shape
carat
color
clarity

Hair dye...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm still trying to get my mind off things, at least for a bit, so I am interested in PSers opinions regarding hair dye and what might be the least damaging. After this last superstorm and with a Nor'easter coming our way again I feel my hair is going gray pretty quickly right now! :knockout: I know there have been a couple of threads on gray hair and coloring hair but only a couple of specific hair dye brand suggestions in those threads. So I am looking to see if there are any more recommendations for specific hair dyes.

I have dark brown hair and I feel the need for a (small) change. I don't want to get it professionally done and am looking for something I can do easily at home. First off help me with the color. Should I go with ash or reddish highlights? My natural color has some red in it so maybe I should go with the flow and just enhance that? I have a pale skin tone (with some pink undertones when I blush/flush).

I do have some gray (and more now than 2 weeks ago LOL) so anything that offers gray coverage is a plus. I am interested in a permanent color and not semipermanent I think but open to any recommendations. I also want something that has low or no ammonia and low peroxide if possible as my hair is somewhat fragile and I don't want to cause breakage. Any suggestions? I have tried Herbatint in the past and that's not difficult to apply but just wondering if there was anything else out there PSers have tried and liked and also open to color suggestions.

I am attaching a couple of pics that show (as best as I can because it is difficult to 100% portray accurate hair color on a computer) my hair color now and for an added bonus I am wearing the new earrings I just got from Sarahbear on loupetroop! You know PSers are going to include bling whenever we can LOL!! Thanks Sarah- I love my "new" earrings!! First pic is with some natural light and next 2 are without much light so you can see how dark it is.

Thanks!

mybrownhaircolorwithearringfromsarahbear.jpg

brownhair.jpg

closeupbrownhairandammyearrings.jpg

closeuphaircolor.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want something with no peroxide, no ammonia, and more importantly, no PPD, take a gander at Goldwell's elumen. It's only sold in salons but my scalp never itches or burns afterwards. I have strong sensitivity to PPD so this works for me. I don't think it lasts as long as the dyes with PPDs but it is very gentle on my hair. No breakage, no drying, no frizz and still gives a long lasting natural sheen.
http://www.goldwell-northamerica.com/site/products/color/elumen

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the info Chrono. I checked it out and it seems the closest place to me is on Long Island so might be an option but right now it's too far away. But I will keep the info for a future date. No damage/breakage etc sounds great!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Missy, I think you and I might be twins! Recently I started coloring my hair. I learned about a neat trick that has been working well for me. I use semipermanent color one shade lighter than my natural color. It covers the gray but it doesn't affect the rest of my hair color (because its a lighter shade and without any Peroxide to lighten my base tone it can't be seen on my non-gray hair). Then the gray hairs become more like subtle highlights. And they just eventually fade back to gray. Its a very natural look and it's gentle on my fragile hair. It might be worth trying. Semipermanent color doesn't cover everyone's gray so I guess it will depend on how resistant your grays are. (Also if you've used henna or other similar lighteners I think you can't use traditional color until it all grows out).

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
I use Natural Instincts (when I do dye, I have an all white bathroom and I usually try to schedule it with a trip home or the inlaws LOL). I really like the colors and it seems to make my hair glossier. Pretty hair and earrings, btw! :) I just make sure to use a shampoo and conditioner for colored hair to make it last longer. It's semi-perm and lasts a couple months. I tried Henna and never again (even natural henna ground straight from the plant) - it made my hair super brassy.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
webdiva|1352128699|3299015 said:
I use Natural Instincts (when I do dye, I have an all white bathroom and I usually try to schedule it with a trip home or the inlaws LOL). I really like the colors and it seems to make my hair glossier. Pretty hair and earrings, btw! :) I just make sure to use a shampoo and conditioner for colored hair to make it last longer. It's semi-perm and lasts a couple months. I tried Henna and never again (even natural henna ground straight from the plant) - it made my hair super brassy.

