shape
carat
color
clarity

Halloween Costumes!?

MagsyMay

Brilliant_Rock
Anyone dressing up for Halloween? If so, what are you going as this year!? I am going to a costume party and as usual, have ZERO clue what to go as, so I need some serious inspiration! Feel free to post pictures as well!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
We bring the dogs to the Spooky Pooch Parade at the Botanic Gardens each year. This year I'm dressing up the four dogs (two are ours, two are my mom's) and the three humans as figures of speech. The nerd in me is very excited. :bigsmile:

MagsyMay

Brilliant_Rock
Haven: That's so cute!! What exactly do the costumes consist of when going as a figure of speech? You'll have to post pictures of the whole crew after the parade!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm psyched - I only just found my costume today!

I found a gorgeous lavender silk flapper dress with wonderful beadwork, and a pair of opera-length white fine leather gloves with pearl wrist closures. I'm going back and forth between going as just a flapper, and a ghost flapper (I think I'm leaning towards the ghost option, as I love going all out for Halloween - white pancack makeup and dramatic shadows, here I come!). I'm probably going to match this with period-appropriate jewelry (good thing I like it vintage) and a peacock headdress.

Now, I just have to decide ... black bob wig that I already own, put my own waist-length hair up somehow, or buy a new wig? I rather like the idea of getting a red pompadour ....

hot.soup

Rough_Rock
I admit that I am hopeless with coming up with good costumes for myself, but I LOVE seeing other people and pets all dressed up... especially little kids/infants. There is nothing like seeing my friend's cute 2 year old dressed as a skunk to brighten up my day.

Circe, your costume sounds beautiful and dramatic.

Haven, I love nerdy costumes. I remember a few years ago, seeing someone dressed as gravity at a party. They wore all black and glued 9.81 m/s^2 to their butt. =)

I demand that you two take pictures! Pretty please?

MM: What sort of costume are you going for? Something fun? Nerdy? Sexy?

cnspotts

Brilliant_Rock
I love Halloween! Last year I was a basic witch and my friend was a cupcake, so cute. This year she is Candy Corn, I'm a She Devil, and hubbs is "the other end of the that spectrum" kwim, lol. I'd like one year for him to be a jailbird and me be the cop (since that's his day job)lol. I'm thinking next year I'll be a scarecrow, and he can be the tinman, lol and my friend can be Dorothy. Although maybe we could be "sister wives" since we spend so much time together. :shock:

MagsyMay

Brilliant_Rock
Great costumes ladies!

hot.soup: Not going for anything specific. I try to avoid the "sexy fill in the blank" type of costumes. I like things that are somewhat original, but that's so hard to do these days. I also like costumes that avoid me having to pay lots of $$ haha :)

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
We are going as Spartans this year :tongue: Micah is going to be a monkey! :love:

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
My kitty's gonna be Hugh Hefner.

64629_10100108720535071_10050041_55558962_6163986_n.jpg

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
I once went as the Walk of Shame -- it was hilarious.

No costumes this year -- unless bride and groom count. We'll be drinking pumpkin ale and handing out candy to the kiddos.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Circe said:

I found a gorgeous lavender silk flapper dress with wonderful beadwork, and a pair of opera-length white fine leather gloves with pearl wrist closures. I'm going back and forth between going as just a flapper, and a ghost flapper (I think I'm leaning towards the ghost option, as I love going all out for Halloween - white pancack makeup and dramatic shadows, here I come!). I'm probably going to match this with period-appropriate jewelry (good thing I like it vintage) and a peacock headdress.

Now, I just have to decide ... black bob wig that I already own, put my own waist-length hair up somehow, or buy a new wig? I rather like the idea of getting a red pompadour ....

Circe -- have you read Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella? Your idea of a ghost flapper reminds me of the main character. It's a really funny book, by the way.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Zoe said:
Circe said:

Circe -- have you read Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella? Your idea of a ghost flapper reminds me of the main character. It's a really funny book, by the way.

Oh, funny! That hadn't even occurred to me - I'm aware of the book, but I hadn't read it because, well, I really hated the Shopaholic series. Is it better than that? If so, I must pick it up before Halloween!

Hot Soup, thanks! There will *definitely* be pictures.

That said, so far the Hefner cat is winning the thread - too cute for words!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I love Hefner cat!

I have no idea what I'm doing for Halloween. And I have pretty much no time to figure it out (or money to spend, really...ugh, moving is expensive). A friend of mine suggested pixie dust addict - torn leggings, a skirt, a top, and mad amounts of glitter, especially around my nose. Wander around with pixie sticks and offer them to everybody. Makes me giggle, but seems like a lot of work...

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
DH and I were just invited to a party on Fri and are scrambling a bit for costumes!

DH is going as a rescued Chilean miner. :bigsmile: Hard hat with the Chilean flag on the front, flashlight, sunglasses, power bars, work gloves and dirt on his face.

I'm trying to rustle up a lab coat to do a mad scientist. I'll stick my hair up all crazy, get some glow sticks in test tubes in my pockets, safety glasses on my head and maybe a fake rat in my pocket. That's the plan anyway, assuming I can find a lab coat!

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
geckodani said:
DH and I were just invited to a party on Fri and are scrambling a bit for costumes!

DH is going as a rescued Chilean miner. :bigsmile: Hard hat with the Chilean flag on the front, flashlight, sunglasses, power bars, work gloves and dirt on his face.

