shape
carat
color
clarity

Handmade milgrain bezel studs or martini earrings?

Jasmine99

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi, I’m hoping to get some advice from you please… I’m planning to get a pair of Brian Gavin earrings, total carat around 1ct, so 0.50ct each (my earlobes are small, so I think this is good size for everyday). I’m debating which setting I should get: Handmade martini or milgrain bezel studs? Photos below. I like the look of both, and would like to get the setting that’s most compatible/flattering with 0.50ct diamonds. Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated. If you have relevant photos to share, that would be wonderful. Thank you so much!

Photo 18-12-19, 11 06 00.jpg Photo 18-12-19, 11 05 36.jpg

Jasmine99

Rough_Rock
Trade
Perhaps four prong and jackets are worth considering too. Here is a group photo...

Hope to hear your thoughts. Thank you!

454A6AA9-9D4A-4E07-8ECE-AB32A5D20AF8.jpeg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not an expert on stud earrings but just thinking aloud here. If you want to add some visual interest and size perhaps the handmade bezels are the way to go? Any of the choices you have shared are lovely however and it is a matter of personal preference. Which look do you prefer on your ears?

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Milgraine bezel :love:
I mean this is somewhat subjective of course but we had a thread on Martinis not being comfy.
If I wore prong set studs they would be 4 or 6 prong baskets most likely six for the visual impression of roundness, matching and larger impression.
But I personally am really into the look of bezelled studs and they create the largest impression.

Jasmine99

Rough_Rock
Trade
I am not an expert on stud earrings but just thinking aloud here. If you want to add some visual interest and size perhaps the handmade bezels are the way to go? Any of the choices you have shared are lovely however and it is a matter of personal preference. Which look do you prefer on your ears?

Unfortunately I haven't tried any of them as I'm not in the states. So I can only look at the photos online and hear other people's opinion. I have bought from BGD before and have no doubt about their quality, just need to choose the setting, and they are all so beautiful...

Jasmine99

Rough_Rock
Trade
Milgraine bezel :love:
I mean this is somewhat subjective of course but we had a thread on Martinis not being comfy.
If I wore prong set studs they would be 4 or 6 prong baskets most likely six for the visual impression of roundness, matching and larger impression.
But I personally am really into the look of bezelled studs and they create the largest impression.

Thank you so much for your response. I wasn't aware of the 'issue' about martini setting, so that's very helpful. My girlfriends and husband all chose martini as it's simple and classy. I do think 4 or 6 prongs would be more compatible with round diamonds. And yes, milgrain bezel looks so pretty and different... Decision decision...

Jasmine99

Rough_Rock
Trade
I did find an old thread here saying that 0.50ct diamonds have a big price jump from 0.40ish stones, and not very good value if on tight budget. So I decided to look at stones under 0.50ct. However can't find any that's between 0.45 to 0.48... Found some 0.40 stones, would that be a lot smaller than 0.50 ones? It is a big saving though, about US$1800 for the pair. So I'm faced with two decisions now :(

Any advice on this? I'm still thinking about 0.50 stones but are they really worth the extra money?

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
I did find an old thread here saying that 0.50ct diamonds have a big price jump from 0.40ish stones, and not very good value if on tight budget. So I decided to look at stones under 0.50ct. However can't find any that's between 0.45 to 0.48... Found some 0.40 stones, would that be a lot smaller than 0.50 ones? It is a big saving though, about US$1800 for the pair. So I'm faced with two decisions now :(

Any advice on this? I'm still thinking about 0.50 stones but are they really worth the extra money?

Pairs like that are going to go fast for that exact reason, I'd contact BDG directly and discuss with them your concerns and what you're looking for. Look at the MM difference between the stones, that's where the visual size will come in. If you're interested in the bezel, that will also make them appear larger. I'd also second the advice of getting jackets. I have my jackets and I LOVE LOVE them. However, I thought the jackets weren't worth it from BDG, I went to IDJ and I believe mine were under or about $1k for pricescope quality .90ctw jackets to fit a 5mm center stone. I wear mine all the time with gemstones and diamond studs.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Do you have small or large earlobes? I have tiny earlobes but my neck is very long so somehow small earrings are lost on me. .4 each in an unhalo-d stud would be the minimum per ear for me but then it has to be bezelled and honestly I do prefer the around .5 per ear. Look at the mm too, not only the ct. And cut can make a huge difference.

You can also call around for other recommended vendors and try to get that .48 or so. Finding that in a pair can be really hard especially before xmas since stocks can be depleted and there are very few anyhow because cutters try to achieve the magic 0.5 weight.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results