I also use Natural Insticts and it works pretty good. It doesn't always dye all of my gray, but the trade off is it washes out slowly and doesn't leave a grow-out line, which is a big deal to me because I'm not entirely organized about dying my hair every 6 weeks or so. I dye it about 4 times a year (but now it's starting to gray a lot more, so I'll probably up that).

If you do have some red in your hair, GO WITH THAT!!! If you try and go with something opposite of your natural color, it could clash with your skin tone or bring out undertones you don't want to bring out. My hair is medium ash brown and I dyed it light ash brown last week and it worked perfectly. With Natural Instincts, I've found that the color always ends up a bit darker. I've tried going to a redish brown, but since it's not like my natural color, that shade makes my skin look kind of jandice-like so I try to stay with what my hair normally would be.

Oh, and you mentioned highlights...I wasn't sure if you're talking of using those kits in the store. But, watch out! Years ago I ended up with burgandy hair with orange highlights and had to have it professionally fixed! That was not even close to what the box said my hair would turn out like!

ETA - You have pretty hair! Be sure NOT to use permanent color. The majority of the ones are permanent, so be careful! You don't want to be stuck with a grow-out line on long hair!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
My hair (under all the dye) is very close to yours; dark brown, almost black. But mine is sprinkled with a ton of grey strands. Bleah!

I use Garnier Nutrisse in #63 Brown Sugar. The color is very true to the top of the carton, after a couple of washes. It starts out a bit darker. I color mine every 4-6 weeks, or I have a line where my hair grows out (1/2 inch at least! My hair grows fast, it seems). To avoid a line, I would have to foil it and do strands, but the grey is pretty strong, so I do my whole head. The formula really doesn't dry out my hair, but my hair spray does, so I will use Argon oil (from drugstores) once in a while to re-shine it.

To pick a color, bring a mirror with you, and hold the box top up to your face. Comes out pretty true.

Good luck!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I just wanted to recommend Light Mountain Natural Color the Gray hair color and conditioner. Long name I know. It is a henna ( with other herbs) but it comes in browns. My hair started showing gray early so I started dying it. But because my hair damages easily it looked terrible and was breaking off from the hair dye. Also the dye sometimes irritated my scalp. Anyway it does make my hair brown with reddish highlights as you can see in the photo ( but not red and brassy) . And my hair feels much healthier. I only wish there were lighter brown colors.

the only draw back is it's messy to apply and you have to do do it like every five weeks. But I have been very happy with it.

ETA: I just realized the flash from the camera makes it look like I have a gray streak through my hair! It's just the flash!

hair-color.jpg

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I use Wella Color Charm demi-permanent color and it covers all my gray - makes them look like highlights and is very gentle on my hair. I use the Dark Sand and it gives me some nice highlights in my hair. I always get great compliments on the color.I have to retouch every 3 weeks because my hair grows so fast. My friend told me that the trick to get great gray coverage was to use it on dry hair not towel dried hair as some haircolors state .

I am attaching a link to their product guide and the demi-permanent starts on page 6 and page 7 gives you a color chart. I know Sally Beauty Stores carry this as that is where I buy.

http://media.wella.com/m/pdf/Color_charm_education/WCC_Product_Catalog-English.pdf

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1352133358|3299077 said:
I also use Clariol Natural Instincts when I do it myself. I do not like permanent color although if you reapply often as I do, it never fades. I just have to redo the roots. I do go have it done, too, just because it is easier!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00182JYZ6/ref=rcxsubs_mys2_product_title

For those who use Natural Instincts, do you use the two week refresher packets that come with the dye? I always forget to apply those... I am wondering if they do make the dye last longer and/or not dry out your hair.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was going to recommend that Natural Instincts as well, and if you want to prevent your base color from changing a lot you can add just a little water to the developer to make it less strong. Not much, since I think that one is already fairly thin, so just a little dribble, maybe a tablespoon at most. I do that sometimes to make the potency of mine lower, and to thin it out a little bec otherwise it gets too thick as it stands and ends up gelantinous.

