carat
color
clarity

Graduated pearls - where to find?

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone, :wavey:

I recently been watching "The Crown" which has only reignited my search once more for a GRADUATED single OR double strand of delicate creamy white round pearls. I love how delicate and comfortable they look. :love: I do have a multi-colour strand of 8-9mm and I wear it frequently but it can look a bit heavy/bold on me as I'm quite petite. I did also try the pink/peach graduated strand from PP but honestly the pearls were far too button shaped for my taste.

I've searched the recommended vendors list above but cannot seem to find any graduated ones? :think: Looking at the screenshot below I'm guessing graduation in size from 3-8mm. Can anyone help me? I have a budget of around $500.
Thanks for your help.

crown-3-1.jpg

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found a beautiful graduated strand at Kojima, though the pearls are described as ivory which may or may not fit your "creamy white" preference... https://kojimapearl.com/collections/pearl-necklaces/products/classic-graduated-pearl-necklace - current 18% sale coupon code "pearlmagic"

Also, if you contact Pearl Paradise or Pearls of Joy, I'm pretty sure either could make the necklace for you exactly as you want (and I think both maintain their generous return policy even with custom orders, though I'd confirm that if going that route).

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooooh thanks Marymm that looks perfect! :love: I’m not very familiar with that vendor - assuming reliable quality? I’ll also contact Jeremy at PP too.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm just noticed it’s not knotted between the pearls...!? Is this usual?

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you considered getting a vintage strand? Graduated akoya stands were often given to ladies in WWII and Korean War era, by their sweethearts and husbands who brought them back from Japan. The nacre on these old strands is often thicker than it was in later decades, because the oysters used to be left in the water longer. The luster can also be very good.

Many of these vintage pearl necklaces turn up in consignment shops and thrift stores. I found 3 such necklaces that way, all very well priced (a 5-8mm strand for $5, a 3-7mm one for $12 and the most recent one, 6-9mm, $38-- that one has a 14K white gold diamond clasp!)

I've also seen vintage graduated strands at antique shops and in the estate jewelry section of local jewelers. You might even check pawn shops. Many others end up on eBay.

My guess is that when the original owners die, the heirs don't want to wear them. Often the pearls need to be cleaned and restrung and people don't want to bother, so they get rid of them the easiest way possible. That means a bargain for the sharp-eyed shopper.

Many of these old strands were knotted only between the last 3 pearls on each side of the clasp. This is not unusual. However all 3 strands I bought were knotted between each pearl. (I restrung them -- they needed it-- and knotted between each pearl.)

Oh, and yes Sarah Canizzaro at Kojima is trustworthy, but note those are freshwater pearls. Did you want akoyas? Usually akoyas have higher luster.

Last edited:

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty much any of the vendors in the trusted vendor list would be able to do a graduated strand for you. Freshwater pearls would be the most affordable. Akoya would have more luster and would be more authentic to the 1940-1960 time period (I suspect QE-II’s strands are natural pearls given the era that she was given them, and would be beyond the reach of most of us here).

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmmm no charity shops where I live but I'll certainly keep an eye out online. Happy to purchase vintage as long as I can verify they are real.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you buy vintage online, be sure there the seller accepts returns.

marionberry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
... Happy to purchase vintage ....

I am curious since I've been lurking around pics of graduated classic pearls strands for months now myself ... did you find a strand yet?

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
That's a classic 3.5momme strand, so called because that was the early style sold by Mikimoto. Very small pearls mostly, with a few larger ones in the middle. Only the ends knotted.
It's fairly easy to get them, either white or in natural colours. One wholesaler was making them up by the tray last year

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No I haven’t committed to anything yet - cannot seem to find exactly what I want so no rush... :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results