clarity

Happy Ending to a Crummy Situation for Toby the Cat

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow! Thanks for posting! It made my day! I also clicked on the link to see where the SPCA Walk fundraiser would be, so I could join! Ugh! Wrong coast and I should look out by me and see if there is one scheduled!

No judgement on the family though..really dont understand it, but glad it turned out for Toby!

Gabbycat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I just have never understood why people get animals in the first place if they have no intention of loving or taking care of them. What is the point? You pay to feed them, but you have nothing to do with them otherwise and then ditch them?? Just don't get the animal in the first place! But I'm glad the kitty was able to find a better home.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always say that if you take an animal into your home, you are responsible for that animal's welfare, no matter what.
Bite the damn bullet and pay the vet when that animal needs care.
Try to understand when your animal is exhibiting strange behavior, and fix the situation, instead of kicking the animal out of your home.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We adopted our current cat from a shelter.
He had two names listed on his microchip.
We soon found out that he's a biter. I strongly suspect that he had been sent to the shelter twice for biting.
We've had him for 5 years now. After lots of love and kindness from us, he has vastly improved. He still bites sometimes, but we know when he is becoming agressive, and we respect that. Maybe he was weaned too soon.
We took him in, and this is his forever home.
My point is that sending pets to the shelter is not an option.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for sharing the happy outcome @the_mother_thing. Such an upsetting story. Animals are *not* disposable and people who think they are have no business adopting a pet into their family. And I am OK judging people who behave so irresponsibly and horribly toward another living being let alone their fur baby. So relieved for the happy outcome.:appl::appl::appl:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just for those who don't click. Look at this face.:kiss2:

toby.jpg

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just for those who don't click. Look at this face.:kiss2:

toby.jpg

Quick summary for those who don't click:

They gave him to a new family. He loved them so much, he walked 12 miles to get back to them. They repaid his love by taking him to the shelter and asking that they euthanize him. Luckily, the shelter reached out to another and they found him a real family.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That part made me so angry. Where do these people get off telling a shelter to kill the poor cat?! :angryfire:

I know. As it is, many shelters in certain areas have a 90% or greater kill rate for cats to begin with. Surrendering is nearly as direct as asking for them to euthanize. In a crazy sort of way, knowing his story and them being SO despicable made people sympathetic and saved his life.

What a messed up world!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@TooPatient Thank you for the brief summary. Just looking at the subject of the story made my heart race and my stomach drop. I can't take anything to do with animal cruelty at all. I'm so glad he found a good home!

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I saw this story earlier. I am so glad he found a home. I could never ever give up any of my babies unless it was for their benefit and I could no longer take care of them myself. And boy would i have to be in pretty bad shape...

When i adopted them i agreed to take care of them the rest of their lives. In sickness and in health. Which especially is resonating with me right now because my boy might have cancer. I could not ever imagine dumping him or any animal that trusted me to love them and take care of them. I need to go hug my kitty some more x.x

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000 your boy is so lucky to have found you. Thank you for loving him unconditionally.
He's mostly a good boy. He loves hugs and kisses. But it seems like he doesn't know how to play without becoming aggressive.
Perhaps he was taunted as a kitten, or abused. We'll never know. But we love him!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We adopted our current cat from a shelter.
He had two names listed on his microchip.
We soon found out that he's a biter. I strongly suspect that he had been sent to the shelter twice for biting.
We've had him for 5 years now. After lots of love and kindness from us, he has vastly improved. He still bites sometimes, but we know when he is becoming agressive, and we respect that. Maybe he was weaned too soon.
We took him in, and this is his forever home.
My point is that sending pets to the shelter is not an option.

I am so glad you love and accept your pet with his behavior problems that probably are not his fault. I learned from the vet that kittens who have not been exposed to humans in the first three weeks of life will always be somewhat feral and may bite or scratch no matter how much love they receive later in life. After rescuing a 3 week old kitten under my porch (his litter mate was dead and the vet recommended I take him) I can verify this is true. They need special and patient humans like you Stacci.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He's mostly a good boy. He loves hugs and kisses. But it seems like he doesn't know how to play without becoming aggressive.
Perhaps he was taunted as a kitten, or abused. We'll never know. But we love him!

I understand totally. I have plenty of behavioral issues with my boy cat that affect our lives every day. And he's not gentle when he plays so I am careful when I play with him. I respect his issues. I do fear some of the behaviors may get worse as he gets older. But never in a million years would I ever surrender him to a shelter.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad he found a new home! :angryfire:To his original "family".

