shape
carat
color
clarity

Hair Style Opinions Wanted

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
I am going to get my hair done in a few weeks and need a new style.

I think I watch too many make over shows because I usually go to the salon and expect them to tell me what will look good on me.
It''s like:
Stylist- "What do you want?"
Me- "Well, what will look good on me?"
Stylist- "Well what do you want?"
33.gif

I realize that the stylist just wants to do what will make me happy, but I would love someone to tell me what style would work best with my features.

Over the years, I''ve figured out the features I''d like to hide with my hairstyle. I have a huge nose and big forhead so I like to de-emphasize with bangs parted to the side. I stay away from short styles because I feel like all they do is frame my nose. Face framing layers do the same.

So does anyone have an idea of a style that would work with my face? I''m looking for something modern and stylish? Not afraid to go a little wild either, (you might remember my last freak out, where I complained that the stylist sent me home with the same boring do).

Here''s what I look like (that''s my little Bro in the pic). My hair is about an inch, maybe two longer than this picture. I think I''ve decided on having my bangs a little shorter this time.

miahairdddo.JPG

IloveAsschers13

Brilliant_Rock
I think you would look REALLY cute with a little bob.

31.cover.4764149189.jpg

IloveAsschers13

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry- missed the part about short hair... maybe something longer like this?

NicoleRichieHairstyles.jpg

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would tell your stylist what you just told us. You want a style that accentuates your positives and not your perceived negatives. You don''t want to draw attention to your nose and/or forehead. There''s a different between hiding a feature and redirecting attention from it. I also agree that the bob pictured would be really cute.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Immediately when I saw your pic..and before I read what you want to cover (which to me sound silly...you should show your beauty
9.gif
)...is wow she would look great in a modern angled bob..you know the ones that are shorter in the back and angle downward toward the front. You can keep your bangs. I''ve seen this cut done with choppy layers and also done with a very straight angled cut (like V. Beckham)

Either way..I think going short will look great on you.
35.gif

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
I''m also one of those "whatever you think will look good on me" people. I feel if you''re going to an expensive salon, that''s part of what you''re paying them for - to know what will look good with your face. I haven''t had a disaster yet.

That said, I agree with the angled bob. Summer is coming up, and it is really nice to get the hair off the back of your neck!

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
If you see a style in a mag you like, remember it probably took 10 people several hours to make the model look that way- so ask for a style that will look good on a daily basis without the need of hours of maintenance- unless you''re good at the maintenance.

Good luck.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I hate to say it but I kind of like the idea of a bob as well - you are so petite, I think you could totally pull it off.

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
I also think you would look phenomenal with a bob. You have the face for it! (I have a big nose too, the only thing keeping me from getting a bob is that my hair is CURLY, and I don''t want to have to straighten it/tame it everyday. Otherwise I''d so do it!)

I think that would look great on you!

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 4:41:55 PM
Author: Feralpenchant
I also think you would look phenomenal with a bob. You have the face for it! (I have a big nose too, the only thing keeping me from getting a bob is that my hair is CURLY, and I don''t want to have to straighten it/tame it everyday. Otherwise I''d so do it!)

I think that would look great on you!

ditto...the only reason I don''t cut my hair short is because of my curly hair. Blowing it out everyday is a PITA.
38.gif

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for your opinions guys!

I love the bobs, but I don''t think I can do anything like the Nicole Ritchie or Victoria Beckham type hair because I have too many short pieces right around my face and I''ve had stylist tell me it won''t work unless my hair is long around the face.

But I actually love the Elisa Cuthbert (sp?, is that even her?) picture. I think I really like choppy layers, and since the layers are not really face-framing I think it won''t bring too much emphasis to my nose.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 5:03:24 PM
Author: mia1181

I love the bobs, but I don''t think I can do anything like the Nicole Ritchie or Victoria Beckham type hair because I have too many short pieces right around my face and I''ve had stylist tell me it won''t work unless my hair is long around the face.

But I actually love the Elisa Cuthbert (sp?, is that even her?) picture. I think I really like choppy layers, and since the layers are not really face-framing I think it won''t bring too much emphasis to my nose.

That''s the one I liked - in the picture, above. I totally think you could pull that off and it seems like it would be so easy to style - just work in a little texturizing wax or paste or whatever, and you''re good to go
1.gif

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 5:14:13 PM
Author: AmberGretchen

Date: 3/26/2009 5:03:24 PM

That''s the one I liked - in the picture, above. I totally think you could pull that off and it seems like it would be so easy to style - just work in a little texturizing wax or paste or whatever, and you''re good to go
1.gif
This style would look great on you!

tlh

Ideal_Rock
THIS!!!!!!

cut h.JPG

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 5:14:13 PM
Author: AmberGretchen

1.gif
me too, I totally think you could rock that! You''re super cute, mia, btw
1.gif

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I think you are one beautiful woman and you look gorgeous in your long hair. I don''t think you need a style that hides your features, but one that brings out your natural beauty. Keep your long hair, but perhaps go with some long side swept bangs and layers for a more modern look.

If you feel that your nose is too large and you want a hairstyle that will de-emphasize it, check these links for photos and advice.

http://theglamourouslife.com/articles/daily-fashion-glam-tip-hairstyles-for-women-with-big-noses.html

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/hairstyles-for-women-with-big-noses.html

I though took the plunge and cut my hair short and I have a large nose. It has taken me a long time to accept this feature that I once considered horrendous, but I have found that over the years no one paid any attention to it other than me. I love my sort and sassy haircut, but at age 52 the long hair wasn''t doing anything for me. Now I feel I look at least 10 years younger. But you don''t have to worry about that for a while.

