shape
carat
color
clarity

Got an Idea about the stone, so how about a unique ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
hey guys, thank you SO much for your input on the stone for my girlfriend''s engagement ring. I''m definitely deciding on an ideal cut and have a couple to choose from. During the holidays I took her to a couple different stores and noticed she wasn''t happy with any of them besides the 1/2 HoF and the Peerless from Jared''s. I put in a pricescope and got a ton of different offers so we''ll see which ones are closest to what we are looking for. Also, how have those of you who bought the rings online dealt with repairs, replacements, etc? With me finishing my Masters in June of 09 at Ohio State and her in Pennsyvlania, we have no idea where we will be living for a while, which is why a national chain like Jared seems the best choice. And what is this gem-ex report and how does it compare with the others I have seen around? I know I can find the info but the problem is the time and I know how all of you love to give this novice some sage advice.

Now on to the ring. I found out she does want a solitaire ring, but not so simple after she saw some selections. Where is a good place to get some unique ideas that will be nice to fit a 1/2 karat but not kill my budget. She wants either a design on the band or a part band, part design. We found a couple we liked that I wanted to consider but were just too small...

One last thing, I noticed one company said I get a discount for being a PS member? How does that work?

Waiting to hear from you all, less than 7 months until proposal, not that I''m counting down or anything....
9.gif

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/23/2008 9:41:00 AM
Author:ImpressingMyPrincess
hey guys, thank you SO much for your input on the stone for my girlfriend's engagement ring. I'm definitely deciding on an ideal cut and have a couple to choose from. During the holidays I took her to a couple different stores and noticed she wasn't happy with any of them besides the 1/2 HoF and the Peerless from Jared's. I put in a pricescope and got a ton of different offers so we'll see which ones are closest to what we are looking for. Also, how have those of you who bought the rings online dealt with repairs, replacements, etc? With me finishing my Masters in June of 09 at Ohio State and her in Pennsyvlania, we have no idea where we will be living for a while, which is why a national chain like Jared seems the best choice. And what is this gem-ex report and how does it compare with the others I have seen around? I know I can find the info but the problem is the time and I know how all of you love to give this novice some sage advice.

Now on to the ring. I found out she does want a solitaire ring, but not so simple after she saw some selections. Where is a good place to get some unique ideas that will be nice to fit a 1/2 karat but not kill my budget. She wants either a design on the band or a part band, part design. We found a couple we liked that I wanted to consider but were just too small...

One last thing, I noticed one company said I get a discount for being a PS member? How does that work?

Waiting to hear from you all, less than 7 months until proposal, not that I'm counting down or anything....
9.gif
When you say the bands that you wanted to consider were too small -- what do you mean? The band is too thin?

You might want to look at this site http://antiqueengagementrings.com/shopping/shopdisplayproducts.asp?page=2. They have a lot of nice repro antique settings. I am particularly fond of the first one on this page. You didn't mention side stones, but I think they are just lovely on this setting. Is that what you meant by a design on the ring?

I am not familiar with Jareds, but I (and I predict everyone else on here) will recommend one of the on-line vendors, like Whiteflash or Pricescope. I looked at some HoF's in person when I first started my search. They are impressive; however, if I were ordering a new stone, I would without hesitation get a Whiteflash ACA or ES over an HoF stone. As far as I can tell, you would pay quite a bit more for an HoF stone than you would for an ACA or ES. I am sure you and your GF would be thrilled with the quality and cut of an HoF, but just note that you will pay a premium for a brand name and you'd be just as happy with a WF stone.

Well here we go, the final showdown...

Jared''s Galleria told me I have two weeks before they will be forced to raise the price of the diamonds they carry due to the current economic level, is this a bunch of marketing BS or should I be buying by Valentine''s Day a rock I won''t propose with till August?

I am still considering WhiteFlash, Celina has been absolutely awesome and understanding. I am still unsure about how warranty work and such. But I am going to call her on Monday after my grad course lets out and hope to sort this out. Here is the stone I am thinking of going with:

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/Diamond_Details.aspx?idno=292597
WF also would have no sales tax, delivery charge and free mounting. So from a purely monetary value I would be a fool to not be strongly considering going with them.

And yes the Peerless of that kind of caliber I have been quoted by Jared''s would be 2200, mounting would be 100, sales tax would be 154.00, and then they will try and give me some extended warranty plan for 150.00.

Finally I have a local vendor that is supposed to put a HoF package together for me, but I don''t see how they could even get close to a H/A ring from Whiteflash. Also, there would be a 30.00 mounting charge not to mention Ohio sales tax.

Here is the ring I am looking for. A THOUSAND Thanks to those linking DanforthDiamonds for mountings, I was curious about sets and found the perfect elvenish ring (yes we do roleplay and renaissance faires) but yet something very elegant.

Can''t Believe I found this setting!

Advice and thoughts would still be welcomed....but I think I am close to having this part of the engagement process part done...now on to planning part two! And yes when all is said and done you guys will get to hear the whole story.

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like Jared's is trying to scare you into buying from the right away, "before it's too late".
emsmileo.gif
Take everyone's advice here and buy from one of the highly respected PS vendors.

As for repairs and maintenace, depending on what needs to be done, I will ship my rings back to the original vendor for repair if needed, and use my local jeweler for any maintenance I might need.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results