shape
carat
color
clarity

Grand Canyon experts?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Hello all... busy here, sorry haven''t posted in ages. I was hoping maybe to get some info from the pros of the area...

I have never seen the Grand Canyon. As a matter of fact I have seen less "sights" of the US than I care to admit.
emembarrassed.gif

I will be in Vegas in June for business, and figured I would take a drive out to the Grand Canyon, but literally have nothing to go on. Anyone have ideas?

I was told El Tovar Hotel was nice, but it seems booked from the 1st of June until kingdom come. I am driving from Vegas with a good friend, and that''s part of the fun for us, but a nice hotel or something would be really great.

So in desperation I booked a room at Yavapai Lodge from the same company, but it looks like a seedy motel. Anyone have any suggestions? This is all very new to me. Also, where can I go to rent a helicopter or get an aerial tour? Perhaps maybe rafting as well?

I suppose I better book quickly then!
32.gif

Thanks in advance for the help!
35.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nicrez, good to see you; sounds like a wonderful trip. You can stay outside the park in Williams; things aren't fancy out there. We stay in Flagstaff at the Comfort Inn (it is very clean); the Grand Canyon is beautiful! You can hike or ride a mule down; you have to book the mule ahead of time. I usually just hike but I have friends who camp and do river rafting. I like to check out tripadvisor before planning a trip; I have not stayed in the park. You could also stay in Sedona but that is an even longer drive. I think Katebar did a helicopter ride from Las Vegas and those are popular to do. If I recall correctly the drive from Las Vegas to Flagstaff is about 3 hours and about 45 mins from Flagstaff to the Grand Canyon. This might be a helpful link http://www.thecanyon.com/category.php/swmc/whattodo and you probably have this link too http://www.nps.gov/grca/

LuvPugs

Rough_Rock
I took a helicopter trip last September to the Grand Canyon. We flew from the Grand Canyon Airport and took an hour ride. It was great excpet all of the headsets of the passengers (7 inlcuding pilot) were on the same frequency so it was hard to have a conversation with the person I was with. We got to fly over to the North Rim of the canyon, which is about a mile higher in altitude I think. We saw all the different ridges and inlets, as well as learned a lot about the history. We even got to fly deep into the canyon and see the Colorado River.

Another trip I took to the Grand Canyon was with my family and we stayed at the Grand Canyon Hotel in Williams and took the train to the Grand Canyon. It was a neat experience, but a little pricey!

When you get there, they give a map to follow that shows all of the hiking trails and different lookouts. Basically one LONG path go along the rim with lots of places to stop and take pictures and look out. They have a few visitors centers or buildings you can stop in to check out different facts and the history of the Grand Canyon. It''s like $25 to get into the park and they do have a shuttle that picks up at different spots all over the park.

I definitely recommend seeing it at least once. It''s such an amazing place, really unbelieveable in person.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
I''ve come to give you a little hope... granted it was 19 years ago (wow... really?) but my father was able to get us a room at El Tovar by calling every single day for a week to find out about cancellations. He made friends with the booking desk and they told him when they would have information and when he should call, and we got a room there in the middle of the summer when NOBODY can get a room. So ask them about cancellations, and if you can be a little flexible, it''s worth it. I still remember how special it was.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for your very helpful responses! I really appreciate it!

35.gif
Hey there Skippy! Thanks those are great sites, and when I have a spare moment I will delve into them!

LuvPugs, everyone told me it''s something you need to see once, and as I am not into wildnerness and nature, I have seen all types of terrain, save this one. I think it''s really going to be an amazing photographing opportunity, so the good camera is definately making the trip with us!

Sumbride, thanks for the ray of hope. I was told by many that El Tovar was the only spot to stay so of course I was fretting when the reservations woman was literally laughing at the request. I will be persistant and try try try! Thanks!!!
31.gif
9.gif

This is as different a trip as I have ever taken, so I didn''t even know where to start. I think the whole ruggedness and roadtrip idea was what I was looking forward to. So mid-summer what things should I consider? Clothing? Food places? rest stops? Activities? Suggestions? Not one for crowds, so something unique, besides the super crowded South Rim?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Nic, good to see you
35.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nicrez, I would get up early and hike down part of the way so you can see the changes of the red in the rock which is amazing as the sun hits it at different points and the amount you pay to get into the park is good for a week (I think); I remember we were able to go back the next day. June should be warm but it can be quite cool; so dress in layers if you plan on hiking.

I would have a good pair of hiking shoes/boots; I saw people w/tennis shoes but I like having a little traction. You will want a backpack to keep water and food. Going down isn't the hard part it is coming back up; I have done a little hiking down Bright Angel and then back up but not to the bottom (I wish). LuvPugs is correct you can walk along the rim which is nice too and the trail is nice and there is an information center and maps. I didn't think the South rim was too crowded but I would arrive early and there is a shuttle; we got to park up close because we arrived early. We also went a couple of hours before sunset and that was quite the sight to see the red darken in shade as the sun changed. According to the Grand Canyon Rangers most people only spend 15-120 mins looking at it and leaving which is a shame; it really is quite the sight!!! The next time I go back I want to hike to the bottom and stay at the Phantom Ranch and then hike up.

I like to stay in Flagstaff because it is a college town and a bit of shops to stroll. Pasto's is good and in the middle of town near the cute shops. There are also the chain restaurants like Cracker Barrel; there are 2 ways to the Grand Canyon from Flagstaff and the towns people can guide you in the right direction. I hope you get into El Tovar; they have a nice restaurant there, see if you can get reservations. I don't know what restaurants are in Williams. eta: please post pics when you get back!!! You will have a great time
1.gif
Also, you don't have to do any hiking to enjoy the views (just that path along the rim which is pretty easy).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results