shape
carat
color
clarity

Grey/Gray Spinel in Australia

Greylove

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I am located in Australia and looking to purchase a grey/gray spinel for an engagement ring. Hoping there may be some Aussies on PS that can point me in the right direction? Ideally would love something in an oval shape that is larger then 2cts.

I realise finding a stone that doesn't reflect too much pink/blue/purple is difficult but I am looking for something that is light grey/silver in colour. Any suggestions would be fantastic! Must be eye clean.

Rothschild55

Rough_Rock
Hi,
Try contacting Doug Menadue - not sure if that is the correct spelling;-) Bespoke Gems in Sydney. He is on the recommended list. I have been speaking with him, really nice guy-he cuts some beautiful gemstones. Look for the topic: bespoke Gems/blue topaz in Colored Stones. He cut a top color natural blue topaz mother stone up for approximately 8 stones - Asscher and oval cuts. He might be able to source some grey spineless or point you in the right direction. I'm sure that others will chime in with recommendations

Hope that helps.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi GreyLove! :wavey: The other posters are correct - Doug from Bespoke Gems is a good start. Finding a grey spinel shouldn't be too hard - do you specifically need to source it from Oz? I find it hard to get local stones so I often buy from online - look at the trusted list of vendors at the top of the Coloured Stones forum here on PS for some excellent suggestions. Just ask for detailed descriptions and plenty of pics with a return policy. I've had no probs getting precision cut stuff from the US. Definitely worth a browse on Etsy too.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Prima Gems has an elongated grey cushion available at 6.5*8 or something. It's 1.75. They describe it as silver

Email them! :) I'm not sure how it would go shopping to au though.

Greylove

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Thank you so much for your help!

I don't have to source it from Australia but thought I would look into local options first. Just in love with this exciting gem!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Greylove|1438576051|3910369 said:
Hi all,

I don't have to source it from Australia but thought I would look into local options first. Just in love with this exciting gem!

Did you try prima? I feel like the grey they have would be up your ally. Either way, can't wait to see what you find.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I second Jeff Davies - he's the guy I always think of for grey spinel, plus he's considerably closer to you than any place in the U.S. :))

Greylove

Rough_Rock
Niel|1438602208|3910425 said:
Greylove|1438576051|3910369 said:
Hi all,

Did you try prima? I feel like the grey they have would be up your ally. Either way, can't wait to see what you find.

I did email Prima, hopefully I will hear back from them soon, thank you for the suggestion.

I am pretty determined to find the perfect grey spinel but realize I may have to settle for some secondary colour.

Greylove

Rough_Rock
minousbijoux|1438621500|3910510 said:
I second Jeff Davies - he's the guy I always think of for grey spinel, plus he's considerably closer to you than any place in the U.S. :))

Hi Minousbijoux!

I emailed Jeff but he didn't have anything at this time. I am in no urgent rush, happy to wait for the perfect stone the make a rushed decision. Fingers crossed!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Julian posted this on her instagram. My screen captures are nothing compared to the vid. Email her see if she still has it. You can Google juliab etsy its not too hard to find.

img_20150804_203043.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1438734814|3911219 said:
Julian posted this on her instagram. My screen captures are nothing compared to the vid. Email her see if she still has it. You can Google juliab etsy its not too hard to find.

Looks promising!!

Greylove

Rough_Rock
Does anyone have any suggestions on where I could have my stone commission cut? Have just found a picture of a grey spinel in octagon step cut...oh my gosh! I think I love it more than oval shape now!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Greylove|1438926310|3912074 said:
Does anyone have any suggestions on where I could have my stone commission cut? Have just found a picture of a grey spinel in octagon step cut...oh my gosh! I think I love it more than oval shape now!

- You may contact Doug Menadue from Bespoke Gems in Australia. Not sure whether he has grey spinel rough though.

- Jeff Davies also does commissioned work I believe.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results