shape
carat
color
clarity

Gypsy, tell us about The Jewelry Exchange

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In another thread you mentioned an experience …

??????

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have one in town but I've never visited the store. Should I?.. :bigsmile:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh jeez. It was several years ago. We have one close by. And I've seen their ads, so I was bored one day and out and just decided to browse. I figured it would just be mall quality. I was wrong. It was HORRIBLE. The stuff they are trying to pass off as decent quality diamonds is absurd. Most of it was still just cloudy carbon. The sales lady approached me and just out of curiousity I asked for pricing on some pieces. And the things that she was saying like "and these are high quality I clarity stones" were really getting me irritated, but I was curious so I told her flat out that I prefer higher end and higher quality pieces and that I wouldn't mind looking at their loose diamonds so she took me to another area and pulled out a few of loose stones. There was an oval ... it was under a carat around 80 points and actually was pretty. So I asked her for information. It was an International EGL G... I don't recall the clarity but it wasn't high, SI1 and eyeclean I think. But she pulled it out for me to look at while she checked on the pricing for me. It had tint, but I didn't find it unattractive and the performance was actually pretty decent, so I was actually interested. I'm pretty good with ball park diamond prices andI usually know what things are supposed to cost. So I remember thinking that it should have been around 1000-1300 at that time and I was seriously considering it. And she quoted me 4000 for it and I was just shocked! I mean just flat out floored. And I told her that I could easily get that stone for MUCH less, especially given the EGL certificate wasn't a very good one, and the stone was visibly tinted beyond what a G would be, and maybe she had the wrong diamond because that one wasn't worth a penny over 1500.

And she just started defending the stone how it was PERFECTLY WHITE and EGL was one of the best labs. And that their pricing was EXTREMELY competitive and WHOLESALE.

And I just about lost it.

There was nothing I could do. I bit my tongue and left.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
:knockout: :knockout: :knockout: :knockout: :knockout:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yup Andelain.

They are definitely one of the worst outfits I've seen. A few of the diamond vendors at the gem fairs are just as bad though. EGL is top of the line. Pricing is double what it should be. Or worse, no lab report but they have "in house standards that are just as strict or stricter than GIA." Uh huh. It's just sad.

I stopped going to these things because all I want to do is tell anyone shopping at these places to run and run fast.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gypsy|1398355327|3659172 said:
I stopped going to these things because all I want to do is tell anyone shopping at these places to run and run fast.
:lol:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Gypsy.
Yes it is very very sad that so many people have no clue they are getting ripped off overpaying for crap.

I rarely wander into B&M jewelry stores for this reason.

But, as many posters even here on PS say, "All that matters is you love it." Right? :roll:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Texas Leaguer|1398365505|3659276 said:

It's true. I've actually waited outside stores with post it notes and a pen, where I've written either Pricescope's web address or Joe Escobar's name and city or, as recently as a few weeks ago I went into a jeweler looking for earring backings and been horrified by what I've overheard, a post it note with a local jeweler I like and I sit there and wait till the people/couples come out and then I actually go up to them and give them the post it and tell them they are being misinformed and to go to Pricescope or the local jeweler, or Joe Escobar instead.

I get a lot of weird looks when I do this. But I can't help it. I hate seeing people getting ripped off.

It's actually REALLY hard for me to go into any B&M without ending up sitting outside and waiting with a post it note. I actually carry post it notes in my purse for exactly this reason.

:oops:

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gypsy|1398377493|3659395 said:
Texas Leaguer|1398365505|3659276 said:

It's true. I've actually waited outside stores with post it notes and a pen, where I've written either Pricescope's web address or Joe Escobar's name and city or, as recently as a few weeks ago I went into a jeweler looking for earring backings and been horrified by what I've overheard, a post it note with a local jeweler I like and I sit there and wait till the people/couples come out and then I actually go up to them and give them the post it and tell them they are being misinformed and to go to Pricescope or the local jeweler, or Joe Escobar instead.

I get a lot of weird looks when I do this. But I can't help it. I hate seeing people getting ripped off.

It's actually REALLY hard for me to go into any B&M without ending up sitting outside and waiting with a post it note. I actually carry post it notes in my purse for exactly this reason.

:oops:
OMG Gypsy! Take a breath. Ok, now slowly step away from the post it notes.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Texas Leaguer|1398377755|3659398 said:
OMG Gypsy! Take a breath. Ok, now slowly step away from the post it notes.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: And this is why I no longer can go to most BM's or Jewelry shows.

It's a problem.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy you crack me up.
I've thought of doing the same thing many times.

