shape
carat
color
clarity

Grout Cleaning?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
Has anyone ever had to clean the grout on tile floors before? (more than just mopping, but really scrubbing). I just had part of my bathroom regrouted, and now I want to seal the tile, but I want to give it a VERY good cleaning before hand. What can I use for the grout specifically. I have heard vinegar works. Anyone have any experiences with it?

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Not very environmentally friendly I guess, but a toothbrush dipped in domestic bleach will get it sparkling white. So I''ve heard, anyway!
2.gif

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks! That sounds easy--except my grout isn''t white, so I''m not sure if that would be okay for it. I know there''s grout cleaner acid available, but most reviews that I''ve read of it suggest that it would be better to have professionals come clean it with the acid than to DIY because it isn''t particularly nice to work with (unsafe, etc).

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would go to a tile store and ask.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Just did this days ago..with a steamer! YUP, my tile guy (installing tiles in my kitchen for the backsplash) came over with a brand new steamer (from Wal-mart for $30 he said). He showed me on the dirty grout, how quickly it made it white again. AMAZING...who knew, no chemicals, just the steam from the steamer at full force, and a little brush attachment on the end. I was so impressed he said "glad you are enjoying this, here, this is my B-day gift to you!). Never had a man buy me a steamer for my B-day before, BUT I must admit it I do love it, since it does a fabulous job at cleaning it to look brand new again, and no scrubbing really!!

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2008 11:37:43 PM
Author: LaraOnline
Not very environmentally friendly I guess, but a toothbrush dipped in domestic bleach will get it sparkling white. So I''ve heard, anyway!
2.gif
Is the grout white? If not, wouldn''t try the bleach. My home is very modern, with browns, taupes, sand colors, with grout being a sand color (beige tone) and my tile guy said DO NOT use bleach on the grout!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Baking soda!

Sprinkle it on dampened grout lines. Scrub with a toothbrush.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/21/2008 9:27:36 PM
Author: beau13
Just did this days ago..with a steamer! YUP, my tile guy (installing tiles in my kitchen for the backsplash) came over with a brand new steamer (from Wal-mart for $30 he said). He showed me on the dirty grout, how quickly it made it white again. AMAZING...who knew, no chemicals, just the steam from the steamer at full force, and a little brush attachment on the end. I was so impressed he said ''glad you are enjoying this, here, this is my B-day gift to you!). Never had a man buy me a steamer for my B-day before, BUT I must admit it I do love it, since it does a fabulous job at cleaning it to look brand new again, and no scrubbing really!!

What is the brand name or description of this steamer? Sounds like an interesting little gadget!

justme1

Shiny_Rock
I''ve used vinegar to remove the excess grout that remains on the tiles. That works great.

Regarding the steamers... they are a great tool - just be careful if you decide to go with a more expensive industrial-ish model. Some are too powerful/hot & it actually "melts" the grout. Not fun... trust me I know
40.gif

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! Thanks everyone! These are great tips.
My grout is actually a darkish sandy color called "haystack" so bleach is a no-go.
I actually have a steamer that I use for clothes. I wonder if that will produce the right amount of steam for it? What sort of steamer exactly was it? That sounds right up my ally (AKA super simple). I think I may also try the baking soda.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results