I would go with maybe a "golden brown" or "bronze brown" option vs a reddish anything. Those will go warmer and redder than a natural option and that gives you a chance to see how you like it with your skin before you start adding more red.

I personally would avoid any of the "natural" options like Henna because you cannot usually use traditional box dyes over those without cutting that stuff out of your hair first (i.e. cut all the henna out). They coat the hair shaft in a way that standard dye cannot properly penetrate and you get strange results and in some cases damage to your hair.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its just about time for me to dye again, so thanks for the thread Missy! This has gotten me thinking that I should branch out and try something new.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rosebloom|1352123488|3298963 said:
Missy, I think you and I might be twins! Recently I started coloring my hair. I learned about a neat trick that has been working well for me. I use semipermanent color one shade lighter than my natural color. It covers the gray but it doesn't affect the rest of my hair color (because its a lighter shade and without any Peroxide to lighten my base tone it can't be seen on my non-gray hair). Then the gray hairs become more like subtle highlights. And they just eventually fade back to gray. Its a very natural look and it's gentle on my fragile hair. It might be worth trying. Semipermanent color doesn't cover everyone's gray so I guess it will depend on how resistant your grays are. (Also if you've used henna or other similar lighteners I think you can't use traditional color until it all grows out).

That's a great tip Rosebloom- thank you! What semi-permanent color brand are you using?
I've never used henna or lighteners on my hair so this may be something I could try!

Webdiva- thanks for the recommendation. It seems a few PSers really like Natural Instincts. I like that it makes your hair glossier. I need to be cautious though using anything because my hair is fragile to begin with and losing hair runs in my family. When my grandmother died my mom lost most of her hair and while it did come back it took years if I am remembering correctly so not sure if that makes me more prone to hair loss or not. And my mom has never dyed her hair- it is all gray now. But at least she has it all!

Thank you for those useful tips MC- I think I will follow that advice. Not fighting the red. I have never highlighted my hair- too much maintenance because I would have to have that professionally done. I'm pretty lazy that way and only visit my hairdresser a few times a year. In fact, I was so lazy last time I didn't even want to travel to him and it had been 6 months since I had it cut so last week I used my dh's guy (who works down the block so super convenient) who chopped too much off so lesson learned!

Thanks iLander. I definitely don't want to color it every 4- 6 weeks- too much maintenance for me. Honestly, if I could just go gray where it would look good I would but maybe down the road as it is not enough gray yet. I cannot believe I am saying that because I used to criticize my mom about going gray but there you have it. But I'm not at that stage yet so thank you for your recommendation. I like the name of your color- brown sugar...sounds yummy!

Innerkitten- your hair so so pretty! Love the color and love the shine! Thank you for your recommendation.

DS- thank you. It seems that Natural Instincts is the popular favorite among those who have replied. I am definitely going to check it out. I just want to use something with minimal harsh chemicals so am going to look up the ingredients on this brand.

Soocool- how much of a lighter color could I use and still cover the gray do you think? My hair is so dark I am wondering if more than a shade lighter would cover it? Not even sure one shade lighter would be dark enough to color my gray but I guess it depends on the person's hair. Looks like semi-demi permanent is the way to go though vs the permanent I was initially thinking about doing.

Thank you Sakuracherry. Not sure about henna reading some of the other replies but I really know absolutely nothing about henna so will have to read up on that.

Thanks Ame. If I remember correctly from when I did use the herbatint color it didn't really "block" my red- I think that might be difficult to do so your suggestion would probably be the most subtle way to see how some more red looks. Great advice. I have to tell you that your hair color is amazing and I wish I could get my hair that color with no maintenance LOL but I know that's not going to happen. Anyway, just wanted to say how much I love your hair color!

