shape
carat
color
clarity

Hand forged vs. cast for a plain wedding band

Viola

Shiny_Rock
Will one be able to see a difference between a hand forged plain 18K wedding band and one that's cast made?

Will there be a noticeable difference in the wear and tear? Years down the road?

I couldn't really find a thread about plain bands, as I know this subject has been discussed when it comes to diamond bands, pave, etc. where hand forged is an appreciated form of manufacturing.

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
I had a similar discussion with my spouse about this. He's an engineer and is familiar with metal fabrications etc....he is not a jeweler.
But as I was discussing ductility and the concept if air bubbles in casting etc he pointed out this is a ring, not an airplane part. The strength required is not so intense. There is a case for hand forging I'm sure, but I think for a solid band it would be difficult to discern the difference. And I do not think strength is likely to be an important factor in a plain band.
I have sort of romantic view of hand forging. I'd love to see the ring made, but I don't think it's a requirement for every project.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
For me personallly unless I'm doing a specific design or pave piece I wouldn't pay the preimum for hand forging. Go with CAST.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
For a plain wedding band, I would not pay the premium for a hand made piece.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Sarahbear621|1362934093|3401288 said:
For me personallly unless I'm doing a specific design or pave piece I wouldn't pay the preimum for hand forging. Go with CAST.

Ditto. I tend to think it gets taken to extreme sometimes that nothing cast is any good, whereas cast may be the best route to go sometimes and hand forged another.

From my long ago memory of taking jewelry classes the process of "hand forging" would run something like this for a simple band with no other added elements:

-Cut appropriate length of half round wire of the right gauge.
- file, shape, pre-polish, clean and prep
- solder
-clean and polish again

For such a simple item, I'd just go for a regular band and save the extra expense for something else (like a stacker). :)

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
If available, I prefer die-struck wedding bands because the metal gets compressed and is denser and more durable/scratch resistant.
ewedding bands offers diestruck bands. I like 18k for wedding bands - they feel richer :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that I would choose die struck if I were getting a gold band.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
For a plain band, I'd rather have die-struck vs either other option. Cast leaves too much option for porosity and that IS an issue.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am pretty sure from another thread that Jabel and maybe Benchmark do die-struck.

Viola

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the replies, I'm still a bit unsure about die striking actually making a real difference when it comes to a plain band.

This might be a stupid question, but how will the porosity show itself in a plain band?

I've checked out e-weddingbands.com as per recommendation, and I'll check out Benchmark aswell.

I never ever thought picking a wedding band would be such a hassle, we actually got the milgrained platinum band in 3mm from Tiffany's for me a while back, but returned it because we wanted somewhat matching bands, AND because I was unsure of the choice of metal, but it is beautiful. He really likes the Lucida band in 6mm in YG, so that's on top of our list for him, and I'm as of now looking for a YG band aswell, I sort of like the Tiffany Bezet band in 2.6mm width. I have a thing for yellow gold bands, so I'm soooort of thinking of maybe doing the unthinkable and get a YG band for my wedding ring, and plat or white gold for my diamond (engagement) ring. :errrr: :nono:

Here's a link to the Bezet band, has anyone seen this IRL?

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?fromGrid=1&sku=GRP02693&mcat=&cid=&search_params=s+1-p+1-c+-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+Bezet+band&search=1

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Viola|1363029759|3402137 said:
Thanks for all the replies, I'm still a bit unsure about die striking actually making a real difference when it comes to a plain band.

This might be a stupid question, but how will the porosity show itself in a plain band?
My jeweler once cast a ring for me that had porosity issues, and he promptly recast it. In this case there were little pit marks visible on the surface. Imagine tiny little gas bubbles rising to the surface of the liquid metal and then popping. They leave tiny little pits in the surface.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results