carat
color
clarity

Half vs full eternity band?

Full vs half?

• Total voters

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
So I found https://www.allurez.com/rings/color...-anniversary-band-14k-gold-1.07ct/pid/2323/24 after I ordered this one: https://www.allurez.com/index.php?f...s_id=3927&carat_sel=yes&quality_sel=yes&ver=2.

Per their website both are 2.5 mm wide. I'm not sure how, but that's what the website says.

The price is so close that I wonder if I should just spring for the full eternity band before the 24 hr cancellation window passes. I've got a 3/4 eternity band that's about 3mm wide. I plan to put it between my e-ring & wedding band. I'm worried the 1/2 band will turn too much but that the full eternity band will be non-sizable.

Does anyone by any chance have one or both of these bands? Opinions to offer?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Order at least half a size up and get the full.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Are you happy with your current 3/4 eternity? Why not order another 3/4 eternity?

1/2 eternities are definitely a PITA, because even a slight movement of the band exposes bare metal. With a properly sized 3/4 eternity the exposed metal should never be a problem. Eternity bands are great for those with very large knuckles who have problems with spinning rings, as you'll never need to worry about the direction that the ring is facing. But for people with knuckles proportional to their finger, a 3/4 eternity should suffice.

Obviously, the main problem with full eternity bands is that they cannot be sized, which I'm guessing is the reason you see so many full eternity bands on LoupeTroop. With a 3/4 eternity, you have a little wiggle room should your finger grow a 1/2 size in the future.

JLW05

Brilliant_Rock
I absolutely love the look of a full eternity band BUT agree with TreeScientist. Eternity bands can't be sized. After childbirth, natural aging, weight gain, sizing can change.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Are you happy with your current 3/4 eternity? Why not order another 3/4 eternity?

1/2 eternities are definitely a PITA, because even a slight movement of the band exposes bare metal. With a properly sized 3/4 eternity the exposed metal should never be a problem. Eternity bands are great for those with very large knuckles who have problems with spinning rings, as you'll never need to worry about the direction that the ring is facing. But for people with knuckles proportional to their finger, a 3/4 eternity should suffice.

Obviously, the main problem with full eternity bands is that they cannot be sized, which I'm guessing is the reason you see so many full eternity bands on LoupeTroop. With a 3/4 eternity, you have a little wiggle room should your finger grow a 1/2 size in the future.

I love it! I had it custom made because I wanted to be able to resize but still have lots of diamonds. Unfortunately that website doesn't have a 3/4 yellow diamond band & it would have to be a custom order. I want to be able to return it since I can't see it before I buy it. I'm worried I won't like the color of the stones.

I'd have to order the eternity band .75 sizes larger than my current rings.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Order at least half a size up and get the full.

I am seriously considering this.

I absolutely love the look of a full eternity band BUT agree with TreeScientist. Eternity bands can't be sized. After childbirth, natural aging, weight gain, sizing can change.

This is my worry! I had a sapphire eternity band I had to sell for this reason. I'd be sad to have to sell this because it stopped fitting me.

i have both styles and I prefer the full eternity. The half annoys me when it spins and the diamonds are misaaligned on the top of my finger.

This would annoy me as well! Although I did notice my 3/4 band doesn't move much. I think because it's so tight right now...

Heathcat24

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Last March, I received a size 5 1/4 full eternity for my 10th anniversary. It only took one Alabama summer for me to realize I needed something bigger. :(2 I was so blessed that the vintage retailer had a virtual "twin" in stock in a size 6, and I was able to trade the smaller one in right before Christmas.

I second (and third!) the recommendation to go a 1/2 size up. I do LOVE my full eternity, though! :wavey:

Tophat1

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
For that price, I would get the full. For something really expensive, I would probably get a 3/4

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This might be an unpopular suggestion, but I had the same concerns about a full eternity. I have 1/2 for my e-ring, and always wish the metal wasn't exposed when they move around. But I wasn't willing to spend the $$ bc I was scared that it wouldn't fit down the road. I chose a potential middle ground, and got the full eternity with moissanite (which I know we can't discuss here). Just wanted to throw it out as a way to get the full eternity look, but without risking throwing away so much if it stops fitting eventually.

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
This for me is no brainer - yes I love full eternity bands. However, I’d go 3/4 around as others have mentioned before about weight loss, weight gain - trust me I’ve been there and I wouldn’t want to spend my money on something that I love that won’t fit in the future. Just my two cents.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anything other than a full eternity drives me out of my mind. My knuckle is larger than my finger so rings always spin. I have had almost all of my bands remade full. I may regret it later but I will deal with that then! Love my full eternities!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, That's the reason why I'd prefer a 1/2 or 3/4 band.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only like wearing a full eternity.

Half eternity and 3/4 eternities just don't stay positioned exactly correctly and would drive me mad if I had to reposition it constantly. A full eternity always looks good IMO.

I would just size up a bit and get a full eternity. You can always make an eternity smaller by adding sizing bumps or temporarily coils. Much easier to make an eternity band (or ring) smaller than larger.

Anyway it comes down to personal preference and as you see everyone has their own preferences. Mine is for a full eternity because I don't like seeing the metal when the ring moves.

Plus more diamonds. How can you go wrong with more diamonds?

diamondsareagirlsbestfriend.gif

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have all three..but I prefer the full and 3/4 eternities. The half bands always spin on me and it’s annoying. I am happy with my BG 3/4 eternity. It rarely spins where I see metal..and I know I can size it later if I need to. My new full eternity Tiffany band is a half size up so it will turn a little but it doesnt matter..I have other eternities that just just fit on my left hand..so I can’t wear them on my right hand because that finger is bigger by a half size. I vote for a full eternity..and to go a half size up. I actually like them to be slightly bigger..almost like a bracelet for your finger.

Last edited:

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have many half and full eternities. I can’t comment on 3/4 - maybe that’s the perfect solution. Personally, I prefer full eternities. I had my 7 stone made into a full and I love it to death. This may only be MY experience, but keep your rings on all the time. On/off for shower or messy projects than immediately back ON. I’m partly convinced it’s helped keep my ring finger the same size for 25 years - kinda like a girdle for my finger. I also haven’t gained too much weight - maybe I’m full of it, but this really seems to work for me! Best of luck!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lone voice of dissent here, I prefer half and I’ve never had a problem with it spinning.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spinning rings plague some and not others. Finger shape and how tight the ring fits matter. If your knuckles are wider than the base of your finger, you can have more spin. I have always had wider finger bases than my knuckles. My rings don't spin much until it gets cold. Then, I have to stack a band to keep them on and the spin (but that is because they are then a bit big). Swelly hands can be a pain.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Ummmm. How can it really be an eternity ring if it doesn’t go all the way around?

It makes sense to me why some would want to avoid them ... very difficult to size if at all ... can’t see the whole thing at one time anyway ... may be more comfortable ... and I know that it’s acceptable to say “half eternity” etc. .... but technically, I really don’t think it’s an eternity band unless it goes all the way around.

Not sure why I had to say that, but there it is, lol.

Q

Queenie60

I have a 3/4 eternity and it sits just right!! FYI

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I almost always recommend to my clients that they get the three-quarter eternity band for sizing ability. I have never thought about purposely recommending a half size larger. It makes sense though, if you do not mind having the ring a little loose and do not have to worry about it slipping off of your finger.

Hmmm, it seems even we professionals can learn from the prosumers around here.

Wink

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results