Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Halo nervousness

jazzhands

Rough_Rock
I’m resetting my yellow diamond and asked for a halo with larger diamonds. I had pave before and was never crazy about it. I got cads which I approved and even a silver cast. They looked good to me. Vendor has been friendly and responsive. It’s almost done and I got a pic of the ring before stone was set. I thought it looked great. Now I’m starting to nitpick and worry. Do the stones not look tight enough around? I think I might see a gap on the right side? I didn’t notice this in cads. I’m a bit anxious bc I hate the idea of asking for a redo as if it’s not right I don’t think it would be a simple fix. Also just worried I might be nitpicking too much. I’m posting my inspiration pictures, ( The inspiration is w an oval not has a rectangular design (like mine) but not with FY diamond. So the second inspo pic is with the square stone). Then the cad, then the real pic of setting.
Inspos:
C2BBC540-671B-4707-A5B2-285DC2E95B5B.jpeg 1977773F-9105-4CF3-8789-54557B6198AB.jpeg

Cad and setting

A4936A2B-1FDA-4509-90A3-01858DC52D14.jpeg DB34E1AE-9141-48EA-BC76-03D3B0BF7D71.png

TripEx

Shiny_Rock
gaps too big... show examples to the vendor from vanessa nicole she knows how to do a seamless halo real well

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
EDITED because I am dumb and mis-read your pics. Yes, there are gaps and it looks problematic compared to your inspiration pic. I thought your inspiration pic was your ring and was thinking it looked like the most perfect ring ever.

Also, I think the 3 stones on the bottom look somewhat uneven (maybe it's just the pic), but I would check that as well.

jazzhands

Rough_Rock
Would they have to start over to fix do you think? Are the halo stones perhaps too big to make it tight?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I think @lovedogs is right that the bottom row looks crooked unless it’s just the angle it’s being held and being a photo.
Other than that I do think it looks like the CAD image, it’s just more enlarged. I think I’m real life and proportion it will be fine. I would just check that bottom row but I’m thinking it may be an optical illusion. Also, your stone is not yet set and it will make a difference.
I think it’s going to be really pretty.

737lizakg

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Those big stones will look great with a yellow center!

I think the bottom left diamond is set higher than the others. So top down it will probably look straight but looking at the profile it will sit higher. As at this angle it looks crooked. The top may also suffer the same problem to a lesser degree. Unless as others have said, it is just photography. But ask for straight profile pics and a straight head on pic.

Your cad and the cushion inspo pic differ in that your ring has a completely straight line on each side, whereas the inspo looks to have a very slight curve to each line of diamonds, creating a softer corner for the center stone. It is hard to know how those corners will look once your center is in there. Do you have pics of it resting in the setting?

jazzhands

Rough_Rock
gaps too big... show examples to the vendor from vanessa nicole she knows how to do a seamless halo real well

To fix do you think it would require starting the halo over? I know nothing of the jewelry making process.

jazzhands

Rough_Rock
Those big stones will look great with a yellow center!

I think the bottom left diamond is set higher than the others. So top down it will probably look straight but looking at the profile it will sit higher. As at this angle it looks crooked. The top may also suffer the same problem to a lesser degree. Unless as others have said, it is just photography. But ask for straight profile pics and a straight head on pic.

Your cad and the cushion inspo pic differ in that your ring has a completely straight line on each side, whereas the inspo looks to have a very slight curve to each line of diamonds, creating a softer corner for the center stone. It is hard to know how those corners will look once your center is in there. Do you have pics of it resting in the setting?

I don’t have pics yet of center stone because it wasn’t in when he sent this to me. And yes the first inspo pic if of cushion stone but second is square like mine. I’m wondering if halo diamonds are actually larger than inspo pics. Here is my original ring with the pave diamonds so you can see what my center looks like .

I guess I’m wondering how complicated a fix this is if there is a problem.

CE6F3E26-0DBF-477D-BC56-176B81F0CD6B.jpeg

jazzhands

Rough_Rock
I think @lovedogs is right that the bottom row looks crooked unless it’s just the angle it’s being held and being a photo.
Other than that I do think it looks like the CAD image, it’s just more enlarged. I think I’m real life and proportion it will be fine. I would just check that bottom row but I’m thinking it may be an optical illusion. Also, your stone is not yet set and it will make a difference.

Thank you and @lovedogs I did write to ask about it (the vendor isn't local) and he's not on sight to take pics right now but said he was holding the ring at an angle and that it was symmetrical. The stone should be set any day (if it's not already) now so we shall see. As noted before, if it isn't straight then I don't know if it becomes a start from scratch scenario as I have no knowledge of the mechanics of jewelry making.

TripEx

Shiny_Rock

I don’t have pics yet of center stone because it wasn’t in when he sent this to me. And yes the first inspo pic if of cushion stone but second is square like mine. I’m wondering if halo diamonds are actually larger than inspo pics. Here is my original ring with the pave diamonds so you can see what my center looks like .

I guess I’m wondering how complicated a fix this is if there is a problem.

CE6F3E26-0DBF-477D-BC56-176B81F0CD6B.jpeg

No idea how to fix it however see the black marks you have on this ring youre going to have it on that aswell.

İt could be that stones are large and leave gaps they could of filled those areas in with some smaller stones i dont know however this is something that bothers me. Some rings its okay other you want it to flow and not have dark spots.

Also looking closely at the cads looks like they also have gaps aswell.

