shape
carat
color
clarity

Grey gold?

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've just purchased a vintage bracelet online from a well known uk antique/vintage dealer. On the listing the bracelet was described as 18ct white gold but it looks very grey to me especially next to another 18ct white gold bracelet I have. It's also heavier that I would have expected. I'm wondering if it is some other metal and not gold at all. Titanium or palladium perhaps?
I will take it to my local jeweller and see what they think but I'm wondering if some alloys do go grey? Anyone have that experience?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Got a picture?

We can't accurately confirm either way from it but it helps future reference :)

Gold can be a variety of different mixes!

Q

Queenie60

Maybe it's platinum and not white gold?

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oops just realised I put this in smtb perhaps mods can move.
@OoohShiny Yeah I know photos would help I thought that as I was typing but I'm out just now but I will take a photo of it later next to some white gold and platinum. It's greyer though and dull.
@Queenie60 The thought crossed my mind but surely she would have tested it as it honestly does not look like gold more like silver.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@OoohShiny just read that one earlier! I think if it is white gold it must be palladium mix or failing that it is some other metal entirely. No obvious marks.
In the photos the wide Euro shank ring is 18k white gold, the thin one with beads platinum both light wear. The other bracelet is 18k white gold, much shinier, lighter and less grey.
IMG_4026.JPG
IMG_4032.JPG

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting - I can see why you are asking!

To ask a (paranoid) question - is it magnetic?

Some stainless steel and other ferrous materials are magnetic, so if it's not, that is at least a positive sign that it might well be precious metal, as I don't believe any of the precious metals (in their usual alloy mixes) are magnetic.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-dont-magnets-work-on/

Could it be silver? (the metal, not the colour, obviously... :lol: ) That's quite soft, though, so I would have though unsuited to a bracelet of that shape??

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@OoohShiny the thought had occurred but I don't think it's silver it doesn't look right for that either and it's not tarnished. If I google metal ring images it looks more like titanium/tungsten/palladium also,the stones are faceted, there's variance in the tables so it seems really unlikely that someone would plonk those in a bracelet made of stainless steel?! I think they would look a lot more synthetic! As a side note the dealer has been around at least 20 years so it does seem so unlikely that they would get it that wrong.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
When I saw this post, I immediately thought of an art deco era 18k white gold ring I have that is very grey. When I first saw the ring, I wondered too if it had a patina. Could it be an 18kwg alloy from the past? Shown next to modern 14kwg/palladium for color reference. 20180701_085942.jpg

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@CHRISTY-DANIELLE The color doesn't look dissimilar, It's certainly a possibility. Thanks for the pic. It's allegedly a spinel tennis bracelet but it's very plain - no engraving which made me think it's more modern and it's also really heavy compared to my diamond tennis bracelet of a similar size.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@OoohShiny @Queenie60 @CHRISTY-DANIELLE
Thanks for responding to this thread!
An update; I have taken the bracelet into a jewelers today they tested it and confirmed it is 18ct gold (and also concurred on the stones being spinels nothing to do with my post but a relief nonetheless!)
They didn't seem overly surprised by the color of the metal and are going to rhodium plate it for me so that it matches my tennis bracelet. I would guess for the condition (loved rather than pristine) that it is been well worn and the plate wore off a long time ago!
I will put it up on one of the bracelet threads when I get it back!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@OoohShiny @Queenie60 @CHRISTY-DANIELLE
Thanks for responding to this thread!
An update; I have taken the bracelet into a jewelers today they tested it and confirmed it is 18ct gold (and also concurred on the stones being spinels nothing to do with my post but a relief nonetheless!)
They didn't seem overly surprised by the color of the metal and are going to rhodium plate it for me so that it matches my tennis bracelet. I would guess for the condition (loved rather than pristine) that it is been well worn and the plate wore off a long time ago!
I will put it up on one of the bracelet threads when I get it back!
Great result!! :))

I'm pleased it's a good'un :)

We will look forward to pics when it's plated!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Back in the day they didn't rhodium plate white gold. I think the alloys were different and they weren't as "whellow" as today.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@ringo865 that's interesting regarding alloys. I think I had assumed it was a modern bracelet (as in 80s-00s) because the setting is plain whereas the deco ones are often engraved but on reflection I think it might be a lot older. There was a sapphire bracelet on 1stdibs which was dated to 1930s and the mounting was identical even down the catch which is super fiddly and the more I have looked the more I have found that are fairly simple being sold as 1920s/30s.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results