shape
carat
color
clarity

great cut for Princess - how important are the #''s?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

snowgie17

Rough_Rock
(Aiiiggghh!) - That''s the sound of me with a headache from trying to figure out the best way to decide the best cut for my girlfriends Princess engagement ring.
First, I thought as long as the "the numbers" were ok, i.e. table between 65-70%, depth between 65-70%, crown height 10-15%, I''d be OK.
Then, in my readings on PriceScope, I learned about how the numbers might not be that important after all...
And then I realize that GIA doesn''t grade cut, only AGS does....

So I know this topic has been beaten to death but I just wanted to hear some fresh voices. Have people been happy buying Princess stones without the AGS grade, and going with a GIA or other cert? If I purchase through a site that doesn''t use AGS for grading cut, what questions should I ask to determine the brilliance and cut quality of the stone?

thanks!!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2006 12:19:14 PM
Author:snowgie17
If I purchase through a site that doesn''t use AGS for grading cut, what questions should I ask to determine the brilliance and cut quality of the stone?

thanks!!
Good sort of question, but change it, maybe, to ask...am I dealing with a dealer who sells both AGS & GIA, knows both, could sell both, and has GIA they like.

Excel/Superb Cert & G0G, maybe WF come quickly to mind. Also, I like the way ASET''s view them.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/9/2006 12:43:54 PM
Author: Regular Guy

Date: 12/9/2006 12:19:14 PM
Author:snowgie17
If I purchase through a site that doesn''t use AGS for grading cut, what questions should I ask to determine the brilliance and cut quality of the stone?

thanks!!
Good sort of question, but change it, maybe, to ask...am I dealing with a dealer who sells both AGS & GIA, knows both, could sell both, and has GIA they like.

Excel/Superb Cert & G0G, maybe WF come quickly to mind. Also, I like the way ASET''s view them.
Ira gives you good advice, you really need to see at least an idealscope of the stones you are considering, and better yet an ASET picture. These devices will tell you mountains, without the headache from crunching numbers...

Wink

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results