shape
carat
color
clarity

had something surreal happen to me

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This weekend on Sunday was trying to find a knob and screw I had misplaced. Swearing, I ended up dumping out this junk box/drawer we have on a table trying to find it or a complementary screw.
And underneath all the rubble (rings of keys, nails, marbles, even literally rocks) - was my old ring!
I literally searched for weeks before I made the claim on my old ring, and as it occurered close to the time someone came in our house and stole some items (piggybanks and electric items) I thought for sure it was gone gone gone.

Have no idea how it got in there. I cleaned it up and other than a few scratches on metal, looks fine (can't see any chips on the stones). I am relieved and happy. I will figure out the rest of the details later.

So hoping something good happened to you today!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh wow! That is awesome!

I assume you are going to have to return it to them, correct?

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well that's the thing. That's what they normally do, is have it returned to them. But I'm attached to this ring. So we will make other arrangements. so we agreed I will do monthly payments to them until the amount they paid out is paid back to them.
Normally we have enough of a buffer, but we are having our house re-roofed, carpentry, and also gutters, which is all coming out of our emergency fund (we don't have a heloc anymore). We also have to pay the bill for our daughter's specialized education this summer. So for us right now, making payments makes sense.
I would consider selling the Whiteflash ring, but don't want to take a bath on it. They offered to take the new ring, but it would be considered "salvage" and priced as such, to defray costs. Thanks but no thanks.
So for now, just will do the payments and figure out rest later.
Obviously, fancypants vacation for next year's 20th anniversary not going to happen.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
part gypsy|1427315583|3852380 said:
Well that's the thing. That's what they normally do, is have it returned to them. But I'm attached to this ring. So we will make other arrangements. so we agreed I will do monthly payments to them until the amount they paid out is paid back to them.
Normally we have enough of a buffer, but we are having our house re-roofed, carpentry, and also gutters, which is all coming out of our emergency fund (we don't have a heloc anymore). We also have to pay the bill for our daughter's specialized education this summer. So for us right now, making payments makes sense.
I would consider selling the Whiteflash ring, but don't want to take a bath on it. They offered to take the new ring, but it would be considered "salvage" and priced as such, to defray costs. Thanks but no thanks.
So for now, just will do the payments and figure out rest later.
Obviously, fancypants vacation for next year's 20th anniversary not going to happen.
Yknow what, that might be worth forgoing if this ring means that much.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, normally the way it works, if something stolen or lost is recovered, then the recovered item belongs to the insurance co. Something to think about when you have an item of jewelry stolen.
In retrospect, maybe I should have waited longer to replace, but obviously I didn't know this was going to happen.
I really like the whiteflash ring as well (it is beautiful) but it doesn't have the sentimental value. So, not going to make a decision on this today.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is great!!!! Do you think you put it there and forgot OR is it possible the thieves tossed it there?

It's nice to read a happy resolution. :appl:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's great you found your ring. Good luck working things out with insurance.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, will definitely be posting items on preloved forum in the future. Husband was pretty upset I told them because yes the timing is terrible, too bad this didn't happen a couple months from now when maybe we would have gotten our feet underneath us again. I'm glad I have the ring back, but the implications what it means for us financially, sucks right now. Just don't know what to do :blackeye:

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring clearly means a lot to you and I am so happy you have it again!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do. It will all work out in the end.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So happy you found it! Things will work out. Payments sound like a good idea.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. I am wearing my ring today. The paying back part is not great but there are worse things in life. I know it's superstitious but I feel like it's my talisman, feels like things are more right with the world now that it is back on my finger.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so glad you found the ring that means so much to you! :appl: Wear it in good health! Your story also gives me hope for one or two pieces of jewelry I've lost... :pray:

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
VRBeauty|1427470706|3853272 said:
I'm so glad you found the ring that means so much to you! :appl: Wear it in good health! Your story also gives me hope for one or two pieces of jewelry I've lost... :pray:
I am happy to hear this too!!! :appl:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I posted the replacement ring on prevloved, so well see if it gets any interest/offers. Whew. It's a really pretty ring, better put it back in the safe so I don't get tempted to keep it!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so happy for you that you found your original ring! Must be so exciting to find something that you thought for certain was lost!

While I know it is the right thing to do, kudos to you for reporting it to the insurance company. Many people would not be as decent and would simply let it go. Being honest comes at a price to be paid for you as well at a time when it is least welcomed. I do, however, believe in karma and by doing this you've upped your share of it considerably. I am sure that you are the type of person that could not live with the knowledge but I salute you in your efforts to be decent and fair.

