shape
carat
color
clarity

GoodOldGold?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

minicat

Rough_Rock
NO.....GoodOldGold are way better than a mere ''good.''

after a long time looking and waiting my gf and i have now got our stone and its incredible.

it seems that lots of people here at PS give a little ''report'' on their diamond buying experience. indeed, it was the thousands of customers accounts of their experience that gave me confidence to keep looking on the net for an engagment diamond. so hopefully i will be able to help throw more business to GOG, or indeed any of the others who have helped me.

my first ''look'' into the diamond world was to learn the basics of the 4Cs on the net. i had contacted a few B&M jewlers, had some friends of friends who trade diamonds in Hatton Garden etc. All were highly reputable and helpful. but they didnt have stones that made you want to swear outloud when you saw them...if you know what i mean;-) in the mean time i was reading more and more about diamonds on the net, came across this site and just read more. almost reading posts at random really...just getting a feel for it. after all, i was contemplating spending a large chunk of my hard earned money, buying a diamond ive never seen, on the internet, from a guy in another country, whos known as Rhino!!!! and when you say it like that it sound crazy! but i wanted to learn more anyway and the more i learnt, the more i realised that the compass was pointing firmly towards the internet route. and according to all the information i could get, there was only a few people to chose from. so i started emailing them. i very quickly struck up a relationship/connection with Jonathan at GOG who was an absolute pleasere to work with.

My gf and i ended up going over to NY to the GOG shop. each time we saw a different jewler/merchant we were more impressed with them and their diamonds than we were the last lot we saw. and the visit to GOG was no different. Jonathan was excited about his product, and he wanted you to be excited too....as you should be;-) there were gadgets all over the place for showing off the stones and we were shown a few of them (unfortunatly we were late and only had 15 mins before the ups guy took the stone away). If only we had longer. i say that because if the confidence Jonathan had in his stones that he wanted to SHOW you the difference in as many possible ways as there can be!! and it WAS a pleasure to see. (i also noticed he was the only diamond guy i have dealt with who didnt start down the route of explaining colour, clarity etc...like the basics are assumed if your there!) but thats not the thing really, it means with the majority of other dealers, that is what the customer education is...but GOG go so far beyond that. I even found some merchants in Hatton Gardens getting slightly annoyed with me talking about hearts and arrows...they were telling me that even they could not tell the diff between a GIA ex ex ex and a vg g g or similar. well i can assure anyone that even i can tell the difference from about 5 feet or more easy!!!!

i have read that some people found that emails from Christen didnt get answered etc. i must admit i found the same. but i will say this...i think she is the type of worker who doesnt like explaining things along the way...she just gets the job done and tell you when it is. i had a tight time frame in NY and was (unknown to me) asking for something that was NOT easily done. but she managed to do it, and was VERY thorough with checking addresses, contact numbers etc. shes a star :)

i can waffle on for ages about anything, so id better tie this up now.

Id say that the bottom line is this...if you want to buy a diamond, research the internet till you are confortable buying. its easy to say that B&M is more confortable...imo just about everyone will feel comfortable (probably more than they did initially with the B&M!) using the net if they read enough. then contact GOG. you may not like them the most, or they may not have what your looking for or whatever....but you are doing yourself over if you dont atleast email them.

now for a setting....can anyone reccommend a platinum ring maker in uk...i have heard of Daniel Prince...has anyone else? any others?

thank you all

minicat

ps. i found that the laser inscription from GIA was "comfort wise" hard to place a value on. this is because it give the buyer a level of confidence even before they have any contact with the seller....and it stays all the way through the buyng process...always giving that confirmation that the buyer can rely on. and can continue to rely on forever ie setting, cleaning etc. i love the idea of laser inscription and see it like a ''belt and braces'' style of buying/selling. i cant honestly say 100% that i would have had the confidence to decide that i was going to buy from the internet, thus i MAY have never got as far as speaking to GOG or any others if it wasnt for the existence is laser inscribing. But having been to see them and gone throught the internet buying process, i CAN say 100% that i would buy diamonds from these people without the inscription...though it is handy for after you have bought it from them like i said earlier about cleaning etc.

ok enough!!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the nice review minicat, though not surprised it went well. Congrats on your diamond purchase!

I''m sorry I can''t help with your setting.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2008 7:32:34 PM
Author: Ellen
Thanks for the nice review minicat, though not surprised it went well. Congrats on your diamond purchase!

ditto.

