shape
carat
color
clarity

*Good Deal or Bad Deal* Engagement Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jlarijani

Rough_Rock
I need to get an engagement ring this week and have been shopping around non-stop. I found one at Charleston Alexander (Virginia) (wherethediamondsare.com). Here are the specs... .94 carat round ideal H SI1 The diamond is $3867.30 and the setting I am getting (platinum solitaire) is $623.70. Total $4491
loopy.gif

It comes with EGL certifications and appraises for $6500. Please give me your opinions!

Specs...
57 Table
61.7 Depth
Very Good Polish & Symmetry
Takowski Ideal Cut
Crown 16%
Pav Depth 43%
Girdle- Medium
No flourescence
Perfect Stone

Any advice/comments/suggestions?
wavey.gif

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
It's probably not the creme de la creme in terms of cut -a similar stone with top cut would probably run you about 1K more, as far as I can tell from some quick searches. It scores a 3 on the HCA (scores div>

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Crown seems a bit high @ 16% and without angles it's difficult to tell... I think Q hit it on the head--may not be worst stone out there but probably not a top performer.
1.gif

jlarijani

Rough_Rock
I am looking for an entry level engagement ring. This store will allow me to bring it in and upgrade the stone over time and give me the exact value of what I paid.

I don't have too much $ to spend as I just graduated college so I want a decent rock for the misses.

Priority is all-around ring. I just want something above average and better looking then something from Kay Jewelers/Shaw's or another generic mall jewelry store.

I'm sorry if I re-posted...my computer crashed as I was hitting submit so I have another topic in the forum.

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Did you go there and look at it? If so, did you see other ones in that price range? They have many diamonds on site taht you could look at. For example a better cut eye clean SI2 I or J color may look better to you or not. If I were buying and had a size budget requirement, I would favor a better cut stone of SI2 and I to J color. The cut will make it look whiter and possibly hide inclusions better.

Check out Dirt Cheap Diamonds. You may get a better deal. In fact I know in many cases you will. However you can't go see them like at CA.

Blueman33

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 10/25/2004 4:45:51 PM noobie wrote:

Did you go there and look at it? If so, did you see other ones in that price range? They have many diamonds on site taht you could look at. For example a better cut eye clean SI2 I or J color may look better to you or not. If I were buying and had a size budget requirement, I would favor a better cut stone of SI2 and I to J color. The cut will make it look whiter and possibly hide inclusions better.

Check out Dirt Cheap Diamonds. You may get a better deal. In fact I know in many cases you will. However you can't go see them like at CA.
----------------

Some would argue that with an EGL cert, that he already has an "I" or "J".

The ring sounds fine. And you can see it, and see it now. I'd probably go for it. But if you want to shop. I personally like vendors with all stones in stock, so they can access immediately.

I am sure DCD has nice stones.

Bellow is from McGivern Diamonds.

#2946059 Round 1.03 SI2 H $3,818 $3,725 EGL 60.4 57 T N X X N 6.57* 6.52*3.95 Ultra Ideal Cut

The first price is credit card, second is wire or check.

This is if you want to pass the "1 carat" hurdle, instead of 'almost a carat'. Ordering also saves you sales tax.

Shop around, it's not a bad price, other than you save sales tax which is another $200-300 if you order, but it never hurts to call.

Good luck.

jlarijani

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Blueman. I hope this works out. I'll probably just go ahead and go for it. I'll let you know how it goes, but surely there's a hurdle over that 1 carat and unfortunately I can't afford it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results