shape
carat
color
clarity

Grade this ideal scope

n64bomb

Rough_Rock
Trade
How would you rate this? Stone is 1.8 on hca, Gia XXX, and the inner contrast arrows closest to the table vary greatly. Would this come back as 1 grade under ideal? Minimal light leakage. Stone VS2 1.3C RBC.

Ideal > near ideal > excellent > very good > good > fair

Where would you put this stone? I would put as as near ideal? Is that right? How would you price the difference between an ideal and a near ideal vs an excellent? Going from excellent to ideal is a huge price jump, but where do near ideal stones come into the price point? Ideal minus 5%?

_38113.jpg

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The IS image is good. The stone is 60/60 style.

https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca
punch in all numbers.

If the score is less than 2.0 AND "X" is situated within the white border (meaning AGS ideal candidate), I personally consider such stone "ideal", especially with an idealscope image of this quality with no leakage.

Ideal > near ideal > excellent > very good > good > fair
Super Ideal>Ideal > near ideal > excellent > very good > good > fair

it is not super ideal (at least according WF and GOG's definition), primarily because of the large table of 58+

n64bomb

Rough_Rock
Trade
Factor Grade
Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Very Good
Spreador diameter for weight Excellent
Total Visual Performance 1.3 - Excellent
within TIC range

hca of 1.3 I misspoke in the first post. Also, the X is within the bold white box on the hca.

table 60%
depth 59.5%
crown angle 33.0 degrees
pavilion angle 41.0 degrees
no culet
3% girdle
star length 50%
lower half 80%

n64bomb

Rough_Rock
Trade
The polish and symmetry of the stone are excellent on the gia report, as well as the table being 60% and crown angle 33 degrees; otherwise, I think it would be ags 000 cut.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In MY book, this stone is ideal cut, others may disagree because of the large table and low crown angle of 33.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
n64bomb|1472513653|4071290 said:
The polish and symmetry of the stone are excellent on the gia report, as well as the table being 60%; otherwise, I think it would be ags 000 cut.
To make AGS 0 it would have to make it through the light performance ray tracer. The GIA cut grading system does not actually calculate light performance from a 3D scan of the diamond- it looks up the measurements on pre-defined charts to render a grade. The white boxes on the HCA screen represent proportion based charts that give an indication of AGS parameters. But modern cut grading at AGS is light performance based, not parametric.

As FlyingPig indicated, our company would not consider this a super ideal cut, but it could potentially make our second category if it has distinct hearts and meets other criteria.

With a 60/60 you can gain some white light return and potentially some spread, but at the expense of some fire. It's a bit of a taste judgement. On the one hand, you don't see fire in all lighting environments. On the other hand, fire is a really special piece of diamond light performance.

n64bomb

Rough_Rock
Trade
Gotcha thanks for clearing that up. I am going to buy that stone, I guess it is ideal or very close to ideal, depending on how you view it. Still, it has great light return and I'm going to say it is ideal nonetheless! Thanks everyone :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results