shape
carat
color
clarity

Graff price negotiation?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

juanpaco

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!

I am in the process of purchasing a 1 carat diamond engagement ring from Graff in Chicago. I am having the ring send to me on a 2-day approval basis. The price is $12000. The salesperson has told me the appraised value is $17000. I was also told the $12000 price is as low as can be gone without ruffleing the feathers of his bosses. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with price negotiation at Graff. I expect the ring to arrive tomorrow. The drop from $17000 to $12000 was not part of any negotiation on my part. I am wondering if there is any chance to get them to come down to maybe $11000. I hope someone can give me some sound advice about this situation. Has anyone had a similar experience with Graff and were they willing to come down at all? Thank you very much for any advice.

Sincerely,

Juan
19.gif

gail013

Shiny_Rock
I have not dealt with Graff, but have you done a search on Pricescope for a one carat diamond? You will also need to have more detail on cut, color, clarity etc. to be able to compare. That price is very high. Some of the higher end stores do not negotiate on price. Have you looked elsewhere yet?

tuanle55

Rough_Rock
You need to post more informations.

Cut/Clarity/Color/Carat

Certified? GIA ? AGS ?

Even without those information, I''m betting yes it''s very negotiable and probably a $1000 drop is probably easy.

Upside Down Man

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/5/2006 10:47:20 AM
Author:juanpaco
Hi everyone!

I am in the process of purchasing a 1 carat diamond engagement ring from Graff in Chicago. I am having the ring send to me on a 2-day approval basis. The price is $12000. The salesperson has told me the appraised value is $17000. I was also told the $12000 price is as low as can be gone without ruffleing the feathers of his bosses. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with price negotiation at Graff. I expect the ring to arrive tomorrow. The drop from $17000 to $12000 was not part of any negotiation on my part. I am wondering if there is any chance to get them to come down to maybe $11000. I hope someone can give me some sound advice about this situation. Has anyone had a similar experience with Graff and were they willing to come down at all? Thank you very much for any advice.

Sincerely,

Juan
19.gif
That just signals to me that the price absolutely can come down.

For what it''s worth, $12,000 is a high price for a 1 carat diamond. If you tell us some more specifics about what kind of diamond you would like (color range and clarity range, for example), I''m sure we can find you a great stone that will be bigger than 1 carat for less than $12,000.

And then, if you *still* want to go back to Graff, you can at least take that information in with you so you have a better bargaining position with the manager who can''t be bothered to have his feathers ruffled.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/5/2006 10:47:20 AM
Author:juanpaco
Hi everyone!

Sincerely,

Juan
19.gif

HOW MUCH????
6.gif
Or is it a D IF or VVS?

juanpaco

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Thanks for the quick replies. The 1.0 carat stone is an F, VS2. This is all the info I have now. A copy of the GIA certificate will come with it. The stone is set in a beautiful vintage-looking setting withe 46 micro-pave diamonds. The whole piece is somewhat unusual. I am aware that a similar diamond can be purchased for considerably less. I was at the Graff store in Chicago last year with my girlfriend looking at rings. The salesperson I''m working with made us feel very comfortable and we both liked him very much. The Tiffany salespeople at their Chicago store were quite rude in contrast. Maybe we didn''t look like we had money. Anyway, the Graff store was a very positive experience. My girlfriend will be much more excited by a Graff diamond than an online diamond or one from a local jeweler. I just know how she is. This is a substantial part of the equation. Basically, what I''m trying to say is I''m willing to pay a premium but still want Graff to give me their best price. Thanks for any further comments.

Sincerely,

Juan

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/5/2006 12:04:49 PM
Author: juanpaco
Hi,

Thanks for the quick replies. The 1.0 carat stone is an F, VS2. This is all the info I have now. A copy of the GIA certificate will come with it. The stone is set in a beautiful vintage-looking setting withe 46 micro-pave diamonds. The whole piece is somewhat unusual. I am aware that a similar diamond can be purchased for considerably less. I was at the Graff store in Chicago last year with my girlfriend looking at rings. The salesperson I''m working with made us feel very comfortable and we both liked him very much. The Tiffany salespeople at their Chicago store were quite rude in contrast. Maybe we didn''t look like we had money. Anyway, the Graff store was a very positive experience. My girlfriend will be much more excited by a Graff diamond than an online diamond or one from a local jeweler. I just know how she is. This is a substantial part of the equation. Basically, what I''m trying to say is I''m willing to pay a premium but still want Graff to give me their best price. Thanks for any further comments.

Sincerely,

Juan
I hear what you''re saying, but I will never get why someone would want a lesser, smaller diamond just to have a brand name stamped inside LOL I''d be totally going for the bigger better stone!!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An ideal cut F VS2 1 ct. runs around $8000, add in maybe $2500 for the setting and you are up to $10,500. So $12,000 at Graff sounds about right.

Upside Down Man

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/5/2006 12:04:49 PM
Author: juanpaco
Hi,

Thanks for the quick replies. The 1.0 carat stone is an F, VS2. This is all the info I have now. A copy of the GIA certificate will come with it. The stone is set in a beautiful vintage-looking setting withe 46 micro-pave diamonds. The whole piece is somewhat unusual. I am aware that a similar diamond can be purchased for considerably less. I was at the Graff store in Chicago last year with my girlfriend looking at rings. The salesperson I'm working with made us feel very comfortable and we both liked him very much. The Tiffany salespeople at their Chicago store were quite rude in contrast. Maybe we didn't look like we had money. Anyway, the Graff store was a very positive experience. My girlfriend will be much more excited by a Graff diamond than an online diamond or one from a local jeweler. I just know how she is. This is a substantial part of the equation. Basically, what I'm trying to say is I'm willing to pay a premium but still want Graff to give me their best price. Thanks for any further comments.

Sincerely,

Juan
Funny you should say that. My fiance and I had the same experience with the Tiffany flagship store in Manhattan. They were really rather rude to us. We left wondering if we didn't look "rich" enough to warrant their courtesy.

Upside Down Man

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/5/2006 12:16:54 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
An ideal cut F VS2 1 ct. runs around $8000, add in maybe $2500 for the setting and you are up to $10,500. So $12,000 at Graff sounds about right.
DS - that may be well and good, but that doesn''t mean Juan can''t still negotiate for a better price! Besides, the worst they can tell him is they can''t do it, but he won''t know unless he tries. I would speak with the manager ("ruffle his feathers" - but of course in a very civil and professional manner) and see if $11,000 isn''t out of reach.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/5/2006 12:40:12 PM
Author: Upside Down Man

Date: 12/5/2006 12:16:54 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
DS - that may be well and good, but that doesn''t mean Juan can''t still negotiate for a better price! Besides, the worst they can tell him is they can''t do it, but he won''t know unless he tries. I would speak with the manager (''ruffle his feathers'' - but of course in a very civil and professional manner) and see if $11,000 isn''t out of reach.
He certainly can do anything he pleases! I was just suggesting that the price isn''t bad for the particular store he is shopping in. I have never been to a Graff, but I can''t even imagine trying to bargain on price at Tiffany. Maybe Graff is different.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results