shape
carat
color
clarity

Happily Ever After... My 4ct OEC from JbEG!

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
So, a couple of weeks ago I finally received my long dreamed of ring, featuring “Gladys”, my 4ct GIA L SI2 OEC (and yes, the name seems to have stuck).

I’m not a fan of calling her an “upgrade” as I didn’t sell or trade my engagement ring in to buy her and I still wear my engagement ring about half of the time (a legacy style halo ring with a 1.5ct radiant). She is our anniversary ring as we celebrate 10 years together next year.

As background, I had often joked with Mr K about getting a gigantic diamond to celebrate our big anniversary and he would smile and pat me on the head, non-commitally. We have had a lot going on in our lives over the past few years and a long planned house renovation has been delayed multiple times so to make amends, he offered to buy me my rock a little earlier than our anniversary.

Around the same time, I received the JbEG Sneak Peek featuring the one and only Gladys and I was absolutely transfixed. As soon as Mr K said that I should start thinking about looking for a stone, I pulled it up onscreen for him. He was slightly taken a back as he thought it might take a few months to find something, plus he hadn’t really thought about an antique stone, even though I had been banging on about them for months. He was worried there wouldn’t be enough sparkle in an OEC but after seeing some of the videos on JbEG’s website, he was fairly comfortable that they would be and ultimately I was the one who was going to wear it so he told me to buy what I wanted. I started chatting with Erica about her and before you know it, we had placed a deposit on her (8th August).

Once we had paid for her in full, a little over 2 weeks later, we started the CAD design process. CADs took a little longer than expected (due to time zones and the fact we were overseas so internet was not fabulous), and some questions back and forth but I approved the design for manufacture at the end of September.

Despite the quoted time of 3-4 weeks, it ended up taking 6 weeks to get to me. Unfortunately she had to be sent back to the jeweller as she was set crooked (she is slightly cushiony and one of the corners was set poking up towards the nail), plus there were a few other delays, but finally, mid November, I had her in my hands.

I have delayed putting this up on Pricescope because I wanted to live with her for a couple of weeks before sharing my story. Nothing bad, I just wanted to be sure. I have never owned an old cut and although I have seen many, both on here and in antique stores, living with one is very different to just looking.

When I first got her I was stunned at how little she was (that’s what comes from staring at super magnified pictures on the internet for 3 months!!). Even Mr K said she was smaller than he thought. She is clearly the right size but I was honestly expecting something the size of a dinner plate to arrive ;-) Having said that, the more I have worn her over the past few weeks, the more I can see she is just the perfect size for me. Despite a couple of comments (including one from my mother about being careful not to be mugged), I feel very comfortable wearing her around. I definitely don’t think she is too big and nor is she too small! She is, as Goldilocks would say “just right”.

Colourwise, she is brighter than bright. A soft white, she shows no tint top down until you place her alongside a whiter diamond. You can see a slight yellow tint from the side, but only on a white background. There are no dark spots at all – she is a true fireball. Lots of pastely flashes and bright light. She is very symmetrical for an old cut and with the slight cushiony outline, I feel like I have the best of both worlds: a cross between an OEC and a vintage cushion.

The setting is lovely. So delicate and fine. The teeniest diamonds ever on the basket and the claws are exquisitely fine. She is elegant in her simplicity.

But…

Okay, there is a but. A teeny tiny but.

I don’t think I am a solitaire girl. GAAAH!!

The ring is exquisite. It’s so very very beautiful, but I always seem to have worn haloed gems or more intricate rings so it’s been a big adjustment for me to wear something so very plain (listen to me, Princess much??). The initial thought was to have it set in a solitaire so I can work out what I want to do long term with the stone because I have never had something this big to wear and I was worried a more intricate setting would be overwhelming.

Quite a few of my friends have commented that she is so plain compared to what I usually wear. In a nice way, of course (I hope they aren’t suggesting I am far too blingy!!). But she is. From the top down she is exquisitely plain. All you see is diamond. You can just see the teeny claws and the band and just big sparkly Gladys.

I think the other hesitation I have is that my engagement ring, including the halo, is about 11mm across, so if you don’t look all that closely, Gladys actually looks smaller than my engagement ring (even though she clearly isn’t).

