shape
carat
color
clarity

Hanadama studs in 6.5mm size?

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I can’t seem to find them in this smaller size. Should I just settle for top quality Akoya? I wonder how much of a difference it makes at that size. Thanks for reading and I appreciate any opinions you might have.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
...I wonder how much of a difference it makes at that size...

I can tell you the size difference, if it helps. It's easy to calculate the difference using math, which I'll explain below.
A 7.0mm pearl is 25% larger than a 6.5mm pearl.
A 7.5mm pearl is 53% larger than a 6.5mm pearl. You could also say the 7.5mm pearl is about one and a half times the size of the 6.5mm pearl.

Akoyas are sold in half-millimeter ranges. If a pair of studs is listed as 7.0-7.5mm it means the pearls will be somewhere between 7.0 and 7.5mm. Some pairs will be closer to 7.0mm and some will be closer to 7.5mm.
If you want studs that are smaller you could ask specifically for a pair that are closer to 7.0mm.
You could even ask the vendor if they can obtain any smaller ones in the range you desire.

Now to the explanation of how I arrived at the sizes. If math bores you , skip this part. ;)2

Round pearls are spheres, and their volume (their 3-dimensional size) can be calculated using the formula for volume of a sphere. V= 4/3 π (radius cubed)
• For a 6.5 mm pearl the volume is 144 cubic millimeters (rounded off).
• For a 7.0mm pearl the volume is 180 cubic mm
• For a 7.5mm pearl the volume is 221 cubic mm.

To get the difference we divide the volume of the larger pearl by the volume of the smaller pearl.

221 (volume of 7.5mm pearl) ÷ 144 (volume of 6.0mm pearl) = 1.53, or 53% larger.

180 (volume of 7.0mm pearl) ÷ 144 (volume of 6.5mm pearl) = 1.25 or 25% larger.

You can do the math with any pearl to figure out how much larger one pearl is than another. =)2

A relatively small increase in diameter makes for a relatively large increase in size.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also Pure Pearls has photos of different size earrings on a model (scroll down to find the earring photos:
https://www.purepearls.com/pearl-sizes.html

Do you have very petite ear lobes-- it that why you want small studs? I have huge ear lobes so I need larger ones. :P2

Or are you worried about the earrings sagging? Larger earring backs can stabilize the earring. But 7.0 or 7.5mm is not large and would not tend to sag.

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Also Pure Pearls has photos of different size earrings on a model (scroll down to find the earring photos:
https://www.purepearls.com/pearl-sizes.html

Do you have very petite ear lobes-- it that why you want small studs? I have huge ear lobes so I need larger ones. :P2

Or are you worried about the earrings sagging? Larger earring backs can stabilize the earring. But 7.0 or 7.5mm is not large and would not tend to sag.

Thanks for the detailed response! But I may not be too clear in my question, i am looking for smaller pearls in the 6.5-7mm size, I was wondering the if the superior luster of hanadama pearl is worth the premium over say AAA Akoyas? Given they will just be studs in a relatively small size.

And actually I happen to have decent size eat lobes, but I have a pair of 9mm Tahitians and I love them but don’t want anything larger, I also have a pair of 4mm Mikimoto wthat a a bit too small(high school graduation present), but I really feel like 6.5mm will be the sweet spot for white pearl studs.

NewBling123

Rough_Rock
I currently have the same dilemma - Hanadama versus AAA in smaller sizes.

In case this helps- I contacted Pearl Paradise last week. They checked and were able to source 6.5 mm natural white Hanadama for me. They said it would be a final order though since they don’t stock that size. I’m waiting to see if they have a Mother’s Day sale on the 7 mm before I pull the trigger. :D

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I understand. I do not own either AAA or hanadama akoyas but from what I have read, hanadama vs. AAA makes more of a difference when buying strands than when buying earrings, because earring pearls need to meet a high standard. Pearls in a strand can have more flaws.

Edited to add that the best of both worlds is getting the higher quality in the smaller size, and it seems PP can do it.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I could be wrong, however I believe Hanadamas are certified as strands only and not loose pearls.

DK :))

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are also certified as pairs, for earrings.

Perlotte

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,
I have been reading on lot on the forum to help me pick what a set of pearl for my grandma. We decided to go for Hanadama pearl necklace and earring during the mother sale of Pearl Paradise. Now I need your honest and expert opinion. Upon receiving it, I looked at the aurora effet on the Hanadama certificate. It seem to me that the necklace aurora effect is down to nothing compare to the earring. What do you think?Looks like the necklace is made of really low quality pearl compare to the earring and they are BOTH Hanadama. As you can see the one on the top : earring - the aurora effect is really nice as you see multiple color - the lower picture the aurora effect for the necklace is plain...almost no color at all. :(
32692568_900296973476292_7539456256495321088_n.jpg Hanadama Necklace.jpg

Perlotte

Rough_Rock
Here is the picture of the set mentionned above . we bought it for my Grandma on Mother's day. Hanadame set.jpg

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think what you should ask yourself is: What do the pearls look like in real life, in person? Are they beautiful?
Grandma won't be wearing the certificate. ;)2

Perlotte

Rough_Rock
I think what you should ask yourself is: What do the pearls look like in real life, in person? Are they beautiful?
Grandma won't be wearing the certificate. ;)2

I know but ...even that ...I am paying for the hanadama quality. why not ask for the better one..maybe one day it will be a heirloom!! :)

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The pearls in a necklace will not be the same as earring pearls. There is a higher standard for earring pearls.
You can always call PP and ask if they have a strand that looks better on paper. The question is, will the tone of the new necklace match the studs you already have? You might have to send both the studs and the necklace back to get a whole new set that are closely matched.

I think they look beautiful BTW.

Perlotte

Rough_Rock
Thank you :) I understand what you said, it was the plan if I want to send the necklace back I will have to send the whole set back as I ask for the earring and necklace to bet of the same color.

Perlotte

Rough_Rock
and just looking at the certificate from Pearl Paradise ....they send me a 7mm stud and we bought the 7.5 to 8mm one?!?!?!?! OMG

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like an error! Sales can be hectic and errors can occur.

Perlotte

Rough_Rock
yeah but now...my grandma that is not use to technology is so stress out ....:( not a nice experience.
Anyway...we will send everything back for an exchange if we can convince my grandma to keep it...if not it will be a full refund. For sure as my grandma said...those thing never happen when you go to buy in person... anyway....

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is unfortunate. I hope it works out.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results