Also the bottom stone on the right looks like its overlapping where the centre stone will sit
Explain your concern before its toooo late

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In your first inspiration picture with the yellow cushion centre, there are polished v-prongs in the gaps so the outline of the stones is less pronounced as it is in your ring and there’s less of a gap overall. They’re on the outside and inside next to the YG bezel.
I can’t see the prongs so well on the second pic but given the shank is set the same as the first ring, I’m going to guess they’re the same and this is why the halo looks so much more seamless than your example which appears to have standard prongs in the stone.
Can they do the same sort of prongs? It would be a change from the first iteration.

Last edited:

jazzhands

Rough_Rock
I see what you mean and the shared prong is something I specifically asked for bc it showed less and made diamonds more obvious IMO. I see that same type of prong in the pic he sent but I see it on the outer not inner part. I will be receiving more pics today. The cast didn’t look gappy but it’s hard to tell with no stones. And I didn’t notice the space in the cad but as the other pser noticed on close inspection it’s there. :confused2:

jazzhands

Rough_Rock
No idea how to fix it however see the black marks you have on this ring youre going to have it on that aswell.

when you say “this ring” do you mean my original pave? Bc the original doesn’t have gaps.

jazzhands

Rough_Rock
I should add that a main reason I picked this vendor is that they had rings w large diamond halos (surprisingly hard to find) and with that shared prong (also not what I’ve seen so often). See pics from them of one of their designs. Uuuggghhh I am freaking out.
E1AAC5CA-798F-4AAD-A6E9-8518EC21E966.jpeg 3A4F7FD6-2653-48E6-AA8F-49CDA1CF9088.jpeg 0AF13E5B-455B-4701-910A-E736EBC555D2.jpeg

Buttercookies

Shiny_Rock
The vendors V prongs are thinner and smaller than your inspiration photo. I had to go back and zoom in to find them. I think the thicker V prongs will definitely close the gap and give the ring a more finished look your eyes are looking for.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The second pic from that vendor is a horrible shoddy photoshop. Pics 1 and 3 are too far away to determine the quality of workmanship.

jazzhands

Rough_Rock
The vendors V prongs are thinner and smaller than your inspiration photo. I had to go back and zoom in to find them. I think the thicker V prongs will definitely close the gap and give the ring a more finished look your eyes are looking for.

@Buttercookies and @foxinsox (love those userid names btw) you are probably correct about thicker prongs but at this point since the product if finished and I approved the cads, I don't know how to go in reverse without (probably) substantial extra costs. I have a photo of the finished product now and I think it looks pretty and bright yet am anxious to see in person. This is flourescent office lights and the yellow is already more prominent than in my old ring. I am new PS person, and I am having a little bit of analysis paralysis I believe.

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail (1).jpg

karendiben

Rough_Rock
@Buttercookies and @foxinsox (love those userid names btw) you are probably correct about thicker prongs but at this point since the product if finished and I approved the cads, I don't know how to go in reverse without (probably) substantial extra costs. I have a photo of the finished product now and I think it looks pretty and bright yet am anxious to see in person. This is flourescent office lights and the yellow is already more prominent than in my old ring. I am new PS person, and I am having a little bit of analysis paralysis I believe.

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail (1).jpg

In this pic, it’s upside-down from the last one, so the wonky bottom stone is now at the top right. Still looks out of alignment to me. That’s not from holding it at an angle. :(

Buttercookies

Shiny_Rock

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail (1).jpg

I think it's still absolutely gorgeous. :) No worries.

jazzhands

Rough_Rock
In this pic, it’s upside-down from the last one, so the wonky bottom stone is now at the top right. Still looks out of alignment to me. That’s not from holding it at an angle. :(

I can see it too. It almost looks like the stone is bigger than the others. I am supposed to get it tomorrow. I will inspect on arrival. I’m worried it is going to drive me nuts. I’m a conflict avoider type of person so I hate the scenario of having to argue or know what to do if the person isn’t amenable to changing it. I already asked about it and was told it was symmetrical but again it doesn’t look it. I need to have it in my hands though to really make a determination.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is super pretty! I can’t wait to see what you think when you get it.

jazzhands

Rough_Rock
I have it. The halo is not seamless as others have noted. It is more noticeable in the photographs than irl. The diamonds are bright and the stone looks amazing. It is strange to see my stone in this new setting; I have to get used to it. I am not sure what to do about the unevenness. I am wondering if the bench is capable of correcting it - I started going down the rabbit hole about halos, and it seems like a fair amount of skill is required to make them perfect. I have attached some pictures. It's hard to get clear pictures bc there is a lot of fire from the stones.

IMG_9649.jpg IMG_9639.jpg IMG_9653.jpg

Buttercookies

Shiny_Rock
I have it. The halo is not seamless as others have noted. It is more noticeable in the photographs than irl. The diamonds are bright and the stone looks amazing. It is strange to see my stone in this new setting; I have to get used to it. I am not sure what to do about the unevenness. I am wondering if the bench is capable of correcting it - I started going down the rabbit hole about halos, and it seems like a fair amount of skill is required to make them perfect. I have attached some pictures. It's hard to get clear pictures bc there is a lot of fire from the stones.

IMG_9649.jpg IMG_9639.jpg IMG_9653.jpg

Very very beautiful. Are you overall happy? I think it's a looker. :)

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Our Favorite Jewels from the 2021 Golden Globes
    Our Favorite Jewels from the 2021 Golden Globes
    Diamonds and Jewelry - Recommended Reads, Part 2
    Diamonds and Jewelry - Recommended Reads, Part 2
    Jewels Of The Week: February 2021
    Jewels Of The Week: February 2021

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.