shape
carat
color
clarity

Going to Montreal Need Hotel Help!!!!

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
Hi! I just got back from my girls only trip to San Fransisco and now DH wants to go to Montreal. Does anyone know of a great hotel in the old city. Non smoking!!!!! Thanks in advance for your advice! :wavey:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
you can't go until you report in re the SF trip!

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
You are right, movie zombie! San Fransisco was amazing!!!!! We did the regulat touristy stuff.. Alcatraz, Fishermans Wharf, Union Square, and of course, visited Lang Antiques!!! OMG ! really amazing pieces, was soo overwhelmed. Also went to Chinatown which was fun. I bought an imperial jade pendant with a few diamond chips on the bezel. I always wanted a deep green emeraldy colored piece of jade. Stayed at the Fairmont at the top of Nob Hill and we walked those gigantic hills. I was soooo sore, and on top of that, I gained weight!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
weight?! oh, no, re the gain! glad you had a good time. lots in one weekend!

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
We usually stay on st. Catharine rather than the old port. The Omni has recently been renovated and has very good service. For old port most people stay in smaller boutique hotels as far as I know. We are going next month and trying the intercontinental which is near ish to the port.

Le Crystal is nice but not old port. Never stayed at st. James since it is a bit out of my price range!

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
Will check out these hotels today. Is the old city a good place to stay? I am interested in the history of the city, so I just thought that area would be a good place to stay.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Le Saint Sulpice. Really lovely, great staff and location and they offer discounts if you book through their website. We honeymooned there and would be back in an instant. I've also stayed at the Fairmont and a few places in the Plateau, but would rather return to the Saint Sulpice.

http://www.lesaintsulpice.com/

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
babs23r|1374761900|3489905 said:
Will check out these hotels today. Is the old city a good place to stay? I am interested in the history of the city, so I just thought that area would be a good place to stay.

The old port is a great place to stay. Its just very very touristy. Expect mimes and horse drawn carriages on every street. Its something we like to visit while in town, but not really our thin so we stay nearer to the university on Sherbrooke (accidentally wrote st. Catherine in my other post). I enjoy the old town a lot more in November when its too cold for most!

St. Sulpice and st. James are well known in the area so either should be fabulous.

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
mercoledi|1374762904|3489916 said:
Le Saint Sulpice. Really lovely, great staff and location and they offer discounts if you book through their website. We honeymooned there and would be back in an instant. I've also stayed at the Fairmont and a few places in the Plateau, but would rather return to the Saint Sulpice.

http://www.lesaintsulpice.com/
This hotel looks great except that they only offer queen size beds unless you want to upgrade to a four person room. Really need a king.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Well, I live in Montreal so I had to chime in. I would stay at the Hotel Saint-James. No doubt. Old port is touristy, but there are many expensive condos there, so many of the people there, at the 5 a 7 (I think happy hour in US) are locals. Young professionals often (actually always) congregate there after work. My sister owns a condo on Rue de La Commune (street facing the water) and she loves to walk around and be with the crowd. I will often rollerblade in the old port with my husband. There's an energy in the old port that's hard to match in the city.

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
I also live in Montreal (well North Shore) and those are great suggestions here's one more. I hope you enjoy your stay wherever you decide Montreal is a beautiful city.

http://www.wmontrealhotel.com/

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
Booked last night at Place d'Armes. I hope it is a good pick. The St. James was a little too steep in price. Did I do Ok? Now I need to find restaurants and things to do.....

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Should have a little Montreal GTG hahaha!!

I live in Montreal too... but can't help with hotels... know nothing about them where I live! Staying in the old town should be pretty cute though! Hope you stay long enough to see the finale of the fireworks competition August 3rd! You can see them from the Old Town or better yet.. get tickets to the Six Flags La Ronde to get front row seats and listen to the U2 music that will be playing along with the fireworks!

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There is the Just for Laughs festival going on right now I think... and the fireworks competition....

As for restaurants... try Kazu om St. Catherine street west... great Japanese food... charming little place where you gotta line up ... no sushi though!

Garde Manger is a great place too but gotta book wayyyy in advance... maybe you can get lucky on a weeknight and ask for a seat at the bar... the restaurant is run by Iron Chef winner Chuck Hughes.

Other restaurant suggestions:

Joe Beef
Le Bremner
Au pied du Cochon

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone!!!! I can't wait! I hope that the old section has quaint shops. I will try out the restaurants. A friend bummed me out today saying that Quebec City is much more European than Montreal...... He's wrong, right?

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Montreal tops Quebec City any day, in my opinion.

Second vote for the Omni (not in old port).

Anne

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
anne_h|1375321243|3494215 said:
Montreal tops Quebec City any day, in my opinion.

Second vote for the Omni (not in old port).

Anne
thanks! Feel much better. :appl:

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Anne_h: HI! funny enough I was just looking up the specs on your ring (and on victor canera). My husband is thinking of an upgrade and I was wondering how the I color was in a larger stone!

Personally I LOVE Quebec City. Love. Love. Love. It is certinly more European then Montreal, but nothing compares to the energy and vibe of Montreal. I always suggest 48 hours in Quebec City because its still nice to see. I would not want to live in Quebec City or spend a week there, but two days is wonderful.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Ally,

I am liking the I color in my stone just fine. It's an antique stone and small hints of color do not bother me. But overall it is pretty white looking. I'm happy with it.

Good luck with your upgrade! Keep us posted.

Anne

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results