I thought I had huevos grandes. :lol:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1398378624|3659403 said:
Gypsy you crack me up.

I'm an odd duck. I fully admit it. :-o

girlguineapig

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy, that is awesome. I hope you managed to successfully educate some people this way. :) I just went to Joe Escobar on Saturday and ordered my ring there, so you've definitely influenced me!

You should tell more stories about other jewelers...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="Gypsy|1398377493|

[/quote]

So your the one who posted that note on my windshield?... :Up_to_something:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1398379635|3659410 said:
kenny|1398378624|3659403 said:
Gypsy you crack me up.

I'm an odd duck. I fully admit it. :-o

Yeah, like I said, you quack me up.

London

Shiny_Rock
Dancing Fire|1398381821|3659436 said:
[quote="Gypsy|1398377493|

So your the one who posted that note on my windshield?... :Up_to_something:[/quote]

That is flippin funny! I might start doing this too! We should start a post-it note flash mob! haha it would be like a physical yelp review :)

caldwa

Rough_Rock
girlguineapig|1398380906|3659428 said:
Gypsy, that is awesome. I hope you managed to successfully educate some people this way. :) I just went to Joe Escobar on Saturday and ordered my ring there, so you've definitely influenced me!

Awesome! You'll love it.

JerseyGrl81

Shiny_Rock
It is awful there! I remember when my husband and I were looking for an diamond when we were getting engaged. We looked there and they were trying to pass a stone off as being eye clean. I looked at it and pointed out where the inclusion was, they claimed I was seeing things. Sure enough they pulled out the certificate and it had an inclusion in that exact spot. The sale associate looked at my husband and said, "Good luck with that one (me)".

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
London|1398384610|3659454 said:
That is flippin funny! I might start doing this too! We should start a post-it note flash mob! haha it would be like a physical yelp review :)

Just pull up to the Jewelers Row or Jewelers Building (or the Jewelery Exchange) armed with a pile of pre-printed flyers with warnings and links to PS and start putting them on the windshield.

:devil: Hmmm....

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I hope so too!

What did you get at Joe E? I hope you'll post pictures!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread is even more fun than the recent Kay Jewelers one -- love the idea of a PS Post-It flash mob!

If I wanted to experience one of these places for myself, is this the Locations page I should be looking at (not sure if this is the same operation you all are talking about):
http://www.jewelryexchange.com/storemap.aspx

Jumpin_Jacks

Rough_Rock
There are some local tv ads, $500 or so for 1 ct solitares and 2 ct solitares starting at $2k, really?! I don't want to step into one fearing I'll go mad!! On the website main page, click on the 2 carat solitare for $2079 for "More Info" takes me to the main page again...lol!

facetgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1398392511|3659549 said:

I hope so too!

Well, you've all influenced me :)

My engagement diamond was from a local, what I'd call, strip mall chain - purchased years ago by my DH with the best of intentions. He was clearly influenced by his friends who were convinced that the only thing I would care about (the only thing any woman would care about actually) is the size. I wish someone like you was outside that store Gypsy. I tried to love that diamond, I really did - it wound up representing something almost negative to me, and I stopped wearing it.

I'm now considering my first purchase in many years and am looking to purchase a pair of studs . They will be small, but fabulous and my one dilemma is whether to go with WF, BGD or HPD. :appl:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
MollyMalone|1398393476|3659567 said:
This thread is even more fun than the recent Kay Jewelers one -- love the idea of a PS Post-It flash mob!

If I wanted to experience one of these places for myself, is this the Locations page I should be looking at (not sure if this is the same operation you all are talking about):

That's it!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
facetgirl|1398395508|3659598 said:
Gypsy|1398392511|3659549 said:

I hope so too!

Well, you've all influenced me :)

My engagement diamond was from a local, what I'd call, strip mall chain - purchased years ago by my DH with the best of intentions. He was clearly influenced by his friends who were convinced that the only thing I would care about (the only thing any woman would care about actually) is the size. I wish someone like you was outside that store Gypsy. I tried to love that diamond, I really did - it wound up representing something almost negative to me, and I stopped wearing it.

I'm now considering my first purchase in many years and am looking to purchase a pair of studs . They will be small, but fabulous and my one dilemma is whether to go with WF, BGD or HPD. :appl:

I hope you find something that makes you smile every time you put it on!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1398396498|3659614 said:
MollyMalone|1398393476|3659567 said:

That's it!
Thanks -- I'm thinking I'll tell my son that's where I want to go for this year's Mother's Day outing :naughty: (altho' it will be tough to top our visit to the Times Square Church of Scientology!)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
@ Molly: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results