shape
carat
color
clarity

Greek Salad Dressing recommendations???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Hi there, I LOVE
30.gif
a fresh Greek salad. And whenever I order them at local Greek restaurants they have the best Greek dressing. I''ve tried a couple of bottled Greek dressings from my local grocery store here in Massachusetts but they all are gross. I mean really gross. I tried the Newman''s Own one and it had a putrid smell. Is there anyone out there who buys a bottled Greek dressing and LOVES it? And if so, can you please let me know which one you use??? Thanks!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/5/2010 1:39:27 PM
Author:lizzyann01
Hi there, I LOVE
30.gif
a fresh Greek salad. And whenever I order them at local Greek restaurants they have the best Greek dressing. I''ve tried a couple of bottled Greek dressings from my local grocery store here in Massachusetts but they all are gross. I mean really gross. I tried the Newman''s Own one and it had a putrid smell. Is there anyone out there who buys a bottled Greek dressing and LOVES it? And if so, can you please let me know which one you use??? Thanks!!!
Have you tried equal parts of olive oil and white salad vinegar? That makes a pretty authentic Greek salad dressing.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Hi Lorelei, no I haven''t tried that! Thanks for responding. I noticed that the ones that my Greek restaurants use have a creamy vinegrette texture if that makes sense. Kind of like a very light brown/dark cream color? I wonder what is in there??? Maybe I should ask, I don''t know if they''d share or not. I''d love to find something bottled for simplicity''s sake. In my grocery store, near the produce section, they have refrigerated dressings and I am wondering if I should try those, maybe they will be a closer taste to the ones at the restaurant.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My Husband loves Greek salads and when we have visited there they used the oil and vinegar mix, but it could maybe have regional variations.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
A lot of restaurants/pizza shops use the Ken''s Steakhouse brand of dressing, which you can buy in the store. Have you tried that?

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
No, I haven''t tried that one Hudson. Good idea though!! I know the one Greek restaurant near me keeps theirs refrigerated but I am sure theirs is homemade. Now I''m getting hungry. I swear I could eat a Greek salad everyday if I find the right dressing. And you can''t go wrong with Feta!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/5/2010 2:36:13 PM
Author: lizzyann01
No, I haven''t tried that one Hudson. Good idea though!! I know the one Greek restaurant near me keeps theirs refrigerated but I am sure theirs is homemade. Now I''m getting hungry. I swear I could eat a Greek salad everyday if I find the right dressing. And you can''t go wrong with Feta!!!
Maybe you could ask them what they use? No harm in asking!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lizzyann01 - I know exactly what you mean! We have Greek Salads for dinner, often. I have given up on bottled dressings, so I typically use olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt, pepper, garlic powder, a bit of oregano and toss. It is not nearly the same as the dressing you are referring to, but I have a weird thing about making my own dressing at home after reading countless bottle labels. It is weird because I will eat salads with the bottled dressing on it when I am out.

But, I digress. Have you ever had the Greek salad at Panera? That''s the type of dressing you are referring to, right? They sell it there, or at least they did a few years ago.

Another yummy addition to a Greek salad is a pita, with a bit olive oil, feta, little oregano and garlic, popped in the over until it gets toasty. Sooooooo good.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/5/2010 2:41:37 PM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 4/5/2010 2:36:13 PM
Author: lizzyann01
Maybe you could ask them what they use? No harm in asking!
Or, they might sell it to you in a container! I once bought a creamy green onion dressing from a restaurant this way. I like salads!
1.gif

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Loves Vintage, I LOVE the Panera greek salad! i didn''t know that they sell their dressing. I will have to check my local one next time I am there to see if they have it. I think I am going to buy some from my Greek restaurant too if they will sell it to me. Good idea!!!!

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
lorelei, I am going to ask my Greek restaurant next time what they use. You are right. it doesn''t hurt. I am going to laugh so hard if it is not homemade as that is what I have thought all along!!!!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
From google, the Panera greek salad dressing recipe

ngredients

1/2 Cup red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons garlic, minced
2 teaspoons shallot, minced
2 teaspoons fresh oregano, finely chopped
2 teaspoons fresh basil, chiffonade
1 teaspoon Dijon or whole-grain mustard
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1-1/2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
Directions

Combine all ingredients except oil in a medium mixing bowl with a wire whisk. Once ingredients are combined, slowly pour in the olive oil while whisking to form an emulsion. Makes 2 Cups

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Hudson!!!! Dijon mustard interesting...that must be the secret to give it that creamy texture and color!!!! Definitely gonna try it! yummo

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dijon is commonly used in vinaigrettes because it helps it emulsify and come together. If you get a mild one it won''t impart too strong a mustard flavor on the dressing.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results