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Hey everyone, just wanted to update this thread with the results of my little "makeover"

I went to the salon today and did it! You guys were spot on and I love it! It was a great experience. I brought a "short hairstyles" magazine and showed the stylist some things I liked. I told him that I was open to whatever he thought looked good on me, given the features that I wanted to deemphasis. He got exactly what I was saying and was awesome. It was also pretty neat that he had a couple of students watch as he explained how he was cutting my hair. You know when the stylist is working, and you are just sitting there watching and freaking out, thinking "okay it doesn''t look good now but maybe when it''s dry..." and then it all comes together in the end and looks great? Well this wasn''t like that AT ALL. It seriously looked great from the "pre-cut" where he chopped the length off. And then with every snip it got better!

Let me respond to the posters I missed before:

AG- Thanks honey!
1.gif
You are so right about the paste/hair wax tip. I need to pick some up soon. There are so many different ways to style this do. I had so much playing around with it today!

akmiss, thl- Thanks! I''m sooo glad I did it!

icekid- awww thanks twinzy!
41.gif
I hope I rock it well.
2.gif
We''ll see if I can duplicate what the stylist did tomorrow!
27.gif
Well I''m sure it won''t be too hard, it seems very low-maintenance.

soocool- Your so sweet. I swear I don''t have any self esteem issues or terrible insecurities with my face/nose. But I do recognise that it is my least attractive feature. You are right though, "Deemphasize" is a much better word to use than "hide." Those articles where great, thanks! It''s funny that the one uses a picture of Ashlee Simpson because I''ve always sorta felt that her styles would look good on me. I don''t look like her, but it must have been her nose that I was tuning in to (or old nose, I guess). I try to find pictures of hairstyles for the larger-nose crowd, but there aren''t many celebrities with big noses.

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
OH Gawd! I almost forgot to post pics. This is PS afterall, and it seems threads without pics are illegal!

So here''s the hairdo. It was a while after getting it done, so the pictures really don''t do it justice (bangs look a little weird). I also drove with the windows down on the way home
9.gif
lovely day in Cali! It''s actually a little bit of a mixture between Nicole and Elisa, longer in the front but picey layers throughout.

miahairbob1.JPG

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock

miahairbob2.JPG

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very Very Cute!! I love it! I think it''s adorable, feminine, and a little saucy, love it!! It looks great at accenting your jaw line too, very pretty.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I love it you look amazing :) the new hairstyle rocks and you rock it well :D

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
I''m really into COLOUR at the moment, rather than style... not that I usually get around to getting my hair professionally done (although I''m planning to visit a salon soon, based on a friend''s glowing recommendation!)

What happened was... I had a spare rainy afternoon, and watched a few episodes of a particular makeover show, back to back. I couldn''t get over what a HUGE difference the colour aspect of the hair cut made!!

Now, I''m not saying I actually have recommendation about your hair colour! But on the tv show
20.gif
a warmish, light colour (with light and shade) really seemed to do ''the trick'' on the show participants most of the time!!!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
mia- I love it!! Since you are my twin, you should know that I have a similar hair cut!
36.gif
But no bangs, and a little shorter.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mia -- I love the new ''do! It''s funny, I always picture you as a brunette while I''m reading your posts. It''s nice to "meet" you!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VERY VERY cute on you! I am glad you cut it shorter!

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
OH GAAAWSH.... I am so glad you guys like it. I''m pretty happy too. Although i haven''t showered and done my hair yet today, so we''ll see how easy it is to do....

Thanks for the compliments Kcourselle, Deelight, San Diego Lady, and April Baby, you are all so sweet!

LaraOnline- I agree, color can make a huge difference. I think blonde works best with my skin though, I''ve tried every other color and blonde works the best.

Icekid-
your are my hair twin too?
31.gif
That is crazy!

ZoeBartlett- Really? That''s so funny! I do the same thing... you get a feel for what someone looks like, and then are shocked when they post a pic and look different. It''s kind of like watching the movie version of a book and the characters look different then you were picturing. But you aren''t far off.... I am a natural brunette!
9.gif
Well it''s a veeery light brown, that some people describe as a reeeeally dirty blonde. If you look up at the top pic on this thread all of the darker hair on the bottom is my natural color. I only highlight the top of my hair.
1.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
ooh I was so going to say bob as well so delighted that you went and got it cut. You look amazing!

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Mia, you look gorgeous in your new modern "do". It really does bring out your natural beauty. My daughter really loves your cut, too. She is ready to take the leap and cut about 8 inches off her hair, but it will still land a couple of inches below her shoulders.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2009 2:56:31 PM
But you aren''t far off.... I am a natural brunette!
9.gif
Well it''s a veeery light brown, that some people describe as a reeeeally dirty blonde. If you look up at the top pic on this thread all of the darker hair on the bottom is my natural color. I only highlight the top of my hair.
1.gif
To add to our twinness, it sounds like we have the same (natural) hair color, too! My hair dresser calls my hair the darkest blonde/lightest brown. And she is always after me to get highlights, but I just feel like they would look yucky quickly because I don''t have time to keep up with frequent highlights.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
You look gorgeous!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results