shape
carat
color
clarity
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PriceScope Upgrade Completed
    For issues, questions and comments click the link below
    https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pricescope-upgraded-comments-and-issues.229551/

Dismiss Notice

had you ever been invited to a divorce party?

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by Dancing Fire, Jun 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dancing Fire
    Super_Ideal_Rock

2. trillionaire
    Ideal_Rock

by trillionaire » Jun 20, 2009
    I was not, but my SO was. He went. He said it was weird, but everyone seemed really happy. (it was for the ex-wife, and she had been a victim of domestic abuse by her ex-hub)

Recently, he went to a cookout for another divorcing couple. (they are still living together, currently, even though it has been a while) The ex-wife brought her boyfriend to the cookout, which was a b-day party for her. This made things really awkward for all of their mutual friends, who were present. The ex-hubby left shortly.

Strange things these days...

but I'm not going to lie, I've told all my friends that if SO and I break up, I am throwing a HUGE party, since it would be my first time being single since I was 20! [​IMG] Coming up on 27 now... [​IMG] It would feel like a divorce party in many respects... we've known each other for 9 years!

3. radiantquest
    Ideal_Rock

by radiantquest » Jun 20, 2009
    thats funny that you ask. we have a soap opera situation where i work

kim was married to geano
    bob was married to courtney
    angies was married to rob
    rob and bob are best friends
    kim is now engaged to bob
    courtney is now engaged to rob and
    angie is engaged to james.

its crazy, the point is rob and courtney had a divorce party for rob and angies divorce and angie and james are having a divorce party for rob and angies divorce all within 2 weeks of one another

i have never been to one, but if that is what makes them happy... i personally think it is kind of sad.

4. Italiahaircolor
    Ideal_Rock

by Italiahaircolor » Jun 20, 2009
    When my girlfriend got divorced she was very depressed...so...I threw her a divorce party. I took us and two of our other friends to Las Vegas to party. We did the spa, fancy dinners, caught a show...she was happy in the end, which made me happy.

5. Scorpioanne
    Shiny_Rock

by Scorpioanne » Jun 20, 2009
    I threw myself a divorce party and it was a lot of fun. I made a cake and put just the bride on top. I got presents! It never occurred to me I''d get presents!

6. Linda W
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by Linda W » Jun 20, 2009
    Yes, I had one for myself when my divorce from my ex was final. Never so happy in my life, to get rid of the buzzard.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. Dancing Fire
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by Dancing Fire » Jun 20, 2009
    grandma,cuz you were laughing to the bank. [​IMG]

8. sba771
    Brilliant_Rock

by sba771 » Jun 21, 2009
    My mom had a divorce party and I was really proud of her. It was more of a celebration of her moving on with her life and getting rid of the scumbag known as my father. It was actually funny because so many people came out with the truth of how they hated my dad all those years. It celebrated her strength and was a really happy occasion.

9. mysterylover
    Rough_Rock

by mysterylover » Jun 21, 2009
    I don't know anyone who would think that was a fun idea, so the answer is no.

Maybe I'm just a stuffed shirt, but I don't think the demise of what was supposed to be 'forever' and "let no man put asunder" is a big joke, so "Woo-Hoo! Let's party!"

Gosh, I'm a drag. [​IMG]

10. Linda W
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by Linda W » Jun 21, 2009

In my case, I had been physically abused. Also, he was a cop, they aren''t supposed to do these things. So I was glad to whoo hoo, let''s have a party ha ha ha ha ha.

11. sba771
    Brilliant_Rock

by sba771 » Jun 21, 2009
    Ditto on the abuse (not my mom, me) plus my father lead a double life, had an affair and another family for 14+ years all while lying to my mother, myself and my brothers. So Linda I am there partying with you!!!

12. mysterylover
    Rough_Rock

by mysterylover » Jun 21, 2009
    That would be a party throwing occasion for sure. I make exception for those removing themselves from destructive relationships. You must have felt such relief when you were able to ''kick him to the curb''.

13. joelly
    Brilliant_Rock
    Trade

by joelly » Jun 21, 2009
    Oh my, this is the worst scenario. I am glad you are out of it now. So yeah!!! Party on!!!!

14. Kelli
    Ideal_Rock

by Kelli » Jun 21, 2009
    I haven''t, but I''d totally go if it was someone I loved getting out of a terrible situation or something like that.

15. arjunajane
    Ideal_Rock

by arjunajane » Jun 21, 2009
    I think like alot of other things, it depends on the nature of it.
    I haven''t been invited to one, but when I was younger I bartended for one - it was the guy''s party with
    all his mates, and they were just being obnoxious and the recently divorced guy was cracking onto all the women
    (incl. me, urgh), so I guess my initial impression of this was pretty negative![​IMG]

In cases like Linda, I can completely see where it has its place

16. Jelly
    Ideal_Rock

by Jelly » Jun 21, 2009
    DF always has the funniest topics here!! Nope, haven''t been to a divorce party yet.

17. chiapet
    Brilliant_Rock

by chiapet » Jun 21, 2009
    Oh yeah! I threw myself a divorce party last year. My friends came over, we had pizza, rearranged my furniture [​IMG] It was awesome and a much needed distraction!
    But no, I''ve never been to other people''s divorce party.

18. cara
    Ideal_Rock

by cara » Jun 21, 2009
    Not a divorce party, but after a friend broke up with his crazy vegetarian girlfriend (the crazy and vegetarian being unrelated traits), he threw a big ole' meat party! It was pretty fun.

But even though his ex rubbed me the wrong way a few times, I later ran into her and she was still pretty confused as to why her boyfriend of 1.5 yrs dumped her out of the blue. Made me feel sad. Even if she's a little odd and hard to get along with, she didn't deserve to be dumped with no explanation and then have her dumping partied over by all her ex-boyfriend's friends that she'd hung out with for the last year plus. Would have been different if she'd behaved badly (cheating, abuse) versus just being a person with sometimes poor social skills possibly in need of some counseling.

19. TravelingGal
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by TravelingGal » Jun 21, 2009
    I would have partied right there with ya Linda. Good for you!

20. Lilac
    Brilliant_Rock

by Lilac » Jun 22, 2009
    Never been invited to one ,and not sure I would want to go to one if it was a marriage that ended because of the two people "just couldn''t get along" after getting married or just couldn''t work things out. Or just got bored of each other.

However I would absolutely go to one if it were a situation where the person had been emotionally/physically abused and finally got out of the situation. That''s a reason to celebrate.

21. Linda W
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by Linda W » Jun 22, 2009

T-Gal, I think you would have been only 2 years old then. HA, but I love the idea that you would have partied with me. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.