You're very welcome minousbijoux. I am glad this thread was helpful to someone else besides just me. I knew PS would be the place to go for some sage advice on this (or any!) topic. :))

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Henna is fine if you plan to stick with henna. It's if you try to use a regular dye on top of it that you'll have problems. But you can use regular ( chemical ) dye after a certain amount of time I believe. But it does cover gray and it coats your hair instead of stripping it.

When I started using henna half the length of my hair still had regular dye in it and it didn't turn green or anything.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
innerkitten|1352143235|3299191 said:
Henna is fine if you plan to stick with henna. It's if you try to use a regular dye on top of it that you'll have problems. But you can use regular ( chemical ) dye after a certain amount of time I believe. But it does cover gray and it coats your hair instead of stripping it.

When I started using henna half the length of my hair still had regular dye in it and it didn't turn green or anything.

Thank you Innerkitten- that does sound good actually-coating rather than stripping. I will check your recommendation out. I appreciate your recommendation.

I am still hesitating on doing anything right now as I am sure my hair is thinning. :(sad

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
You're welcome. What caused your hair to thin?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
innerkitten|1352419616|3301508 said:
You're welcome. What caused your hair to thin?

Age and stress is my guess as I use no heat on it anymore (haven't for many years since I decided to let it be naturally curly) and rarely color. I asked my dermatologist about it and he suggested I start the GNC hair/skin/nails vitamins. He said that some of his patients swear by it and if I don't see a difference after a few months I can stop.

I also have thin/fine hair to begin with so it's just getting worse as I get older. The reason I think it is thinning is when I pull it back in a ponytail I can see some of my scalp more easily than I used to (I think). I have been trying to wear it down more so as to put less tension on it vs wearing it up or in a ponytail. I just prefer my hair back or in a ponytail but I have been wearing it that way less and when I do wear it up I try not to make it tight.

Having said that, I do not rule out coloring it as I have been thinking about a change for a while and that is why I started this thread. As I get closer to doing it though I start getting cold feet about the possibility of making the thinning problem worse. Though I did read that coloring can make it appear thicker. I just don't want to damage it by coloring and make any hair loss/thinning worse.

Thanks for asking innerkitten.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
So it's not a thyroid issue ? That's good. I have delicate hair too. It damages easily and can break off causing split ends :(
That's why I stopped using regular hair dye and started using henna. I have seen some improvement now that the dyed hair has grown out.

GL!

sapphirering

Shiny_Rock
Missy, I've switched to organic hair dyes when I got pregnant and have been very happy with Naturcolor. It is very gentle and lasts about 4 weeks. (Unless you wash your hair once a week, I find that all dyes start to fade after 10 shampoos or so.) Their website kinda sucks, but you can find them at local health food store.

The trick with home coloring is the application. Since you have long hair, be sure to buy at least 2 boxes. Have a wet towel handy to wipe away spills. And I find that it's far easier to rinse out your hair in the kitchen sink (if you don't find bending over too uncomfortable) than rinsing out the dye in the shower.

eta: In general, organic hair dye using vegetable dyes shouldn't damage your hair as it doesn't use any chemicals to lift your natural color. It just deposits color on your hair shaft, so you hair will appear thicker after you color.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
missy|1352142011|3299183 said:
Thank you for those useful tips MC- I think I will follow that advice. Not fighting the red. I have never highlighted my hair- too much maintenance because I would have to have that professionally done. I'm pretty lazy that way and only visit my hairdresser a few times a year. In fact, I was so lazy last time I didn't even want to travel to him and it had been 6 months since I had it cut so last week I used my dh's guy (who works down the block so super convenient) who chopped too much off so lesson learned!

Yeah, if you're casual about your hair appointments, then nat. instincts is perfect! I'm the same way too about procrastinating and I even started cutting my own hair for a while because it was easier for me. Wash-out dye allows much more flexibility, plus you can play around with various colors.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
missy|1352142011|3299183 said:
Rosebloom|1352123488|3298963 said:

That's a great tip Rosebloom- thank you! What semi-permanent color brand are you using?
I've never used henna or lighteners on my hair so this may be something I could try!

