shape
carat
color
clarity

Halo setting for an oval diamond?

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a beautiful round diamond that I have never set and I have been considering trading it in for an oval diamond. I have large fingers and I think an oval set in a halo might be a better look.

I know it's pretty easy to find a stock halo setting for a round diamond, but what about an oval? Would I need to have something custom made to match the proportions of the diamond? I would really prefer to spend less than $2,000 on a setting.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
It depends on the size of the oval (actual dimensions, not just carat weight). If the stone is close to a standard size, then it can definitely be possible to get a stock setting. Or you could go custom with someone like David Klass (no website but you can find him on Facebook) who does beautiful custom work even on tight budgets.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd always do custom on a fancy shape stone, if possible. I agree that David Klass would be in your price range.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd always do custom on a fancy shape stone, if possible. I agree that David Klass would be in your price range.

Yes I agree with this. Custom so it looks right and David Klass because his prices are fair and his work is very nice. Good luck!

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much for the replies! Do you think David Klass can do a delicate halo? What about the quality of his melee? I am looking at his web page and seeing examples of SI1-SI2 G-H quality listed.

Also, can anyone tell me what the process would be for trading in my round diamond for an oval? The round came from Good Old Gold and they don't seem to have many ovals in house. I think my 1 carat round was a little under $6,000. Can I ask them to bring some ovals in for me, or do I have to stick with what is in house in order to trade in? I would like to maximize size but what should I be looking for in terms of clarity to get an eye clean stone and what color should I look for? My round is an I and looks plenty white for me but if I am switching to a halo I wonder if I need to go higher in color.

Someone here got a GORGEOUS oval halo engagement ring that I loved, but I can't remember who it was. I think it was last year and that the center stone was about 1.5 cararts and the ring was made was Victor or Steven. She posted in Rocky Talky and wish I could find that thread.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I forgot to mention that I am looking for a 14 kt white gold setting or platinum. Does anyone know the composition of David Klass' platinum?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You need to call GOG and ask them the trade in questions. I thought you had to trade for something
they had in stock but not really sure. I usually try to stick with H and above in an oval but if you are
not color sensitive and its a well cut oval then some "I"s might work. To maximize size I would go
with eye-clean SI1 and up. David Klass would be in your budget but Victor and Steven would not.
David does do nice pave. Looks like you could get around a 1.2 oval in an H/I.
Maybe something like this...
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.20-carat-h-color-si1-clarity-sku-2514417

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks, tyty333. I know that Victor and Steven are way out of my price range, but I wish that I could find that old thread because I really liked the details and proportions of the ring.

Edit to add-
I received a reply that DK uses a 950 platinum/ruthenium mix for platinum rings.

Last edited:

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You might want to call Chris at BE to check out their prices. Usually they are way below VC and SK.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Thanks for looking for me, but no. It turns out it was a thread from 2013! I must have just found it through a search last year. Or I am really getting old and time is passing exceptionally quickly to me! :oops:Here is the thread: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-1-5-ct-oval-micro-pave-by-victor-canera.195088/

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results