonne suggested I send her the settings so she could try to find stones that matched and fit. It took awhile but thanks to her, we have a happy ending!

So multiple stone vendors/shipments, many trips to my jeweler, an additional ring purchase (and a not mentioned a stone lost in route) later...here it is:

Deets: 18K WG, hauyne, pink spinel, emeralds, 4th stone in the ring is a paraiba tourmaline.

Upon hearing it was done, I was admittedly more relieved than excited. I bought the earrings because I thought they were fun - not because they were my dream pieces...and was at a point whereI just wanted it done so I could move on. But the color combined with the flower motifs adds to the fun and I think they will get a lot of wear. The End :)

Gorgeous result!!! I especially love the ring!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous result!!! I especially love the ring!

Thank you and now I am very happy I bought the ring...although it complicated things and created a lot more angst over what I spent when I thought the project wouldn't get done.

Timor

Shiny_Rock
Phew what a trip. So sad about the stone lost and cracked, but the ring you posted is gorgeous!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

wow !
im not familiar of who the original pieces were trying to imitate
but wow !
these are now great pieces

you have made them your own !
well done !
and also good on you for seeing it through, ddespite your doubts
it is certainly worth it

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
im not familiar of who the original pieces were trying to imitate
but wow !
these are now great pieces
As VCA is way outside of my jewelry spend, I wasn't familiar with these pieces either (obviously)..but here is their original: https://www.vancleefarpels.com/at/e...---frivole-earrings-3-flowers-mini-model.html

Despite the costly mistakes, there is comfort that I have what I feel is a more colorful/fun take at a fraction of the cost. Glad you like them too!

They are absolutely gorgeous!!!!!

Insane process to get there but they look amazing!!!!!!! Hope you enjoy them!!!!!

Thank you!

Where I went wrong (and lesson learned) was thinking that replacing small stones would be easier than larger stones. I've set many a CS in preloved or stock settings without issue. But in hindsight had never done it with melee size before. While I knew CS are typically deeper, the smaller the prongs/setting were way less forgiving towards any variation and even the difference of .2 mm will make a stone unworkable.

Phew what a trip. So sad about the stone lost and cracked, but the ring you posted is gorgeous!

Of course, both the lost and cracked stones were hauynes...the more expensive and harder to find (especially in a particular size) of the lot. I am addicated to their intense blue color. They are known to be fragile so I usually allow an extra for breakage - but the ring used that leaving no room for 1 mishap, much less 2. Thank you for the kind words!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results