shape
carat
color
clarity

Green Tourmaline-Penny for your Thoughts?

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Looking for a nice green tourmaline.

I must say I :love: LOVE :love: the greens of both Athena's and Faegrace's tourmaline's..i mean W :love: W!, just gorgeous!!!!

Im looking for a slightly lighter green but not too light.

I was wondering about either of the two of these:

I like both of them, but I'd need some insight, guidance and direction...please.

tourma1b.jpg

ace-tourm.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you looking for a pure, saturated green green like Faegrace? If you are, I would suggest that these might disappoint you; they both seem to have olive/brown tones in them...its funny because for a second I thought the second stone, because of its color, was a demantoid! I would think it would be really easy for you to find a green green tourm if that's what you want.

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
ZestfullyBling ~

Hello there! Mine is a chrome tourmaline from Barry. It obviously doesn't have the dichoric color that some of his other tourms do, but it is green like Ireland is green. :) What green are you on the hunt for?

~ faegrace

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1304264780|2909148 said:
Are you looking for a pure, saturated green green like Faegrace? If you are, I would suggest that these might disappoint you; they both seem to have olive/brown tones in them...its funny because for a second I thought the second stone, because of its color, was a demantoid! I would think it would be really easy for you to find a green green tourm if that's what you want.

Yes, I agree. These are more "military green" to me. Facegrace's is more saturated green.

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousb, faegrace, TL -Im drawn to color of both of these, so I guess Im leaning more towards a medium military green and not a saturated green. These gems seem to be a lighter green.

On the gem discriptions, both of the vendors describe as a "bright" gem. For color description says:
1st one says "med/med dark seafoam yellowish green"
2nd one says "fine green and clear to slight yellow"

What do vendors mean when the say "bright" do they mean lighter color saturation?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ZestfullyBling|1304267680|2909177 said:
minousb, faegrace, TL -Im drawn to color of both of these, so I guess Im leaning more towards a medium military green and not a saturated green. These gems seem to be a lighter green.

On the gem discriptions, both of the vendors describe as a "bright" gem. For color description says:
1st one says "med/med dark seafoam yellowish green"
2nd one says "fine green and clear to slight yellow"

What do vendors mean when the say "bright" do they mean lighter color saturation?

You know, I don't think there are too many fans of "military green" on PS, so when you ask for thoughts, I think in this case, it will be, 'buy it because YOU like it." :)) They appear to both be nicely cut, so you can't go wrong there. Therefore, if you like the color, than go for it, but do so knowing that those colors shouldn't be highly priced. I would go for the one that is the lower price per carat, as they both seem to be almost identical in color, IF the photos are accurate.

I think the term "bright" means different things to different lapidaries/vendors. I prefer when they speak about tone and saturation, but my guess is that it has no closed axis, and little extinction. I hope that helps.

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Hmmm.., Barry's pictured green tourm sold. ZB, did you hit the button?

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks TL- I love picking your brain. :) Your comments all always honest, meaningful and from the heart. Thank you.

Faegrace- Busted!!! :lol: Yes, i did. I couldn't help it. Barry said if I don't like it he'd pay for return shipping. So im going to check it out IRL.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I hope you love it! It's not going to be the same green as a chrome tourmaline, but you might fall in love with it. We'd love to see pics in real life!

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
I thought so. :cheeky:

Barry is so good that way; I am glad to hear it. Let us know if it's truly irresistable in-hand.

~ faegrace

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Barry really is an awesome dude! I can't wait to see your pictures!

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
TL|1304274200|2909264 said:
I think the term "bright" means different things to different lapidaries/vendors. I prefer when they speak about tone and saturation, but my guess is that it has no closed axis, and little extinction. I hope that helps.

Just for general reference:

When a stone is described as "bright" it's a reference to its light performance: brilliance and scintillation. Brilliance is a stone's ability to reflect light back to the eye while in a stationary position; the higher the refractive index, the greater the brilliance in a well-cut stone. Scintillation refers to the "disco ball" glints of light seen as the stone moves. Usually the greater the number of facets, the greater the scintillation.

Tone, saturation and hue are all color descriptions. Hue refers to a stone's position on the color wheel; saturation describes the intensity and purity of the hue; tone refers to its relative lightness or darkness. These are all basic terms and their use should be uniform.

Richard M. (Rick Martin)

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
jstar, fae, athena
He'll email me the tracking no. Monday. Im surely looking forward to the gem in hand. :bigsmile: I will keep you posted!!

Rick
Thanks for the explaination. Since bright translates to "brilliant", im even more excited!! :D :cheeky:
Thanks again!

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
jstarfireb|1304276665|2909298 said:
I hope you love it! It's not going to be the same green as a chrome tourmaline, but you might fall in love with it. We'd love to see pics in real life!

I favored the cushion. The gem is green with slight yellow as described. I tried and tried to capture the dispersion in the photos with no success. The color IRL is slightly different than the photos display. IRL this gem reflects lights of green flash in sunlight, moonlight, dim light, no light, or whatever light that hits it! Its really beautiful to see.

Thanks for looking!

grntour33.jpg

grntour20.jpg

grntour3.jpg

tourmalinecoll.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I thought the cushion looked the prettier of the two and it does look more like what you are after.

Chrome tourmalines (which, btw, don't actually contain chromium) although a great green would be too dark for your needs.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results