shape
carat
color
clarity

Halloween weekend

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

UnderBlue

Shiny_Rock
We haven''t set a date yet because we haven''t picked a venue, but the venue that''s pretty much ideal for us has an opening Halloween weekend. We want to get married in October if we can and all the other weekends are taken. We''d have the wedding on the 30th, so it wouldn''t actually be halloween but do you think that would upset people? The half-dozen kids there might not get home in time to trick-or-treat. We wouldn''t be having a Halloween-themed wedding or anything like that, do you think people would expect it? I know Halloween isn''t one of the important, spend-time-with-family holidays, but I just don''t want to take away people''s fun. (though hopefully they''d be having plenty of fun at our wedding ;-)

tlh

Ideal_Rock
If it is a big deal, they won''t come. I personally don''t think you need to theme it - the day is about you and your spouse joining together, you don''t have to have goblins and ghouls around for that just because it is near all hallows eve. Besides, I think most people WON''T EXPECT a halloween themed wedding unless you state on the invite that it is a costume party or something of that sort.

And if you are really wanting to drive the point home - stay away from orange and brown as your wedding colors.

But it is your day, celebrate as you see fit. Good luck, and congrats!

Prana

Brilliant_Rock
My friend got married on Halloween night and it was a really beautiful evening. They did more of a fall decor, with some pumpkinage here and there. There was about 110 people there, and I personally did not care about not being home on halloween (which is one of my fave days of the year, and it would have been my 1st halloween in my new house!)

shertz1981

Shiny_Rock
I think a 10/30 wedding would be amazing!!! All those rich late fall colors ...

If people want to not come b/c of the holiday, then they won''t come, but I think they might surprise you in a good way :)

katamari

Ideal_Rock
I would find it odd if there was no reference to Halloween whatsoever, honestly, but I would go and not think twice about it. The best wedding I ever went to was a masquerade wedding on Halloween.

LilyKat

Brilliant_Rock
I think it would be absolutely fine. And no need for Halloween theming, although I do think pumpkin flower arrangements are beautiful!

Also, if your wedding is on the 30th, people can still go out trick or treating (or celebrating Halloween in whatever way), the next day, on Halloween itself.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
My cousin got married on Halloween in the East Village a few years ago (the East Village is home to a MAJOR halloween parade).

Her wedding was gorgeous, not halloween themed, and really memorable.

Amanda.Rx

Brilliant_Rock
I''m sure for the handful of kids, if they really want to go, a neighbor would be willing to babysit and take them around the neighborhood instead.

I don''t really see a problem with it. The people that want to be there will be there.

Amanda.Rx

Brilliant_Rock
*If they really want to go trick-or-treating

UnderBlue

Shiny_Rock
*Everyone* will be from out of town, so the kids would have to do the trick or treating if the planes land on time =p

I didn''t think it would be a big deal, but wanted to check to make sure I wasn''t being crazy. I like Halloween, but I wouldn''t incorporate it into the wedding, just not our thing.

Does SoCal have a fall? I lived near New England for 6 years, so I know what changing colors can look like, I don''t think that happens in LA though?

MissMina

Brilliant_Rock
A friend''s daughter who loves Halloween had a "normal"
wedding followed by a themed reception complete with costumes for those who wanted them, trick or treat for the kids and a haunted
house cake. The pictures looked like everyone had a wonderful time.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
I can''t see the problem. It''s not such a big deal that they would be prepared to miss a wedding, surely?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think a 10/30 wedding would be wonderful. I wish we had been able to get married in the fall.
If you really want to get revved up about a possible fall wedding, maybe Musey will come around and post some of her amazing pics. Her fall wedding was amazingly beautiful.

If you do decide on this date, it would be so cute to make up little trick or treat bags for the kiddos, filled with sweets.

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
You haven''t set a date because he hasn''t proposed yet...

UnderBlue

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/5/2010 5:01:50 PM
Author: PinkAsscher678

You''ll notice this thread is from almost a month ago, and no he hasn''t proposed, but we have decided on a date since then.

What''s with stalking my previous posts and being catty toward me?

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Stalking you? I was reading other people''s responses to your thread in LIW. You know, that one not planning a wedding when the guy hasn''t actually asked you to marry him?

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that''s rude and uncalled for.
38.gif

I am doing a 10/30 wedding... if anyone has a problem with the date--- well, they don''t have to come
11.gif

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
You pulled up a thread from 2 months ago just to make a point about someone not being engaged? How petty.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2010 6:11:29 PM
Author: sunnyd

Wow, that''s rude and uncalled for.
38.gif
I''m inclined to agree. PinkAsscher, this thread was not started last month to solicit advice about planning a wedding before being engaged. It was to inquire about the PS community''s feelings on a 10/30 wedding, and UnderBlue was obviously satisfied with the answers she received. You made your opinion regarding planning before the engagement known in the LIW thread in which that topic was discussed. There was no need whatsoever to resurrect this thread, and doing so was incredibly tactless.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
PA I'm appalled. That was a really tasteless move. Who cares if she doesn't have the ring yet. You don't know the conversations she's had with her future FI. Seeing as that thread was from several months ago, things could have totally changed since then. Who are you to judge?

ETA as someone who got married on July 5, I dealt with some of the same concerns. Well, not the trick-or-treating part. The important people will be there, regardless of Halloween being on the next day.

parrot tulips

Brilliant_Rock
Have you officially set the date for 10/30? Since Halloween isn''t a holiday people typically travel for, I''m sure no one would mind. And I''m sure those with kids who have their heart set on trick-or-treating, can find friends for them to go with. And I doubt anyone would think twice if there wasn''t any Halloween themed decor since it''s a wedding. Personally, I don''t care much for it anyway. The only things I''ve seen that I thought were sweet were pumpkins spray painted gold/bronze and flower girls with wings. Congratulations on setting the date! We set ours before I got the ring/official engagement too!