I'm trying to rustle up a lab coat to do a mad scientist. I'll stick my hair up all crazy, get some glow sticks in test tubes in my pockets, safety glasses on my head and maybe a fake rat in my pocket. That's the plan anyway, assuming I can find a lab coat!

dani, Chilean miner outfit sounds AWESOME. :appl:

We don't have a party to go to on Halloween, but I am running my first 5k in the morning on the 31st. It's the Run Thru Hell 5k race in a little town called Hell, MI - no joke! So... now I get to run like hell through Hell. Hope I have a hell of a run - I hear first prize is a handbasket! Ha! There's a costume contest for runners, so I am entering as a runaway bride! Using a veil, bouquet, the mockup dress my mom made for making my gown, and a big sign on my back that says "I Don't!"

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Okay, after a long, hard look at my budget, it looks like fairy wings are out and biker is in! I can do biker with things I already own - jeans, boots, leather vest (or black denim corset-style vest), black tank top, skull bandana. At most all I'll have to buy is a cheap black long sleeve shirt if it's cold. I still don't think it's a costume if it's something I'd seriously wear (once I get a motorcyle this will be a pretty normal look for me), but it's cheap/free. Hard to argue with that.

oranges

Brilliant_Rock
I'm going to be a cowgirl.... kind of. I don't really want to freeze this year so I'm going to be wearing jeans under brown thigh high boots with a flannel shirt and a cowboy hat.

CourtLynB

Rough_Rock
My BF and I are going to a party at a historic mansion (we also attended last year). It's so much fun, plus it's a fundraiser for a good cause. Last year, we were Sandy and Danny from Grease (i'm blonde, he wore a wig).

This year we're doing Cleopatra and Ceasar\Marc Anthony/Roman guy. I really really wanted to wear a wig and I bought a black bob wig. And my BF is really excited to wear the helmut with the big red plume at the top.

For work, my dog is going to be a lobster and I'm going to wear a bib and carry around a big pot with crackers and a stick of butter. We bring out pets to work and they have their own costume contest.

I really wanted to be Mario and Princess Peach (from the nintendo games), but our friends had already bought those costumes!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I've gotta say I hate how much this stuff costs sometimes! I just bought a lab coat for $30. Meh. I might try to find something cheaper. I hate to spend $$$ on something I'm only going to wear once! Although I guess the quality is nice, and I could use it again in the future. Sigh.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
MagsyMay said:
Haven: That's so cute!! What exactly do the costumes consist of when going as a figure of speech? You'll have to post pictures of the whole crew after the parade!
I will definitely post pictures! I'm always good for that. ;))

The figures of speech costumes are as follows:

Willie the Shih Tzu will be wearing a cow costume with a dollar billed sewn onto it ("cash cow") and some crosses and Jewish stars sewn on it ("sacred cow/holy cow") and some sort of representation of "til the cows come home."

Bailee the Pit Bull mix will be wearing a shark costume with a personal ad sewn on it ("loan shark"--my favorite!) and a nametag with "Jump" on it ("jump the shark") and the words "a kick" sewn through some of the teeth, as well as the letter "i" sewn onto two teeth with a gift tag dangling over them ("give my eye teeth")

Tallulah the Border Collie mix will be wearing a bumblebee costume with a big bonnet sewn around the bottom (bee in your bonnet) a long to do list and a cell phone sewn on it ("busy bee") and felt knees sewn on her legs ("bees knees")

Killian the Black Lab mix will be wearing a piggy costume with a Papua New Guinea passport sewn on it ("guinea pig") and a map to home sewn on it ("bringing home the bacon") and the word "high" on a plate on her back ("eat high on the hog") and pearls stuck out in front of her on wire ("cast pearls before swine")

The people will be wearing a bunch of things on our clothes that represent a variety of idioms (wear your heart on your sleeve, egghead, raining cats and dogs, etc.) AND, this is my favorite part: we will have several outlines of model's bodies cutout from fabric all over our clothes, but instead of drawing the outlines with solid lines I wrote famous lines from speeches and movies and wrote them out in the shape of the models' figures. Get it? They're FIGURES OF SPEECH! HAHAHAHAHA!

I know I'm a nerd. I embrace it. I'm thinking about making buttons with each figure of speech written on them and then giving kids the opportunity to pin the button on the image representing the figure of speech. It's a teachable moment, I say!

P.S. I love Hugh Hefner kitty!

longtimelurker

Shiny_Rock
Christine O'Donnell -- A suit with pearls & a witch hat. Plus two signs "I am not a witch" and "no lust in my heart"--the world lust inside a heart with an x over it. I made sure to know many of the comments she's made lately

MagsyMay

Brilliant_Rock
omg Haven you are too funny!! Those costumes not to mention coming up with the ideas, are too cute! Remind me never to go to a Halloween party where you're at, you'd put me to shame!! ;-)

Bean: That's really funny, I said to DH, would it be terribly inappropriate for me to wear my wedding dress and be a bride again (just got married last month!). I'd feel sort of bad totally trashing the dress in that type of setting (doing it for a great photo shoot is one thing, dragging it around a bar floor in Chicago is another!), haha.

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
I seriously might resurrect my Richard Simmons costume. NOTHING is scarier than Richard Simmons, and I so enjoy yelling at people to start sweatin' to the oldies. :bigsmile:

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
megumic said:
I once went as the Walk of Shame -- it was hilarious.

No costumes this year -- unless bride and groom count. We'll be drinking pumpkin ale and handing out candy to the kiddos.

OMG, that is hysterical- how did you make the costume?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results