shape
carat
color
clarity

Good rock?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Momus

Rough_Rock
I''m going to be purchasing an e-ring in the next few days. I''ve done enough research to be able to more or less navigate around the 4 "Cs" and such. But when it comes to proportions, angles, girdles, culets, and other such things...let''s just say that "cluelessness" has been the fifth "C" in my diamond shopping experience.

Here are the stats on the diamond I''m considering. Please let me know if I''ve missed something important and I''m about to make a horrible mistake...

Thanks!

Carat: 1.21
Cut: Ideal (AGS)
Measurements: 6.78 x 6.82 x 4.27 mm
Symmetry/Polish: Ideal/Ideal
Color: H
Clarity: VVS1
Depth: 62.8%
Table: 55% (the cert says it’s 54.6%)
Crown: 35.6º
Pavilion: 40.7º
Girdle: Medium to thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: Negligible

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just curious how you arrived at H VVS1.

There are less expensive combinations or bigger stones to be had.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Julie noted what I would comment on, too. The VVS is overkill...and though H may be fine, you might rather decrease your clarity and increase either size or color. Nothing could be finer than an F VS1, and if you traded each color and clarity grade up/down by 2, that''s where you''d get, and that''s what I''d generally prefer.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Going to G vs F will provide savings for sure, and Julie pointed to a couple of good nice ones, though I don''t think you''ve yet shared your cost basis.

So for example, you can keep it under $10 K, go to F, and have an ACA...

Momus

Rough_Rock
Thanks very much for the replies so far. The diamonds I''ve been looking at have been around $8,000, and I''d like to stay in that neighborhood. A couple more questions:

* How can you tell that it faces up a little small? Is it the table?
* One of the diamonds Julie linked to is G color with medium blue fluorescence. Is that still a nice feature in a G (as opposed to an I-J)?

Thanks again!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I don't have it already calculated for me, it's a mental sort (sport?)

If a 1.18 has the same or larger diameter than a 1.21, then the 1.21 has less spread.

Or if a 1.2 measures 7.8 and the next 1.2 measures 7.9...

Medium blue is fine. I believe that people should buy fluor if they like it, and don't touch it if they don't; the decision should not be based on rules like "fluor for H and under," "avoid fluor in colorless," "avoid strong blue."

Blue is my least favorite color. I don't even own a blue shirt. So I wouldn't buy a blue shirt just because someone told me it "brings out my eyes" or something like that.

So your call if it's a nice thing to have. But it is not generally considered a negative.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results