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stracci, that's a beautiful thing to do, so glad your kitty has you!

I could cry for the poor cat in the story, I really do despair.....But so glad he got his happy ending.

It's interesting, I rescued a poor desperate Mama cat back in 2012, she was ready to pop with kittens. She was so happy I was able to grab her and get her to safety and as my reward, she involved me in her labour and strained with her back feet braced against my arm. Anyway, the kittens were almost born into my hand, we kept them all five and even now they're coming up 6 years old, still two in particular remain very very timid. Then we have their probable Father ( both Mama and Father have been fixed), he was a feral who know lives in the house and he's as daft as a brush.

I still wonder why a couple of the kittens remain timid and yet I've tamed feral after feral, makes me think it's just in some cats.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have 3 rescue cats. I had a 4th, an elderly Siamese named Boo who passed recently. He was a sweet old cat...and now I'm crying thinking about him.. His owners were moving and didn't want to take him. WTF. Who does that? I could barely look at this woman when she dropped him off.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful puss, so glad it all worked out for him.

Our beautiful girl was dumped at the vet to be put to sleep, because they’d allowed their other dog to terrorise her for 2 1/2 yrs. :x2 fortunately the vet contacted breed rescue, and we were lucky enough to rehome her.

She’s the sweetest, best behaved, good natured dog you’re ever likely to come across.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have 3 rescue cats. I had a 4th, an elderly Siamese named Boo who passed recently. He was a sweet old cat...and now I'm crying thinking about him.. His owners were moving and didn't want to take him. WTF. Who does that? I could barely look at this woman when she dropped him off.

I'm so sorry doberman, but very glad he had you to love him. We still miss our Siamese and he's been at The Bridge 17 years now.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Our beautiful girl was dumped at the vet to be put to sleep, because they’d allowed their other dog to terrorise her for 2 1/2 yrs. :x2 fortunately the vet contacted breed rescue, and we were lucky enough to rehome her.

She’s the sweetest, best behaved, good natured dog you’re ever likely to come across.

Some people should never be allowed near precious animals, let alone have one!!!:angryfire: Very glad for the lovely vet and for you!

I had a similar situation about 6 years ago, one of my vets asked if I'd take an unwanted cat. She was brought to her to be PTS by a horrible man who said she was dirty, old and ill and to ' put it out of its misery.':angryfire::angryfire::angryfire::angryfire::angryfire::angryfire::angryfire: My vet refused and gave him a lecture he'd never forget. She asked around and the rescues were of course full, so I was this cat's last hope.

So of course I said I'd take her, no way was I going to let her be killed! Poor thing was so abused she was absolutely terrified. Once she recovered enough she made her way to my neighbours who'd fallen in love with her and she decided to live with them as the companion to a man with a serious illness. The man absolutely adores her and she has every comfort including home made chicken broth, she deserves it all!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're an angel for taking him in and giving him a loving home! My condolences on your loss. :cry2:

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're an angel for taking him in and giving him a loving home! My condolences on your loss. :cry2:

Thank you. I get very emotional over my animals. I still miss my first Doberman, what a great dog she was. The one thing I hate about animals is the fact that they have such short lives.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Especially big dogs @doberman :(2

Thank you @Lorelei - her previous owners didn’t deserve to have such a beautiful girl. She came to us very traumatised, but with patience and love, she’s come through it.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Austina
@Lorelei So true about dobies. My current girl is 10.:(sad So wonderful you both saved the life of deserving animals. People like you give me a tiny bit of faith in humanity.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

You did a wonderful thing Austina! I'm sure she is relieved to be out of that awful situation, and so happy to be in a loving home.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some people should never be allowed near precious animals, let alone have one!!!:angryfire: Very glad for the lovely vet and for you!

I had a similar situation about 6 years ago, one of my vets asked if I'd take an unwanted cat. She was brought to her to be PTS by a horrible man who said she was dirty, old and ill and to ' put it out of its misery.':angryfire::angryfire::angryfire::angryfire::angryfire::angryfire::angryfire: My vet refused and gave him a lecture he'd never forget. She asked around and the rescues were of course full, so I was this cat's last hope.

So of course I said I'd take her, no way was I going to let her be killed! Poor thing was so abused she was absolutely terrified. Once she recovered enough she made her way to my neighbours who'd fallen in love with her and she decided to live with them as the companion to a man with a serious illness. The man absolutely adores her and she has every comfort including home made chicken broth, she deserves it all!
Yay! Happy to hear a good ending for a kitty in need, Lorelei! All pets need to be adored!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results