shape
carat
color
clarity

Going to New York to buy Engagement Ring!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rainbowbright

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I am a brand new member from Ireland and my boyfriend has just told me that he is whisking me to New York in early December to buy our engagement ring! Words cannot express how excited I am at the thoughts of getting engaged to my lovely man, buying our ring and seeing New York at Christmas time - yippee!!

As we are complete novices at this, some internet searches brought up this forum. I have been so impressed by all of your beautiful rings and the thought that you have all put into their design etc, so I am hoping that you can all help me with my ring please.

I am very open as to what our design looks like, where we are limited is budget and time - we arrive in New York on Wed afternoon and leave fly out Saturday evening. Our budget is $6000. I have always wanted a round cut diamond solitaire (platinum), but after seeing all the beautiful rings on here I am open :)

My question is: given that we have such a short timeframe, who do you recommend we visit and do you recommend that we get something made (my fingers are large unfortunately). What should we look for? What size diamond could I expect for that money? Is the timeframe just too short? Oh I am so excited - I won''t be able to sleep between now and then !!!
36.gif
All help greatly and truly appreciated!

emrainbow.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, and welcome! I will tell you that my new diamond came from Good Old Gold in NY. They were wonderful to work with and carry a wonderful selection of stones. I would recommend getting a simple solitaire setting and put most of your money in the stone. You can always have it reset later if you find another setting you love. I think you can get something like a 1 carat I SI1 and a simple setting for your budget. Or you could go under a carat and get a higher color or clarity. You might want to look at the 4C''s section of the GOG site as well as the Knowledge section of this site to learn more about diamonds before you go.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/4Cs/

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
I agree completely with Diamondseeker...but think you can do better on color.

this one is an H...and they have another for $125 more that''s a G, with temporarily less info.

Call them, maybe they''ll send you a video...have them ready to wrap up and take home, maybe.

It is a special store.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good find, Ira! That would leave enough for a white or yellow gold solitaire setting, too!

DMBsGirl

Brilliant_Rock
If you''re going to NYC, Engagement Rings Direct would be a good place to try. GOG is in Long Island, so ERD may be more convenient if you will be in the city.

rainbowbright

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much Diamondseeker and Ira - I really appreciate both of your help! We are actually going to be staying in Jersey City (right beside Path into NYC) - would Goodoldgold be far in a cab? Is there anywhere else in NYC that you would recommend?

emrainbow.gif

edited to add thank you so much to DMBs Girl for the other suggestion also!

and also to add that I am SO excited!!!
36.gif

MrNyceGuy

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/9/2007 7:39:57 PM
Author: rainbowbright
Thank you so much Diamondseeker and Ira - I really appreciate both of your help! We are actually going to be staying in Jersey City (right beside Path into NYC) - would Goodoldgold be far in a cab? Is there anywhere else in NYC that you would recommend?

emrainbow.gif

edited to add thank you so much to DMBs Girl for the other suggestion also!

and also to add that I am SO excited!!!
36.gif
Hey Rainbow! It''s really funny that I came across your post because I grew up on Long Island, NY which is where Good Old Gold is located and I now live less than 1 minute from that Path station in Jersey City. I commmute every day into Manhattan for work. Anyway, from the path station it is VERY far by cab. It would probably cost you about $100+ to get to Good Old Gold and I''m not even sure if they''d take you there. You''re best best would be to take the path into NYC, then walk from the 33rd street stop (the last stop in Manhattan) to Penn Station where you can grab a train (Long Island Rail Road) out to Long Island and then a cab from teh LIRR stop to Good Old Gold. It''d probably take you about 3 hours to do. I wouldn''t recommend it but if that''s the sole purpose of your trip here..... that''s up to you. You might want to call Barry at ExcelDiamonds.com to set up an appointment with him as he is located in NYC aroudn 45th and 5th (I visited him a month or so ago). He''d probably be able to help you out. If you need any other advice about NYC or Long Island let me know.

Quash

Rough_Rock
I also was about to suggest calling Barry at Excel in the diamond district. Since you like platinum solitaire''s, here is his Tiffany replica, which people say is very good.

Excel Platinum Solitaire

We are also going to nyc. We''ll be there Dec 6-9 and I plan to propose. But, it''s a surprise. ;-)

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Set up appointments NOW because that time of year is crazy for people with the holiday buying crush. Be as specific as possible about what you want them to bring in for you to see (exact size, cut, color, clarity, shape, etc.). FOLLOW UP with the people you''ve booked appts with at least 2 weeks before you get there to remind them since they''re going to be crazy with the holidays coming up.

As for being open to settings...cant help you on that one! You''ve gotta figure that out for yourself. You might want to start by looking at every single page on the top thread of SMTR, and note down which styles you are drawn to, as well as which shape stones. Then go to your local stores and start trying on rings. You might love a particular shape or setting only to find it doesn''t look as good on your hand, or in the size stone you want. So shop as much as you can BEFORE you get to NYC, so you''ll know what you''re really looking for. Otherwise, it''s just too wide open and you''ll get confused... Good luck.

