shape
carat
color
clarity

Good Price?

sunny77

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

New to this site. I wanted to see what everyone thought about the pricing on this stone I'm getting for an engagement ring. Not sure if it has been treated or not.

Oval 1.53 ct, $1,415, Medium dark greenish blue Montana sapphire (7.90 x 5.98) Med dark VS GAL (https://kenanddanadesign.vids.io/videos/4c9adeb21e18e7c4c4/img_2088-mov)

Also, has anyone ever tried to haggle when buying off a site for a brick and mortar store across the country? I can't figure out the best way to go about it.

Thanks!

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! I love teal sapphires, they remind me of the ocean. It's a lovely color but have you seen it in person? I think there may be a bit of zoning/stripes) under the table/middle and a slight brown tint when tilted that may or may not be more noticeable in real life. Does that bother you or does it add to the character? I'm not savy enough to comment on the price; you'll have to wait for others to guide you in that dept!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not see the listed price?
The stone colour looks very warm and pretty in the video. I would ask for more pics in different lighting though. It might be a bit dark in real life. I think I see a small window, but that might close in the setting.
Do they have a good return policy? It’s difficult to judge sapphires from photos/ video only.

sunny77

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your reply all.

737lizzakg - thank you! I didn't notice that so hard to say. Unfortunately, the store is across the country so I'm unable to see it with my own eyes and have to rely on these videos. I don't know if it will add character but I was drawn to the brilliance

Acinom - Unfortunately, I cannot return the ring, though I do not know about the stone (though I'm sure it applies since they will be setting it).

LisaRN - thanks for the tip! No it doesn't have to be Montana, that was simply part of the description I was given. I appreciate the link but besides the color, the one you sent stated it was slightly included vs the one I posted is said to be very slightly included. Though I don't think that justifies the nearly 2.5x price difference

I'm mainly worried I'll have it shipped and when it's appraised, I'll be told it's worth much less than what I paid for it without any way to return or complain since they're a many-hour plane ride away. I asked for the certificate but not sure what else I can request.

And and all thoughts appreciated!

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The certificate was done by whom? Have you seen Montana Sapphire's in person? I'd be hesitant to order anything at that price point that I cannot return. You can ask them if they will 'memo' the gem to a local jeweler (for you!) for your approval prior to purchase. This is often done between jewelers and allows the jewelers to be responsible for the gem's custody. There may be a slight surcharge for this.......but it should come with the caveat that if you do not like the gem.........it can be returned to the original vendor. From the video I'd be concerned that it could be much darker than you think when set...........the flashes are nice, but the overall look appears to be darker--at least to me. Lastly, perhaps you live near a vendor that could show you gems in person?

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think blues are very difficult to evaluate on a computer screen. I’d recommend seeing the stone in person before you have it set. You might be surprised how you feel seeing it on the hand. I thought I would like a medium dark velvety blue, but in reality that color is horrible on me and a lighter cornflower shade is much better. I like the sapphires that tend toward teal or toward lavender, but my preference is not for the darker shades. It’s a personal decision so what matters is what you like. Ask to evaluate this important stone in many types of light and times of day. Best wishes!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's a fair price, not a bargain, but s fair price, especially if the stone is untreated. You may want to get that checked out with a lab like AGL.

I would also like to see in in various light sources.

sunny77

Rough_Rock
Here's a copy of the certificate it comes with (the 1.5 ct one is the one I'm looking at). I'm in a different state so I don't have the option to see it. However, I did get them to agree to a return even though their site says no due to the custom nature of their rings.
The only hesitation I have now is if I went too small on the stone since I didn't realize sapphires were heavier than diamonds. The two that I liked were the 1.5 ct and the 3 ct. I just felt a 3 ct stone would be too gauche. IMG_2373.JPG
IMG_2083.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2373.JPG
    IMG_2373.JPG
    262.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2083.JPG
    IMG_2083.JPG
    290.4 KB · Views: 19

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Capture.JPG
When I watched the video, I saw this hint of yellow/brown, and the pic also shows it. Ask the seller what it is (possibly a window?)

Anyone else notice this?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results