I don't know of any UK jewelers. Did GOG not have a setting that would work for you?

minicat

Rough_Rock
No.

its not like we wernt happy for them to do a great job...or make sure one got done. it was down to 2 things. firstly were both ''all-over-the-place'' people and time was an issue. thats the excuse for being unorganised!!! second is i think chosing a setting is a bit harder without seeing it in real life. then there is the added fact to that that we havent even seen the diamond that might go in any particualr setting we might think we like etc etc

anyway...were going to spend some time looking at LOTS of setting variations on the 6 claw tiffany style. in the mean time i have a friend who will set the stone in a decent ring for just the price of the metal. and its not like hes some back street dealer too so it should be more that good enough.

minicat

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
From one satisfied GOG customer to another, congrats on your diamond purchase! I was like you, I needed to try on settings before buying so I wouldn''t get stuck with something I had just seen a photo of and then didn''t like in real life.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey minicat!

Thank you for the kind words. It is always a pleasure when we can put faces to our clients, especially those who travel as far as you did to come to our store.
1.gif

From all of us at GOG ... a warm regards and please send our best to your lovely fiance too.

rockaddict

Rough_Rock
Hi minicat

I too bought from rhino back in March (3 stone cushion) which he set in Platinum for me... However my wedding set (updated) was an ideal cut H&A diamond I inherrited and re-set by Harriet Kellsall in Herfordshire. See http://www.hkjewellery.co.uk/details/web/type/rings/ID/2720 . They were great to work with but do need evidence of where the stone came from which GOG had offered for my other stones but they had a setting I liked anyway..... Look on the HK web site at http://www.hkjewellery.co.uk/ where you can find literally HUNDREDS of previous comissions..... Set aside two weeks for browsing! They are PERFECTIONISTS and although not the cheapest are absolutely right for a special stone. Hope this helps and look forwards to seeing the result from wherever you get it......

Regards

minicat

Rough_Rock
thanks rockaddict,

actually i did a search for the uk jewellery awards and i have already emailed them. its great to know that they are known as perfectionists. strangly, no one has got back to me yet. thanks for the reply.

also, what do you mean when you say they need to know where its from? like the shop i bought it..country...or where it was found...ie. not a conflict stone?

(your most welcome Rhino...it was a pleasure:)

minicat

rockaddict

Rough_Rock
Hi Minicat,
Sorry for the delay in answering your question. If it is an unset stone HK need to know if the diamond is conflict free.
If the stone is already set in a ring [especially if it is an inherited piece] then they will rework it.

Jon did refer us to an article about the source of diamonds entering the US.......this was when we were considering getting Harriet to set the cushions we bought from him back in March. I can"t find it currently but I"m sure Jon can help if this is the route you choose.

Hope this helps

Regards

minicat

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/13/2008 4:31:52 PM
Author: rockaddict
Hi Minicat,
Sorry for the delay in answering your question. If it is an unset stone HK need to know if the diamond is conflict free.
If the stone is already set in a ring [especially if it is an inherited piece] then they will rework it.

Jon did refer us to an article about the source of diamonds entering the US.......this was when we were considering getting Harriet to set the cushions we bought from him back in March. I can''t find it currently but I''m sure Jon can help if this is the route you choose.

Hope this helps

Regards
Tks rockaddict

dowsey

Rough_Rock
Hi Minicat,

It sounds like you had a very similar experience to me. I did the Hatton Garden thing first, then then internet thing, and then i found PS, and asked for advice here on the forum, from here I was guided to GOG. Sarah @ GOG recommended a couple of beautiful stones and I showed my GF a couple of videos on their website explaining the difference between ''average'' stones and AGS 0...after that it was easy! We made a purchase within a couple of days. The GOG staff were very helpful and efficient and the stone is due to arrive today. For the platinum setting, we have commissioned David Simmons http://www.davidsimmonsjewellers.com/index.htm who is based in Earlsfield. Again, his settings are by no means cheap, but you gain the services of a master craftsman with nearly 40 years of jewllery making experience. I''m sure it will be worth every penny. In short, i think GOG are fantastic and would recommend them to anyone
1.gif

Cheers

Dowsey

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
since your talking about visiting Hatton Gardens... then i''m guessing your london area.

a few of my friends have been to, and had good service from Matt at Exquinox in Hoddesdon

Equinox Jewellery Design Studio
100, High St, Hoddesdon, Hertfordshire EN11 8HD
Tel: 01992 448544

i have a few pictures on my home PC (i hope, after a recent computer crash!) of their rings.
one chap bought his diamond from whiteflash and had the setting made by matt and the other bought the ring and diamond complete from Matt.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results