shape
carat
color
clarity

Grey Spinel pics

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
I got this from Dana last week. It is an interesting stone...mostly grey with a little color shift into a purply gray in the right lighting. It has a lot of saturation, but still has some brilliance. It occasionally looks blackish in the camera, but to my eye there is still light return...it's a moody stone indeed. I haven't louped it yet...got it stashed away and took photos soon after I opened the box.

These photos are slightly color corrected, sorry if that bothers you, but the lighting where I take my photos is all overhead fluorescents so most things take on a sickly color. I just popped an aquarium daylight bulb into one task light so maybe I'll have better photos as a result.

Here is an overall shot of the stone on the hand. My e-ring is a color-change sapphire that shows its purple indoors, more blue outdoors. You can see a hint of the purple shift in this picture.

This one is taken with that daylight bulb turned on...more grey.

A little smudged, but very grey and the facets are a bit different I think.

Grey Spinel  1371.jpg

Grey Spinel  1372.jpg

Grey Spinel  1373.jpg

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
In the hand with a bit of a tilt window.

And hey look, I got a manicure this weekend...(already getting a little worn around the edges, lol)

I see this brilliance for the most part. Very hard to catch it.

Grey Spinel  1374.jpg

Grey Spinel  1376.jpg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its looks very nice! Whats your plans for it?

-A

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know Arcadian...I am kind of wondering if I put it with a couple of brightly colored stones if it would stand out or blend in as a shadow. I need a sunny day and time to take it out with some choices to see what looks OK. It isn't as brilliant as many other stones, so something too blingy might make it look too dark. I don't think it wants a halo. Thinking maybe some pink or lavender spinel.

Any ideas? I am taking it to my goldsmith tomorrow to see if he has any inspiration. I've even considered setting it as a hat or tie pin for hubby. He has a winter felt hat in black and it might look cool with that.

Laura

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
blackened silver, maybe with a small black pearl

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Grey diamond in rose gold for an idea.

2494_di_image_769a6.jpg

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting thought VL...all black theme...or something as a dangle below the stone. Got some new ideas bubbling. Thanks!

TL, thanks...I kind of like the pink and grey together. Wonder if I could find pink cabs. I might have to go with something really saturated though to hold the color. I'll pull out some stones tomorrow and see what they look like with it.

chloeishere

Shiny_Rock
Very pretty! I like the color, and the purple tint.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
It reminds me of the Darth Vader spinel! Me likey!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very nice stone. Boy, do I like your CC sapphire!

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
crasru|1297231064|2847395 said:
Very nice stone. Boy, do I like your CC sapphire!

Ya, I was gonna say....
Your grey Spinel is cool looking, so I do like the idea of blackened silver....
I think it would add, and not detract, from the color of the stone.
Does your husband wear tie tac's ?
I wouldn't put it on a man-hat, reminds me of a fishing lure that way... :lol:

Oh, and I LOVE your mani !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
What an interesting stone, has its own individual personality. I love TL's photo w/rose gold & diamonds -- maybe even white sapphires would look good, being less blingy. It's a stone like a shy person or a good wine that seems like it will give you increasing rewards over time. Would love to see pics in different light.

Your e-ring is gorgeous too, btw!

--- Laurie

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, Chloeishere, FrekeChild, Crasru, and JewelFreak,

The e-ring was my first project here--a 21yr wedding anniversary gift from my dear hubby. The stone is from Jeff White and I love it a lot.

I had to laugh at the Darth Vader Spinel comment...is there another one out there that I don't know about? The facets are kind of chunky and it does have a dark and stormy personality. Now I'll hear the Star Wars theme when I look at it. :D I like Star Wars, so that is great.

We'll see if Hubby gets it...I have a marlin pin in blackened silver in the project works :Up_to_something: Yes, hubby does fish, but does not wear jewelry so a hat pin is actually likely to be worn and receive comments. Probably not going to happen though.

I'll take some photos of Vader with some other stones and see what might look good. I don't have a pearl handy...but my goldsmith probably does, so maybe he'll let me borrow one for a photo to see what that might look like. I have some steely blue/green montana sapphires that might do but I don't know if there is a pair close enough in color to use them. We'll see!

Last...on the mani, trying a new gel-product to see if it can bear all my computer work. Usually the color is worn off the nail tips in a couple of days of typing, so far this is doing better than other products I have tried.

Laura

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Largosmom|1297256842|2847499 said:
Thank you, Chloeishere, FrekeChild, Crasru, and JewelFreak,

Last...on the mani, trying a new gel-product to see if it can bear all my computer work. Usually the color is worn off the nail tips in a couple of days of typing, so far this is doing better than other products I have tried.

Laura

I use Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat all the time, but I agree about the chips...
I don't type much, so I don't know how I get them
What product is your gel and do you like it? :))

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
The product on the manicure is called Gelish...it's apparently available in a few nail polish colors as well as the pink and white.

On a wonderful note...the opal ring is almost done and it looks awesome! I need to find my card reader so that I can pull pictures off my camera. My goldsmith has a bit of smoothing on the underside of the ring to do, and to set the stone and it will be done, hopefully tomorrow! Hope we get some sunshine so that I can get outdoor pictures. (can you tell I am excited?)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is the Darth Vader!

It is almost black.

Darth Vader Spinel.jpg

Spinel collage black.jpg

Spinels 3.jpg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think if you were to put it in rose gold, you'd have to go with nice clean lines. setting it with small pale pink sapphires might work fine too.

I think there's a lot of possibilities. except the hat pin idea..lol :tongue:

-A

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Oooh, I really like your Darth Vader spinel...I think yours is a tad more saturated than mine and I love that cut. Guess mine will have to be V Jr. ;-)

I am still playing off of VapidLapid's idea at the moment...something as a dangle. Maybe a briolette if I cannot find a pearl? I think it needs prongs for the light to enter. I'm going to play with the pearls and settings at the jewelry store tomorrow to see how it looks. I like the idea also of a pink stone with it...not so much the rose gold, though i'm not in a hurry on this one so if I think on it some it may grow on me. :D

Laura

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lol! Darth Jr. I like it!

I may or may not have another gray spinel on it's way to me (I sent a link to my husband and then a week later the stone was sold, but it'd be for my birthday--in April!) but I won't know for quite a while...

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
I will keep my fingers crossed for you. Played with some stones at the jeweler's yesterday...they have some pink tourmaline trillions which look good with Jr., but they are too large, so the proportions are not right. I do want to make something with this stone. I don't think I'll start a collection of them like you have, but I'm enjoying this one. :))

Laura

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
FrekeChild|1297524850|2849948 said:
Lol! Darth Jr. I like it!

I may or may not have another gray spinel on it's way to me (I sent a link to my husband and then a week later the stone was sold, but it'd be for my birthday--in April!) but I won't know for quite a while...

It can be Darth Kid, like the Super Bowl commercial!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results