Webdiva- thanks for the recommendation. It seems a few PSers really like Natural Instincts. I like that it makes your hair glossier. I need to be cautious though using anything because my hair is fragile to begin with and losing hair runs in my family. When my grandmother died my mom lost most of her hair and while it did come back it took years if I am remembering correctly so not sure if that makes me more prone to hair loss or not. And my mom has never dyed her hair- it is all gray now. But at least she has it all!

Thanks iLander. I definitely don't want to color it every 4- 6 weeks- too much maintenance for me. Honestly, if I could just go gray where it would look good I would but maybe down the road as it is not enough gray yet. I cannot believe I am saying that because I used to criticize my mom about going gray but there you have it. But I'm not at that stage yet so thank you for your recommendation. I like the name of your color- brown sugar...sounds yummy!

Innerkitten- your hair so so pretty! Love the color and love the shine! Thank you for your recommendation.

DS- thank you. It seems that Natural Instincts is the popular favorite among those who have replied. I am definitely going to check it out. I just want to use something with minimal harsh chemicals so am going to look up the ingredients on this brand.

Soocool- how much of a lighter color could I use and still cover the gray do you think? My hair is so dark I am wondering if more than a shade lighter would cover it? Not even sure one shade lighter would be dark enough to color my gray but I guess it depends on the person's hair. Looks like semi-demi permanent is the way to go though vs the permanent I was initially thinking about doing.

Thank you Sakuracherry. Not sure about henna reading some of the other replies but I really know absolutely nothing about henna so will have to read up on that.

Thanks Ame. If I remember correctly from when I did use the herbatint color it didn't really "block" my red- I think that might be difficult to do so your suggestion would probably be the most subtle way to see how some more red looks. Great advice. I have to tell you that your hair color is amazing and I wish I could get my hair that color with no maintenance LOL but I know that's not going to happen. Anyway, just wanted to say how much I love your hair color!

You're very welcome minousbijoux. I am glad this thread was helpful to someone else besides just me. I knew PS would be the place to go for some sage advice on this (or any!) topic. :))

Missy if you are going the demipermanent route start a couple of shades lighter to see if you like the effect. Demi permanent won't lighten your hair, but it will turn your grays into beautiful natural highlights. Since you have dark hair to begin with you don't have to worry about picking a color that would darken your hair. If you feel it does not cover the grays as much as you would like then go the next shade darker.

If you have a Sally's Beauty Supply or any similar store near you go visit one. They have hair swatches of all their demipernanent hair colors. Clairol also carries a professional demi permenent line and Sally's carries their own Ion line. I had tried Natural Instincts in the past, but once I found the Wella line via my hairdresser friend I never went back. Each time I color my hair it costs me less than $4.00.

Since we lost power due to Sandy it has been 5 weeks since I colored my hair and just now the grays are bothering me. But the only grays I see are the roots, no where else through my hair. I however chose a shade slightly darker than my own because I love the richer color.

Finally the other great thing about demi permanent is that it gives your hair incredible shine and makes it feel thicker.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Missy, just wanted to add to really cover the grays wash your hair the day before and apply to dry hair not damp or towel dried. This is a trick my friend taught me. When you are done wait at least 48 hours before you shampoo and use a shampoo and conditioner for color treated hair. This sounds strange but a couple of times a week I just use conditioner on my hair and no shampoo.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
soocool|1352459458|3301719 said:
Missy, just wanted to add to really cover the grays wash your hair the day before and apply to dry hair not damp or towel dried. This is a trick my friend taught me. When you are done wait at least 48 hours before you shampoo and use a shampoo and conditioner for color treated hair. This sounds strange but a couple of times a week I just use conditioner on my hair and no shampoo.