The upshot is that I will probably wear it as a solitaire for a while and then try and track down a pair of sidestones for her and turn her into the most spectacular three stone ring in a few years. Even Mr K said he thinks she needs a little something (and that says a lot). At this point I am not sure if I will go for pears or little OECs (possibly 0.5ct each) but for the moment I am loving her and wearing her (now she is insured). I did think about haloing her down the track (now I completely understand why SB haloed Venice), but my engagement ring has a halo and I wanted something different. A three stone I think is nice for the way it represents the past, present and future and is a great concept for an anniversary ring.

The other “but” is the sizing of the ring. I asked for her to be made as a size 5.25 which is bigger than my engagement ring (sized at just under a 5). When she arrived she felt a little tight, but it’s been humid here and my fingers do swell a bit when it’s warm. Over the past few weeks I have noticed she is even tight when it’s cold, so I had a jeweller check her size and she isn’t the right size. She has been sized at between a 4.75 and a 5, which is annoying. I had another jeweller check again and he said 4.75. So it’s somewhere between a ¼ and ½ a size too small. When I told Erica about the mistake she said that it was unfortunate but not uncommon and there is no unified system of calibration for these things. Whereas here was I thinking a size meant a size…

What is really unfortunate is that my jeweller (who I trust) will charge me $150 for it to be resized so I can wear it comfortably, and after spending all that money on the setting I am a bit peeved I have to have it fixed when I had allowed for it to be a little bigger in the first place. I clearly cannot send it back to Erica to be rectified as I live in Australia and the shipping outweighs the cost of the resizing. Erica suggested I look for another jeweller and “shop around”, but unfortunately that’s pretty much market rates for a good manufacturing jeweller where I live (Australia is tres expensive like that). Plus I trust him, and I have had pieces mangled by other jewellers in the past who have charged almost the same rate, so I don’t want to give it to anyone else to play with. I can squeeze it on with my wedding band but I can’t wear my eternity band with her at the moment and I really really want to. The only downer in what was a pretty exceptional overall experience.

So, without much further ado, here are some pictures!!

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock

_12165.jpg

_12166.jpg

_12167.jpg

_12168.jpg

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock

_12169.jpg

_12170.jpg

_12171.jpg

_12172.jpg

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow, that's a beautiful cushiony OEC!!! I say get it sized and enjoy it to the max! :love: :love: :love:

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
With my engagement ring (GIA G VS2) which shows the tiniest hint of colour:

_12173.jpg

_12174.jpg

_12175.jpg

_12176.jpg

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
It's gorgeous and the finger coverage is perfection!!! May I ask what the center stone size is on the halo?

Julysnight

Rough_Rock
Stunning! I love the simplicity of it.

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you! I am totally in love.

The halo is a 1.5ct radiant. From memory 6.5mm x 7mm.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, congrats it looks huge and amazing!!!! Maybe if you get bored you should put a halo around the stone, one of Victor's halos will NOT look like your existing halo or like anything we see here!!!!

Daisyoz

Shiny_Rock
That is a gorgeous stone! Congrats! I do dream of owning an OEC one day :).

Where do you live in Australia? I live in Melbourne and recently had to resize my Whiteflash ring down and it cost $90. May be sizing up will cost more? Interestingly my SO ordered my ring size at 4.25 but the platinum smith we went to to resize the ring said it actually was a 4. Is there a discrepancy between the same US system used in Oz and in the US?

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely stunning!! And whilst I agree with your friend that its not as bling as you usually wear, it doesn't NEED anymore bling! It is graceful & classic & in your face. Perfection! :love:

Just with the sizing (about which I find the comments from the jeweler a bit weird & I agree with you - a size is a size to an enth degree, whereas you are talking considerable difference) can you not have your trusted local jeweler do the work & invoice your jeweler in the US who should have done it right in the first place? Its a little rough that you are having to fork out for something you have technically already paid for :nono:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! Its really gorgeous!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just gorgeous! I love an old cut solitaire because it is elegant and classic. :love: Perfection doesn't need anything extra IMO.
Wear her in health and happiness!

