shape
carat
color
clarity

Got a new refrigerator---How much can I get for my old one?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
Who would have ever thought I would come to the Pricescope family with this type of question...but, hey, I have seen some brilliant suggestions, and great websites, given out over this forum so I figured I would see if anyone can help me.

Ok, I am upgrading my appliances, one by one, and I just had a new refrigerator delivered this morning. The one I previously had was included with the house by the previous owners. It''s probably 10 years old. It works perfectly and I figured that it may not be worth much but it could offset the price of the new one a bit.

I have no idea how much I should ask for it. Is there a website out there that has this information? I''m not much to do the yard-sale-thing so I figured I would spread the word and sell to an individual. Plus, where I work we have an intranet bulletin board that I may find someone that''s interested.

I welcome any suggestions.
Thanks to all in advance.
1.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I doubt you can get much for it but you can try craig''s list. Also look in the paper to see how much older fridges are getting. You might be better off just donating it for a tax write-off.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To be honest, you''d be lucky to have someone haul it away for free. I know, as I''ve had a massive breakdown of appliances over the last couple of years. You may be able to squeak $50 out of it, maybe a little more if it''s common to have "garage" fridges there for the guys. (Or basement fridges.) I always ask the new appliance people to arrange to take away my old appliances, but I guess it''s too late for that now.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
craigs list is probably a good suggestion. that or just keep it as an extra in your garage. my parents did that when they moved and it really comes in handy. my mom stocks it with extra drinks or if she''s having a big dinner party it''s extra space to keep things cold.

LegacyGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Craigslist is the best when it comes to this stuff!!

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
I didn''t want to have it hauled off when I had the new one delivered because it works so well--the delivery guys offered so I guess they are used to just taking the old one away...if it was broken or not working properly I would have let them take it. Donation for a tax write-off is a good idea, Craigslist is something I may check into, but I may also see if there anyone knows a needy family I can give it to.

Thanks so much for the responses!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Salvation Army will usually pick up larger items IF they need the item and IF they aren''t behind in pick-ups. In our old city, we found a smaller, church-run charity second hand store that would pick up anything within about 72 hours.

Craiglist is also great - I''m always scanning for furniture deals. In terms of how much...I dunno, $200? LOL, I think I''ve been watching too much HGTV this evening...I was about to write "look at Craiglist and search for comps!"

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
why not take it to the basement or garage for overflow? when i really need to get rid of an appliance i call a local guy who is an appliance repairman. he takes give aways and buys (cheaply) old appliances for parts and he also resells the used appliances. you might get a couple bucks this way.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
If it is working properly and cosmetically good, in my area you might get $50 tops. With my old appliances I have placed a classified ad offering "10 year old fridge, white and works perfectly...FREE...You haul" You''ll get lots of calls and it will go to someone who likely couldn''t afford a new one. I''ve had luck with a fridge, stove, dishwasher and even an old swingset using the FREE concept in classifieds. Many newspapers will let you place an ad to give something away for next to nothing or possibly even free. craigslist would be similar but my area isn''t active with it.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Whenever DH puts something on Craigslist, he winds up getting 3 or 4 calls that night about it (even the box of tv cable that the Comcast guy told us to keep after staying late on a Friday night hooking our house up . . . so obviously this was a person perusing Craigslist just to see what was on there, not somebody expecting a box of left-behind cable to pop up any minute). So I''d say put it on there for $50, $40 if you really want it to go fast, free if you just want it to make somebody else happy (and they''re doing you a favor by hauling it away).

We are only two people, but we moved the bisque fridge that came with the house down to the basement when we got our new SS one. It holds the seltzer water, white wine (red is in its own mini fridge), Honest Tea, extra Soymilk, and anything else I''ve stocked up on but don''t need right away (sometimes I''m like, oops, we already had sour cream or whatever and put the unopened one down in the basement with a mental note to go get it instead of buying a new one when we run out). It''s a life saver because our regular fridge is full of, well, normal stuff . . . milk, OJ, veggies, etc. It''s a smaller fridge (18 cu. ft., I think) due to the kitchen layout, but still, I can''t believe how handy that other fridge comes in. Do you have a place to keep it? You might also have a friend or neighbor who''d like a basement/garage fridge if you ask around.

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
We bought our used refrigerator for $75, but it wasn''t ten years old. I''d agree that $50 would probably be about right.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
$50 around here too.

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
We don''t have a basement, sure do wish I did, and I had considered leaving it as an extra fridge in the garage--but, in two days time I have found out about two families with serious financial problems who are having fridge problems. I think this has come to my attention for a reason. I checked Turbo Tax to see how much I could get if I donated to a charity (prior to finding out about the families) and it would mean a $22 refund based on the fridge alone. I think a family in need is more important than $22.

I really appreciate everyone''s suggestions and ideas. Thank you!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
dianne, I so glad you found a family who could really use your fridge. I am sure you will feel very good about your decision!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results