Thanks for those tips soocool. The shampoo with conditioner doesn't sound strange at all because I do that sometimes now. I wash my hair every other day but occasionally I will wash it with conditioner and if I am using shampoo I will use one without the harsh chemicals. I like Ouidad shampoo and also Giovanni shampoo. Now that the air is dry and cold I will be probably doing this more.
I also deep condition about one to two times a week but I wonder if that would make the color wash out faster when using demi or semi permanent. But my hair needs the deep condition.

MC- That's great you can give yourself trims! I wish I could cut my own hair. The only cutting of hair I ever did was when I had bangs. And even on bangs I would not do a good job despite all the videos I watched on how to do it. I am not talented in that area LOL. Much easier now that I do not have bangs in maintaining my hair. Though I really miss my bangs a lot- but I needed a change. I probably will go back to bangs one day...

Sapphirering-thanks for that recommendation. Sounds promising and anything that makes my hair appear thicker is a good thing!

When I color I will report back with results!

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I use Feria deep conditioner which I get at Sally's once a week sparingly (a little goes a long way) during the winter andvit is fine, does not wash the color out. I like that deminpermanents wash out gradually. I understand that henna does not wash out, but can build up on your hair and the only way to getvrid of it is to cut it out.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
missy|1352461119|3301727 said:
MC- That's great you can give yourself trims! I wish I could cut my own hair. The only cutting of hair I ever did was when I had bangs. And even on bangs I would not do a good job despite all the videos I watched on how to do it. I am not talented in that area LOL. Much easier now that I do not have bangs in maintaining my hair. Though I really miss my bangs a lot- but I needed a change. I probably will go back to bangs one day...

Yeah, keep in mind, the good trims were after a few major mess-ups. I once gave myself a step-pyramid haircut when trying to do layers. The hairdresser was at a loss as to how to fix it! lol It was a painful year of bad hair days as that cut grew back out!

Can't wait to see your hair results! (and I love your earrings! I kept looking at them in the pictures, but didn't know they are new. very pretty!)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
soocool|1352133411|3299078 said:
I use Wella Color Charm demi-permanent color and it covers all my gray - makes them look like highlights and is very gentle on my hair. I use the Dark Sand and it gives me some nice highlights in my hair. I always get great compliments on the color.I have to retouch every 3 weeks because my hair grows so fast. My friend told me that the trick to get great gray coverage was to use it on dry hair not towel dried hair as some haircolors state .

I am attaching a link to their product guide and the demi-permanent starts on page 6 and page 7 gives you a color chart. I know Sally Beauty Stores carry this as that is where I buy.

http://media.wella.com/m/pdf/Color_charm_education/WCC_Product_Catalog-English.pdf

So, I had pretty much made up my mind to not color my hair and see what happens. However I am vacillating and while I am still not sure what I want to do I am leaning towards trying the Wella color charm demi permanent color you recommended and just have a question or two.

I was reading the reviews on MUA and everyone agrees to go lighter but my question is what if I go to the darker blonde colors. Will my hair still look "natural" brown? I want to keep the brown but not go darker at all and the natural light brown (which seems to be the lightest brown shade available) seems to make hair darker (after reading the reviews on MUA) which is not what I want. I prefer slightly lighter vs darker because as I get older I don't want a harsh color difference b/w my skin (very pale) and hair color that I see in many women. Too Morticia- like for my tastes.

What color would you recommend? I checked out the color chart you linked but it is confusing to me because I am not well versed in hair dye. I cannot figure out what would be safe (i.e.not turn it a weird color) for my brown hair but not make it darker.

Also, what developer should I choose? It seems there are different choices but I am confused as to what would be best. I am looking mainly for gray coverage in the least damaging and lowest maintenance way possible. If that is even doable lol.
And one last question on the ratio of developer to color. After reading the reviews on MUA it seems that though the recommended by manufacturer ratio is 2:1 many of the reviewers say that actually can "lift" color and they recommend a 1:1 ratio to prevent that. Any thoughts?

Thanks again and sorry for all the (stupid) questions!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results