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful!

kat08

Rough_Rock
Alex T|1385380912|3562443 said:
Absolutely stunning!! And whilst I agree with your friend that its not as bling as you usually wear, it doesn't NEED anymore bling! It is graceful & classic & in your face. Perfection! :love:

Just with the sizing (about which I find the comments from the jeweler a bit weird & I agree with you - a size is a size to an enth degree, whereas you are talking considerable difference) can you not have your trusted local jeweler do the work & invoice your jeweler in the US who should have done it right in the first place? Its a little rough that you are having to fork out for something you have technically already paid for :nono:

This. If the sizing really is that off, you shouldn't have to pay to fix it.

Lovely ring!!!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Absolutely lovely diamond and setting! Erica should be paying for the resizing.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
MSC!!! First off I love that setting. Truly I do and I think adding the diamonds to the swooping part was fantastic. It looks so elegant and classic. I have to say a part of me is slightly vindicated when I see other ladies who got upgrades/ anniversary rings etc that just don’t love the solitaire look with an antique stone. I thought I would. I thought it would be sooooooo classic it would sweep me off my feet. But honestly I think after seeing so many of them now I can say that antique cuts just don’t mesh with solitaires. It is like running a horse into a wall (as I tell my husband). A solitaire is just very stark and contemporary looking to me. While antique stones have these facets that throw color and so much personality all over the place. I now see now why art deco settings are so intricate. They actually need to compete and hold their own with the diamond.

Regardless I think your solitare is absolutely stunning but down the road if you change it I can't wait to see what you do. I have always loved this setting. I had though about using it for my 2ct MRB. I love the top down view is classic but the side view is more intricate. Perhaps it will be of interest or inspirtation for your 3 stone down the rd??

_12181.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A beauty with brains! Your stone is gorgeous and so is your ring. She is powerful enough as a standalone ring, but the bands combine lovely with her. Enjoy wearing your lovely ring. And I agree with the other: JbEG should pay for the resizing.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring and stone is very beautiful. Lovely. Give your eyes some time to adjust to the look and size of her. She is huge!! Really!! But allow yourself some more time with her, at least another 1-2 years and then let us know what you think about it. Hope you enjoy her. She is just ginormous! Already makes a huge statement on her own.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is such a bummer about the sizing, but the ring is gorgeous! Congratulations!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
She's lovely! I'm sorry that you don't think this will be your forever setting...that's so frustrating! Enjoy her now and take your time looking at settings...you will know when you find "the one". Whatever you end up doing, Gladys is so gorgeous, she'll make any setting sing!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went through the pictures before I read the story.. I'm madly in love with your setting..... I think it is over the top fabulous and then I read you didn't love it... It showcases your beautiful diamond yet makes it the "star".... I so love the look of the solitarie so clean and timeless from a past halo owner... which I also loved but a solitarie just fit my lifestyle better. Your ring is fabulous!!! Enjoy!!!!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's fabulous!!! :love: Gladys is absolutely gorgeous, and the setting is beautiful! Love the swoop of diamonds, makes for a lovely profile - and your bands look so great with it! It certainly looks really substantial on your hand too! Sounds like you are seriously considering changing the setting down the road, and I don't think I'd write off a halo if you decide you want a little more hand presence - I agree with arkieb that a delicate halo will look different from your ering.

So sorry about the sizing issue…I agree with PP's that JbEG should pay for the resizing.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful!! And huge!

Sorry about the ring sizing issue; that is very annoying and I do not think it should be off by that much. Yes, all jewelers use different mandrels, but that wouldn't result in it being so off.

Abby12

Shiny_Rock
Love your ring!
I agree JPEG should definitely pay for resizing! That should not even be a question!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
What a stunning rock :love: :love: :love: I agree with those suggesting a delicate pave halo, maybe with some vintage-y detail in the basket...

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love it!! :love: :love: :love:

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi folks,

Just hopping on to offer a bit of clarification about sizing.

One thing that I want to be clear on is that we did not deny a request by Misskittycat to reimburse her for sizing. I feel that the tone of this thread implies that we refused to do this for her, which is not the case.

