clarity

Gold Karats - 9k vs 14k Yellow Gold

Which would you do? Comment Why Below!

Votes: 3 60.0%

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Does anyone have any experience with this? Not only is 9k more durable, but I like the softer gold color instead of the richer 18ks and such.

I’m thinking about (obsessing about) having an inexpensive ring made by StarsGem, and they offer 9k for $50 less than 14k. I know the price difference is negligible, but I like the more muted lower karats anyway. Seems like a win/win, but I don’t want to make a wrong decision without realizing some con to 9k.

Thoughts ladies? I know a lot of you have experience with SG specifically too, so please feel free to chime in! I don’t know much about their alloys.

I think it’s important to note that this will not be a forever ring. My dream ring is going to be way expensive, but I want SOMETHING on my finger. This could be a happy medium for now, and an excuse to get more than one ring. Haha!

I’m considering an 8x7 ACC in IJ in a yellow gold solitaire setting, similar to what @greenteabiscuit had made. Beautiful ring, by the way! :kiss2: I’m a size 8, so if anyone that’s had an ACC wants to comment on the size I’ve chosen, please don’t hesitate! I didn’t want anything too ostentatious, and thought 2 carats would be plenty, and also “believable” so to speak. I don’t think I’ve seen any colors lower than GH either in this cut, so if any lurkers have ordered an IJ PLEASE PLEASE speak up! :lol:

Thanks in advance everyone!

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Coincidentally I have a 9K gold ring! It's an opal ring my dad gave me. I used to wear it all the time but I haven't as it's gone seriously warped and doesn't fit me anymore. It's not warped because of the gold content; rather, the band is extremely thin. The color looks great, however; I didn't see any discoloration at all from it, even after all these years. It's held up as well as my 14K/18K/24K pieces. I can't say the same about my silver band that I've had for a much shorter period of time!

I can't comment on the ACC but I think 8x7 would be a great size and not ostentatious at all. :D

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for your input!!! Can you see a color difference between it and 14k or is it so negligible it doesn’t matter?

I assume it would be MORE durable, but what do I know? Lol.

Off to google! :lol:

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for your input!!! Can you see a color difference between it and 14k or is it so negligible it doesn’t matter?

I assume it would be MORE durable, but what do I know? Lol.

Off to google! :lol:
Honestly, not really! I think if I were looking closely at it, the 9K looks "rosier" compared to my 14K, but it's so subtle I can barely tell. I only see big differences when you go from 9k/14K to 18K.

I think technically the more alloy the gold has, the more durable it is, but I really haven't noticed, except when I go 24K...I know for sure that's softer. I wear 24K studs and I stepped on one by mistake, which got misshapen. :lol: Not that it was hard to fix, lol.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Haha! At least you weren’t barefoot. Ouch!

I googled and 10k is harder and scratches less, so more durable. People with allergies are more likely to have issues, which I don’t. Sometimes you can tell a difference in color but not always.

I think I’ll just go for it. Worst case, I don’t like it and sell it on DB or LT. :twisted2:

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Woohoo!!! Yes, go get it! :love: I would love to see you get a ring and see how it turns out! :kiss2:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go for it! I got a 9k ring made by an Australian designer, bc they typically use only 9 or 18kt, and the price difference was substantial. I never noticed any differences between the 9 and my 14kt ones. Granted it was white gold, but just FYI. And in pics I've seen, I also prefer the muted tones of 9ct for rings. I really don't think theres any downside.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Go for it! I got a 9k ring made by an Australian designer, bc they typically use only 9 or 18kt, and the price difference was substantial. I never noticed any differences between the 9 and my 14kt ones. Granted it was white gold, but just FYI. And in pics I've seen, I also prefer the muted tones of 9ct for rings. I really don't think theres any downside.

I agree! When and if I have it made, I’ll go with the 9k. This should also satisfy my yellow gold itch since I think my three stone DK ring will look better white.

Now to decide on GH or IJ since I don’t think I’ve seen any IJ stones from the Chinese companies.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i think the only con is resale value. i have a 10k yg ring and i love the color on it, it's somewhere between yellow and rose gold.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
i think the only con is resale value. i have a 10k yg ring and i love the color on it, it's somewhere between yellow and rose gold.

Sounds romantic! If I choose a lower colored stone, I think it would look really nice.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results