shape
carat
color
clarity

Halo engagement rings with smaller center diamonds (~0.5ct)

caldwa

Rough_Rock
First off, thanks to everyone here - I recently found Pricescope and the forums here have been very helpful for the research I have been doing on engagement rings.

I've pretty much decided on getting a custom ring made - my gf has given me a few styles that she likes, and finding a setting that incorporates all those aspects has proven somewhat difficult (round halo with pear side stones, not ornate, etc). Since I already have the center stone (~0.5ct RB), going the custom route is really appealing to me to make something specifically for her.

I am wondering, does anyone have round halo rings with smaller (around 0.5ct) center diamonds? I am asking because I am trying to figure out what the best size for the halo stones would be. She doesn't like the look of larger halo stones, but a lot of the halo settings I have seen in stores have halo stones that are nearly unnoticeable. Looking at the stock photos on various websites can only go so far in giving perspective of diamond sizes. For those with smaller center diamonds, have you found a halo stone size that are not too large in scale compared to the center diamond, but still "pop" and have that nice sparkle?

Thanks in advance!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Re: Halo engagement rings with smaller center diamonds (~0.5

You will need to talk to the designer or whoever makes your ring. Let them know you don't want a cluster ring or flower ring look, but want a thin Harry Winston inspired type of delicate halo. Ask to look at their portfolio to see halos they have done in the past. If non of them look right to you then go someplace else.

Each diamond is different so there really isn't a right answer to this. For me to have a delicated halo on .5ct RB I would keep the halo at 1.2mm or smaller. However a jeweler designer will have a better idea. I wouldn't try to dictate dimensions and proportions as most ppl end up being very disappointed that way. Stick with a designer who has done this before with examples of their work. they will know how to highlight your diamond while still having it hit all the points you and your GF want.

caldwa

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the advice, SB621. I don't want to be too specific with the custom design, but I'm also just trying to figure out what the best way is to articulate each aspect.

SB621

Ideal_Rock

Looks at rings they have already done and go from there. The biggest issue is that while most jewelers can do this style of ring they don't do them well. You want to stick with someone who makes a quality piece (where melee don't fall out), and you like their general style of what they produce. Don't go to a contemporary designer and ask for a delicate halo. That is not what they do. A portfiolio and a look around the shop will tell you what you need. Or go with a PS vendor who does halos all the time. Pending your budget IDJ, WF and ERD all would be your ally. But custom is expensive.

redroze

Shiny_Rock

Mine is not quite 0.50...it's 0.70. The diamonds in the halo are similar in size to the ones on the band itself, which is about 2 mm. My ring size is 4.5. I personally find my halo diamonds are too big relative to the centre diamond, but I don't think we could have gone any smaller as the bands in the diamond were reused from my old setting PLUS 2 mm is quite thin and dainty already (which I love). I'm in the process of upgrading my centre stone. I think it looks okay...but seeing the other halo rings on here, you will definitely notice that the bigger stones look better with delicate pave. What is "delicate" to a 0.50 stone is very different than to a 1 carat.

myraring3.jpg

caldwa

Rough_Rock

redroze|1391457969|3607123 said:
I think it looks okay...but seeing the other halo rings on here, you will definitely notice that the bigger stones look better with delicate pave. What is "delicate" to a 0.50 stone is very different than to a 1 carat.

Thanks for showing! But I agree, it's been difficult to find examples of smaller center stone halos with well done, smaller-stone halo work.

I'm considering a few different custom avenues - either something local (San Diego), something online, like ERD or Eternity by Yoni, or go with my family jeweler (Joe Escobar), the latter three of which I've seen on here and elsewhere to have done very nice halo/micro pave work.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock

Stock: ES1198D at mdcdiamonds.com says it can be done with .5ct center. All 3 stones are halo-ed, the sides are pear. If a designer is making it, then they can model it using CAD software so that you can visualize the proportions.

You might be able to get a Gabriel Brothers or something.

jramy278

Shiny_Rock

If you'd like some pictures of a 0.7 MRB in a round halo, here is a link to my ering [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ritani-engagement-ring-is-here.196552/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ritani-engagement-ring-is-here.196552/[/URL]

The melee are 1.4 pointers. I preferred the melee to be a bit more substantial, as in my opinion, very small stones can tend to just like glitter. But I can see how some people would think that this size overwhelms the center stone. Maybe try to go to a few local stores and look at as many halo settings you can to get a feel for relative sizes?

caldwa

Rough_Rock

TC1987|1391462546|3607170 said:
Stock: ES1198D at mdcdiamonds.com says it can be done with .5ct center. All 3 stones are halo-ed, the sides are pear. If a designer is making it, then they can model it using CAD software so that you can visualize the proportions.

Thanks! Hadn't come across that one before.

jramy278|1391464557|3607195 said:
If you'd like some pictures of a 0.7 MRB in a round halo, here is a link to my ering [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ritani-engagement-ring-is-here.196552/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ritani-engagement-ring-is-here.196552/[/URL]

The melee are 1.4 pointers. I preferred the melee to be a bit more substantial, as in my opinion, very small stones can tend to just like glitter. But I can see how some people would think that this size overwhelms the center stone. Maybe try to go to a few local stores and look at as many halo settings you can to get a feel for relative sizes?

Thanks for linking to pictures of your ring! I liked that Ritani halo setting best out of the first wave of online retailers I looked at, so it's great to see that it works with a RB closer in size to what I would be using.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results