Oh, and you can get to GOG by train, easy.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Setting up appointments now with www.engagementringsdirect.com and www.goodoldgold.com is key to a succesful buying trip. Email them and let them know what you are looking for, that way when you are here the stones will be available for you to see. GOG is an hour train ride from NYC. I have bought from GOG twice now, and highly recommened them, ask for Jonathon. Mark Turnowski at ERD is great to work with too, and is located in the diamond district. Good luck!!
1.gif

MrNyceGuy

Rough_Rock
I know a few people said it would only take an hour to get to GOG but thats from the time the train takes off from Penn station to get to the LIRR station near GOG on Long Island. The path station to NYC will take roughly 40 minutes, plus a 10 minute walk to Penn Station, then you''ll need to wait for the next available train (depends on when you get there as to how long this will take). You also need to account for the cab ride from LIRR station to GOG. Believe me, I''ve made that trip several times to go back and visit family/friends on LI from where I live now and it''s not less than 2 and a half hours minimum. But if that''s what you''re in NY for then go for it.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/9/2007 9:41:11 PM
Author: MrNyceGuy
I know a few people said it would only take an hour to get to GOG but thats from the time the train takes off from Penn station to get to the LIRR station near GOG on Long Island. The path station to NYC will take roughly 40 minutes, plus a 10 minute walk to Penn Station, then you'll need to wait for the next available train (depends on when you get there as to how long this will take). You also need to account for the cab ride from LIRR station to GOG. Believe me, I've made that trip several times to go back and visit family/friends on LI from where I live now and it's not less than 2 and a half hours minimum. But if that's what you're in NY for then go for it.
Just a note: If we know you're coming we'll arrange a ride for you from the train and save you the cab fair.

From the station in LI (Massapequa Park) it's actually only a 15 minute walk east but we'll pick anyone up if we know they're coming via LIRR.

Peace,

rainbowbright

Rough_Rock
Everyone, thank you so so much for all of your kindness and help - I really really appreciate it! Normally regular posters on forums can be reluctant to advise newbies, so thank you everyone!
36.gif

Rhino, thank you so much for your kind offer, but as we are only in NY for such a short period of time, I don''t know if we have the time to get out to LI (or so my BF says - I am trying to convince him otherwise!). I would love to come visit your shop based on all of the feedback and your kind offer, so more convincing is required!

MrNyceGuy thanks for your help you never know, we may meet each other on the Path - if you see a Irish girl hyperventiating with excitement that would be me!!!

I am going to set up time with Engagementrings direct and Excel diamonds, however before I contact them, do you know if 2-3 days is enough time for them to have the ring ready? Is there anything in particular I sould ask or know in advance?

Also, while I obviously trust all of the vendors on pricescope, there is lots of scaremongering by jewelers here in Ireland re: people coming home with white gold rings that should be platinum and flawed diamonds - as a reuslt by BF would like to get the ring appraised before we leave - how does this work?

And ( I promise I am nearly done with questions!) alot of girls on an Irish wedding website mentions two jewlers in the diamond district - Hankien and Salvatores - has anyone heard of these jewelers?

And finally, we took surfgirl''s advise and went looking this weekend - we saw a beautiful 1ct H VS1 white gold ring for $7300 - would I be right to assume there is better value in the US?

Thank you so much everyone again.

A super excited
emrainbow.gif
!!!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Remember that you may be asked to pay customs duty and vat on your purchase when you get back to Ireland.

MrNyceGuy

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/12/2007 8:16:38 AM
Author: rainbowbright
Everyone, thank you so so much for all of your kindness and help - I really really appreciate it! Normally regular posters on forums can be reluctant to advise newbies, so thank you everyone!
36.gif

Rhino, thank you so much for your kind offer, but as we are only in NY for such a short period of time, I don''t know if we have the time to get out to LI (or so my BF says - I am trying to convince him otherwise!). I would love to come visit your shop based on all of the feedback and your kind offer, so more convincing is required!

MrNyceGuy thanks for your help you never know, we may meet each other on the Path - if you see a Irish girl hyperventiating with excitement that would be me!!!

I am going to set up time with Engagementrings direct and Excel diamonds, however before I contact them, do you know if 2-3 days is enough time for them to have the ring ready? Is there anything in particular I sould ask or know in advance?

Also, while I obviously trust all of the vendors on pricescope, there is lots of scaremongering by jewelers here in Ireland re: people coming home with white gold rings that should be platinum and flawed diamonds - as a reuslt by BF would like to get the ring appraised before we leave - how does this work?

And ( I promise I am nearly done with questions!) alot of girls on an Irish wedding website mentions two jewlers in the diamond district - Hankien and Salvatores - has anyone heard of these jewelers?

And finally, we took surfgirl''s advise and went looking this weekend - we saw a beautiful 1ct H VS1 white gold ring for $7300 - would I be right to assume there is better value in the US?

Thank you so much everyone again.

A super excited
emrainbow.gif
!!!

Hey, I''m glad I could lend some advice! Anyway, 3 days or so might not be long enough for them to set the diamond after you pick it out. I think you should call whomever you will be visiting in NY and explain your situation to them and make sure that they understand your time constraint. I think they should be able to have a few diamonds waiting for you that meet your criteria so that you can make a pretty well-informed decision. Actually, you might want to e-mail them instead in order to avoid long distance phone fees.

Anyway, if one or more says that they CAN accommodate your short timeline I would recommend calling David Wolf of JustAppraisers here in NYC. His employee and lab director, Toby Smart, did my appraisal last week and was very helpful. They''re located very close to ExcelDiamonds (like 3 blocks or so away) I went with the less expensive appraisal $140 but their prices vary depending on the size of the stone. For a 1 carat it''s probably about $120 for the cheaper appraisal which verifies the stats of the diamond listed on the grading report and they make sure the color and everything is correct. Additionally, they gave me a replacement value for insurance purposes and sent me a full report via mail and a softcopy via email. It took an hour and I was there and watched in person and even got to look at the diamond in the microscope! Anyway, let us know what you wind up doing
1.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey from a fellow Irish person!
35.gif
35.gif

We got our ring in NY in July in Tiffanys and they were able to have the ring sized for me in two days so I''d say that wherever you go will be able to do it for you. Good luck shopping

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results