When you have a chance, please post a picture for us of your original ring. It sounds beautiful! Best of luck with the sale of your replacement ring and may there be many more happy diamond opportunities for you in the future.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I think this is ultimately a great thing! I feel that jewelry more than other material possessions holds a very special value and positive energy and I think the best thing that could have happened is finding it now. Of course it is awful that you have to pay back the insurance but yes, you can try selling your replacement ring or some other items. I do understand the financial implications but still finding your ring is worth a lot. Do you have pix of your original ring that you found? So happy for you, yaaay! No clue about the history of this loss of theft so cannot comment there but I think that at the end some good luck will come to you as a result of having it back on your finger.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
shoot I was just going to post the link to the original thread (awaiting a ring) but the photos are no longer active. My old camera, focus doesn't work too well, new camera, still learning how to use.

oldringoutside1.jpg

2015oldringoutside2.jpg

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Your ring is gorgeous and unique and I'm so happy for you that you found it! The new one is very nice too and hopefully it will sell quickly. Kudos to you for doing the right thing.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And this is the ring I purchased to replace, which is a variation on a theme, with platinum head and 18K gold which I find very comfortable to wear.
Let's just say I'm not going to quit my day job to take jewelry/gem photos (understatement).

diamondsolitaire1.jpg

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Missgotrocks, Ovincze, Sundial for your good wishes, I really appreciate it!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your original ring is beautiful - I can see why you were so upset to lose it! The replacement is beautiful too but it doesn't have the additional diamonds or sentiment. I am truly happy for you!

Don't worry about the pictures - seems some have a knack for doing it and others don't. I'm in the latter camp as well!

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I love your original ring too, it is definitely original.:))) I am glad you are keeping that one and are able to keep it. Sometimes we have to sacrifice certain things, sigh. I do believe in karma and I think that you were honest and did the right thing will eventually bring something else that is good your way. Can we have some stats on your original ring? So happy for you, I know I would have been heartbroken to lose a favorite piece.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is going by memory, but the center stone is a .47 carat H vs2 diamond, nonbranded hearts and arrows. The smallest stones are 5 points and the other side ones between 10 or 15 points, I can't remember. I think it adds up to .81 carats.
It is in the process of getting re-insured and also sent off first check to adjustment people. Hopefully there will be some months I can pay more and get it paid off sooner.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is an update. Trying to sell replacement ring, but no luck. Perhaps I am setting price too high? As it is priced, I would lose about 900 on it at this point (68% of original price). If I sold back to WF I would lose about 1300-1400, but with less risk in the transaction. Any suggestions? I would hate to lose that much money on it, plus can imagine one of my 2 daughters may want the stone in the future.

The other option is to simply give the original anniversary ring back, which would cancel out what I owe (3550). Upside, erased that debt and don't have to worry about selling the replacement ring privately (see above).
The downside is that the ring fits me perfectly, both size, comfort/how it feels on my finger/hand. I know I am of course biased, but think the center diamond is the prettiest diamond ever :love: Also my oldest daughter doesn't want me to give it back and wants to have it when I pass on. I would postpone this decision indefinitely, but I only have until the end of the month to make this choice, otherwise it is off the table.

I feel I have come a long way, evolved in being attached to things. Diamonds are a want not a need. I don't "need" a diamond ring. Financially things are fine, but I know from past experience how quickly that can change.
And I would be fine wearing the replacement ring now, and some time in future getting in a Goldworks setting which would be my ideal, plus the fun of daydreaming and saving up for that.

My husband has been kind about the whole thing. He is OK with us paying off the original ring in installments, and try to sell the WF ring, but if it doesn't sell, hold onto it. To me that seems wasteful but maybe that is the best course for now?

Any thoughts?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a terrible position to find yourself in but I must say, most people don't get to recover something they thought was lost. If you are emotionally attached to the original ring and feel that the stone is the most beautiful you've ever seen, don't part with it. If you can swing it, maybe you can make payments to the insurance company and keep both. The solitaire would make a beautiful pendant even though I know this was not your original plan.

Otherwise, maybe you can start making payments to the insurance company and try to consign the second ring with a company that has more exposure than what you can do on your own. If and when it sells, you could then pay off the balance.

I know this probably isn't much help to you at this stage of the game but I just feel that you were very fortunate to find the original ring. I hate to see you backed into a corner feeling like you must make a decision to part with it again.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw part gypsy, I can tell you are struggling with this one. I hear you on the want and need thing, I go back and forth with that too sometimes. On the other hand, life is short and I believe it's ok to enjoy a few special things during the course of our lifetimes. I just think it would be a darn shame to give up a ring you love so much a second time. Makes me sad to think about it. The ring is clearly very special to you. You have many years ahead of you to wear and enjoy it. I'm with MGR on this one, I think you should keep it. It's not creating a financial hardship for your family and your dh is fine with the current plan.

It can take a long time for a piece to sell, don't throw in the towel yet. It is a high quality and lovely ring. I know it stinks to lose money on something, but unfortunately that's usually the way when selling on the secondary market. You mentioned daughters - if you have two, these pieces would make wonderful family heirlooms to pass down if the ring doesn't sell.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband feels I should keep original ring, because if I gave it back I would regret it. However I feel guilty to keep it because of the cost. But you are right, just because not selling now, doesn't mean it may not later. Or figure out some use for it some later point.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Listen to your husband! :D

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your original ring is a stunner---please keep it.

The markup in jewelry is neck-rubbing, I'm sorry you're hitting you head on that. I took a hit myself last month.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results