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/6/2010 7:55:17 AM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
PA I''m appalled. That was a really tasteless move. Who cares if she doesn''t have the ring yet. You don''t know the conversations she''s had with her future FI. Seeing as that thread was from several months ago, things could have totally changed since then. Who are you to judge?

ETA as someone who got married on July 5, I dealt with some of the same concerns. Well, not the trick-or-treating part. The important people will be there, regardless of Halloween being on the next day.

Ok, well sorry you''re "appalled." I hate to see anyone sabotaging their future marriage or proposal because they can''t stop pushing for it. I understand if she''s had a change of heart since then, but sometimes people need to be honest. Honestly, people on here tend to lead posters on sometimes, give false hope and encourage them to push boundaries that are really obvious from reading the questions.

NO! Wakeup call, all that''s probably going to do is get her dumped. You can call me tasteless, mean, whatever you want to I really don''t care. I''m not trying to be cruel, I was trying to get her to wake up and realize she might be acting as her own worst enemy. Take it or leave it. It''s like no one can take a response that isn''t plain vanilla or sugar coated.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2010 12:43:56 PM

PA I''m appalled. That was a really tasteless move. Who cares if she doesn''t have the ring yet. You don''t know the conversations she''s had with her future FI. Seeing as that thread was from several months ago, things could have totally changed since then. Who are you to judge?

Ok, well sorry you''re ''appalled.'' I hate to see anyone sabotaging their future marriage or proposal because they can''t stop pushing for it. I understand if she''s had a change of heart since then, but sometimes people need to be honest. Honestly, people on here tend to lead posters on sometimes, give false hope and encourage them to push boundaries that are really obvious from reading the questions.

NO! Wakeup call, all that''s probably going to do is get her dumped. You can call me tasteless, mean, whatever you want to I really don''t care. I''m not trying to be cruel, I was trying to get her to wake up and realize she might be acting as her own worst enemy. Take it or leave it. It''s like no one can take a response that isn''t plain vanilla or sugar coated.
Regardless, PA, if you felt the need to continue the "planning before the proposal" discussion, that should have been discussed in the thread where the topic was broached, not in a completely unrelated thread from last month. No one expects you to vanilla flavor or sugar coat your answers. We just expect you to have some respect for your fellow posters.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2010 12:43:56 PM

Ok, well sorry you''re ''appalled.'' I hate to see anyone sabotaging their future marriage or proposal because they can''t stop pushing for it. I understand if she''s had a change of heart since then, but sometimes people need to be honest. Honestly, people on here tend to lead posters on sometimes, give false hope and encourage them to push boundaries that are really obvious from reading the questions.

Um, yea, my responses are rarely plain vanilla or sugar coated. I was simply pointing out that your post was harsh, it was a side of you I haven''t seen before.

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like a lovely time to get married! You can absolutely do an autumn wedding without it becoming a halloween wedding. I think people will sincerely inquire if it will be a halloween wedding, but unlikely to be disappointed by it not being so.

cally

Rough_Rock
Sounds like a good time to me. I guess Halloween might be a big deal for some, but when I think of late October I just think of pretty fall colors and the like. And fall weddings are soooooo pretty.

Good grief.

I knew I was going to marry FI within the first month of meeting him. We started talking marriage a few months in, and he proposed around our 2.5 year mark. I showed him a billion rings, talked about the venue, picked out several dates for him to choose from-- and all before he had a ring.

When he had the ring- which I mostly picked out
28.gif
he let me see it a few times until he proposed. I tried it on a few times. Did it freak him out? Nah. Could it freak out guys? Sure... but not my guy! If you would''ve asked him if I freaked him out, he would''ve laughed at you and would''ve told you to lighten up.

Point being? You are completely out of line and I think you''re the one that needs the wake-up call...just because YOU wouldn''t do something in YOUR relationship doesn''t mean squat (especially since it had nothing to do with the topic at hand!!!)

I really think that if they are planning to do a wedding in 9 months, it''s probably a very very very good thing that they are discussing the date now.

Are you also against women proposing to men too?

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/6/2010 6:52:45 PM
Author: swedish bean
Good grief.

I knew I was going to marry FI within the first month of meeting him. We started talking marriage a few months in, and he proposed around our 2.5 year mark. I showed him a billion rings, talked about the venue, picked out several dates for him to choose from-- and all before he had a ring.

When he had the ring- which I mostly picked out
28.gif
he let me see it a few times until he proposed. I tried it on a few times. Did it freak him out? Nah. Could it freak out guys? Sure... but not my guy! If you would''ve asked him if I freaked him out, he would''ve laughed at you and would''ve told you to lighten up.

Point being? You are completely out of line and I think you''re the one that needs the wake-up call...just because YOU wouldn''t do something in YOUR relationship doesn''t mean squat (especially since it had nothing to do with the topic at hand!!!)

I really think that if they are planning to do a wedding in 9 months, it''s probably a very very very good thing that they are discussing the date now.

Are you also against women proposing to men too?

I actually proposed to my husband which I''ve mentioned in other posts. So please don''t assume that you know anything about me, or try to size me up based on one post. You know nothing about me, or what kind of person I am, or why I''ve answered the way I have. This subject irks me because I have seen a good girlfriend of mine push and push a wedding on her boyfriend until she got dumped and ended up sleeping on my couch for 3 months. Call it a cautionary tale and get over it.

I wish you all the best.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results