shape
carat
color
clarity

good stone for this price?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CCM

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!

I just got the stone we ordered for my e-ring in the mail (we ordered from USAA)

I was wondering if someone could tell me if this stone was good, especially for the price? We paid around $5,100 for it.

Also, I hear a lot about Ideal cut...but on this GIA scale on the certificate it goes from Poor to Excellent, where is Ideal?

Thanks in advance for taking a look at it! :)

GIA Report:

Shape and Cutting Style: Round Brilliant
Measurements 6.16-6.18 x 3.80mm
Carat Weight: .90 carat
Color Grade: F
Clarity Grade: VS1
Cut Grade: Excellent

Finish
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Excellent
Flourescence: Medium Blue
Comments:
pinpoints are not shown

CCM

Rough_Rock
Sorry! I didn''t realize there was more. Here''s the rest:

Total Depth: 61.6%
Table Size: 59%
Crown Angle: 34.0
Crown Height: 13.5%
Pavilion Angle: 41.2
Pavilion Depth: 43.5%
Star Length: 60%
Lower Half: 80%
Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted (4.3%)
Cutlet: None

Hera

Ideal_Rock
scored a 3.5 on the HCA: Visual performance worth buying if the price is right. The price seems okay but but in your price range I would get a diamond like this one from Whiteflash. It would be sparklier:

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-684394.htm

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I''ve heard GIA"s cut grade can be kind of expansive. Most people here try to get an HCA (Holloway Cut Advisor) under 2.0. If you look under tools at the top you will find the HCA. Searching for results will enlighten you as well.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd pass on it. If you want to stick with the same vendor, try looking for stones with these parameters:

table 54-57%
depth 60-62%
crown angle 34-35
pavilion angle 40.7 to 41
polish and symmetry should be at least very good to excellent

I don't like the GIA cut grading because sometime lovely ones are graded VG while some duds are Ex. I rather grade them using AGS's grading method, Idealscope and the HCA.
https://www.pricescope.com/cutadviser.asp

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/2/2008 6:10:58 PM
Author: CCM
Sorry! I didn't realize there was more. Here's the rest:

Total Depth: 61.6%
Table Size: 59%
Crown Angle: 34.0
Crown Height: 13.5%
Pavilion Angle: 41.2
Pavilion Depth: 43.5%
Star Length: 60%
Lower Half: 80%
Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted (4.3%)
Cutlet: None
You could do better certainly, but it depends on what matters most to you. GIA's highest cut grade is Excellent by the way, no Ideal. Also you could broaden your options a bit by considering perhaps G and H colour and even a clean SI1 or SI2 clarity if you can find one. Of course if you are happy with the diamond then that is the main thing. Also the HCA can penalise a diamond with a steeper pavilion angle such as this.

I would use Chrono's numbers to research, but do consider a diamond which is perhaps a bit deeper than 62% if everything else is right, say up to 62.4% as an example, and a pavilion angle of 40.6 to 41 would be fine if the crown angle complements. Also an Idealscope image can be advisable if you choose a stone with shallower angles ( CA 34/ PA 40.6) and steeper ( CA 35/ PA 41) to make sure they work in harmony for that particular stone.

It depends on whether you like what you have and how much time and research you want to put into finding an alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results