shape
carat
color
clarity

Guidance buying diamond studs...

milkcat

Rough_Rock
hi! I’ve never bought diamonds on my own as I’m quite young but I’m thinking about buying some diamond stud earrings soon and I wanted some more insight into buying them. I’ve done some research on the four C’s but I have no idea how they apply to diamond studs. I’ve been to a couple of jewelers and they suggested I get at least F/VVS1 but I don’t know if this is important for studs? None of them mentioned any other descriptions.

I have a budget of about $12,000 and would like around 6mm on each ear, as I have naturally big ear lobes. Is it possible for me to find a pair for this price? I’d like to buy online but I’m not sure what I’m looking at even if they have photos.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Color and clarity on your ears are less important. F/VVS1 is very much overkill on your ears. My studs are K SI set in yellow gold and they look quite white. When you were in the jewelry store, did you compare different colors against each other? Did you hold them up to your ears? You will probably find that even if you are color conscious, you will be fine with I color on your ears. Frankly I would not trust a jeweler who gave me that advice.

The thing that matters is CUT. You could have a pair of F/VVS1 stones that are terribly cut that will look much worse than a pair of I VS2 stones that are ideally cut.

With your budget you will likely be choosing between 0.80 carats at a higher color and clarity combo and 1.00 carats with lower color and clarity (I-J, VS2-SI1). That's because not as many stones are cut in 0.90 carat range. The cutters know that a one carat diamond, even a poorly cut one, will sell for a premium to people who aren't educated about cut.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Screen Shot 2018-10-13 at 8.51.42 AM.png Here's a pair of poorly cut F/VVS2.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
And here's a pair of ideal cut H VS2.

Screen Shot 2018-10-13 at 8.57.31 AM.png

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm a very small person with huge earlobes. $12k is a terrific budget. Though I agree that vvs1 is total overkill, I am quite color sensitive and always buy d/e/f ideal or super ideal. I can easily see the difference. You need to determine how color sensitive you are, and that will tell you how you proceed. A "safe place" for most people is g/h vs2/si1. You should be able to get 1.8 plus total weight for you budget....which is around 6.2mm.

Great project.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I actually went looking at earrings yesterday since I’m getting some inherited engagement rings turned into earrings lol

The store had mostly I/J color stids that all faced up white but I started to see color with a K. I really think the sweet spot nicely cut diamonds is an I color, this will gave up very white for you and I would even look in the Si1 range for clarity

These are very nice in a safe color grade, just under budget

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-di...etails.aspx?Diamond1=3964565&Diamond2=3986321

Personally I would want to get max carat weight at an I color, these are just over the budget. There want much to choose from at the moment.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-di...etails.aspx?Diamond1=4039666&Diamond2=3932396

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results