When MisskittyCat alerted me to the sizing issue, I immediately checked our records and spoke with our jeweler - the ring was indeed made to a US size 5.25, per our jeweler's mandrel. As we know, mandrels are not universally calibrated and there might also be additional variances that exist between US and AUS sizing. But I do always double check sizing against the work order for all finished pieces before shipping. We've even made rings specifying sizes down to 1/8 of a size (for example 5.125) and have not had any clients (that I can remember) who have been unhappy with our sizing accuracy thus far. I'm not saying this to minimize Misskittycat's experience - I just want to illustrate that our jeweler's sizing scale appears to be accurate as far as US standards go.

In Misskittycat's email to me, she told me that two local jewelers measured the ring at a J 1/2, which is equivalent to a US size 5 per the usual conversion charts. I don't know how accurate the sizing conversion charts are, nor do I know anything about a 4.75 size reading from a third jeweler - this is new information to me. All correspondence to date has been with regards to a sizing discrepancy of 1/4 size.

She told me that she was quoted $150 for resizing up 1/4 size, to which I responded that the price seemed very high for such a small sizing job on a plain shank, and I did encourage her to check pricing with a few other jewelers because the price seemed outrageous for what should be a very simple sizing job (a higher price is understandable if additional metal needs to be added when one is going up in size by a more substantial amount, or if there's pave on the shank, etc.) I feel badly that she took offense to this comment, as I truly didn't mean anything by it - I thought that we were still in the middle of an ongoing friendly conversation about her ring and the high price she was quoted concerned me.

At this point I'm not sure if the sizing problem is due to Misskittycat giving us the wrong US-equivalent size when the order was placed, if this is due to a discrepancy across borders, or due to the fact that mandrels are not universally calibrated. Any of the above could easily explain the 1/4 size variance.

At the end of the day we want Misskittycat to be happy and have no issue with reimbursing her for the sizing fee.

Misskittycat, I hope that you love your ring and I'm sorry that you felt I was being less than helpful regarding the sizing problem. Had you asked for a reimbursement, I would have happily agreed to do so. I still feel that $150 is very high for the job at hand, but I realize now that this is the only jeweler you’re comfortable using (I was not aware of this until I saw this thread) and, truly, our relationship with you is worth far more than $150.

Please email me a copy of your receipt from the jeweler and your preferred method of reimbursement and I’ll take care of it.

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
I would just like to make it very very clear that I never asked Erica to cover the cost of the resizing. And as such, she never said she wouldn't. I was more peeved at the situation than anything, after waiting for so long to get her, and certainly not my JbEG experience. Erica has never been anything other than charming, lovely and fully accommodating. I honestly cannot recommend them highly enough.

Thank you so much for offering, Erica, but at this point I think I am going to chalk it up to one of those "lost in translation" things. A third jeweller has sized it as a 4.75 and as you can see three different jewelers say three slightly different things (however, everyone does agree that it wasn't the 5.25 I asked for). It is smaller than my engagement ring which is a smidge under a 5 because I can easily wear my eternity band with that ring and I can't with Gladys and they are the same shank thickness.

It's really unfortunate that Australia is such a pricey market for jewellery manufacturing. I had my eternity resized about 7 months ago by a local jeweller who charged $100 to take it down from a 6 to a 5.5 and managed to crack one of the bezeled diamonds in the process. He also left black residue in one of the bezels. He replaced the diamond eventually (it was a teeny one) but it took so long for the residue to be scrubbed out. I know a resize on a plain shank should be super easy but after that experience, I am unlikely to trust any other bench other than my usual jeweler (who, incidentally, is quite a way away and not overly convenient to get to).

You would think he would also give be a bit of a break, given he has made three rings and two pairs of earrings for me over the past 6 years, but apparently not. He charges $110 to alter anything he has made and "up to $150" for anything he hasn't. His work, however, is exceptional and I know I can trust him. She will come back to me in pristine condition.

Having said that I think I will sit on it for a little while. The ring will be plenty big enough in winter I would think, and there is always the option of not wearing my eternity. And if it does bug me I can get it done after Christmas. But for now I will just wear her with my wedding ring which isn't too squishy!

:)

Thank you for all the lovely comments about the ring and the stone - I will come back and answer them individually when I get a moment!! I honestly never thought I would be as privileged as I am to own such a rare and beautiful diamond. She is just the business.

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
Can you post pictures with your bands? Would love to see how they look!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results