shape
carat
color
clarity

Going to cry, Sea Magic by Mikimoto Reps at Kay were so rude!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I walked into Kay because I was I was interested in comparing a strand of Freshwater pearls which I had seen on the Kay Jeweler’s website for $299 that were titled “Sea Magic Cultured Freshwater Pearls® by Mikimoto Necklace” (stock number 350394502) with a strand of Sea Magic Cultured Akoya Pearls® by Mikimoto.

The first sales woman I spoke took two strands of Sea Magic Cultured Pearls out of the case, one that was $299 with 5.5mm pearls that seemed consistent with the Freshwater necklace that I wanted to view. However, but informed me that she did not know the difference between freshwater and saltwater pearls, and could not show me two strands to compare. She directed me to a second woman, who stated that the two strands we were viewing were both saltwater strands. She stated that Mikimoto does not make any Freshwater strands at all; when I tried to explain that I had seen this strand online and that was fairly certain that only Freshwaters would be so inexpensive and that they could not possibly be akoyas, a third sales person told me that Kay doesn’t carry akoya pearls at all because they are a “more expensive pearl”. The second woman joined her in saying that none of the Sea Magic Cultured Pearls by Mikimoto were akoya or freshwater, but that they were all saltwater Japanese! (anyone who knows about pearls would find this hilarious...)

I do not mind that the employees at this Kay Jewelers location are not knowledgeable about pearls; I do mind that they were making a very strong attempt to supply me with misinformation, and very insistent that they were right and I was wrong. If Kay is offering akoyas for $299, that is a wonderful deal and I would be happy to consider purchasing them. All three employees were very obviously rude; not one made an attempt to look up further information about the specific strands in question. I felt like they were ganging up on me! The saleswoman made some kind of comment to to the extent of "we''re not supplied with technical information like that"...as if I was crazy in thinking there was even a difference between saltwaters and freshwaters!

Sorry that this is such a long post, I just felt like crying by the time I left the store. The sales women made me feel like I was totally ridiculous and stupid, and were so rude to me the entire time. I just don''t understand why they wouldn''t just say, "hey, I don''t know how to answer your question" instead of ganging up on me and belittling me. I am just so sad and am scared to ever visit another mall store to ask about jewelery again! What could I have done to deserve such treatment?

PS. I have talked to reps from Pearl Paradise, Pearl Outlet, and American Pearl..they have all been more than wonderfully respectful, nice, kind, informative, and given very very honest opinions on their inventory. I probably should have known not to even try to look at pearls at a mall!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The sea magic pearls are Mikimoto's lower quality brand. They are akoyas, but not the same quality as the high end Mikimoto's that we're all used to seeing. Akoyas in lower qualities are inexpensive. In fact, if I do remember, Mikimoto got a lot of flack for selling these since it was thought it would taint their reputation. That being said, they're nice enough pearls, but they don't have the same lustre and quality as the more expensive ones. They're sold out of Kay and Zales.

I'm really sorry that the staff was so terrible. It's not a surprise in this economy that so many of these chain jewelers are going out of business, and it's because they are understaffed, underpaid, and just basically unknowledgable about colored gems and diamonds. It's a pity.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
You are entirely correct, I have been seeing a lot of mall jewelry stores going out of business! In fact, three go out of business in just the last few months.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
szh07 - I think the last sentence of your P.S. says it all.

Streeter1

Rough_Rock
The pearls were freshwater, not akoya. Mikimoto''s low-end Sea Magic line carries both freshwater and akoya. They are both overpriced. The "Sea Magic Cultured Freshwater Pearls® by Mikimoto Necklace" is available on Kay''s Web site for $299. The pearls are 5.5-6mm. That size is suitable for a 4 y.o.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d rather have Pearl Paradise or Pearl Outlet any day.

WHJI147

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/4/2009 9:59:39 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
The sea magic pearls are Mikimoto''s lower quality brand. They are akoyas, but not the same quality as the high end Mikimoto''s that we''re all used to seeing. Akoyas in lower qualities are inexpensive. In fact, if I do remember, Mikimoto got a lot of flack for selling these since it was thought it would taint their reputation. That being said, they''re nice enough pearls, but they don''t have the same lustre and quality as the more expensive ones. They''re sold out of Kay and Zales.

I''m really sorry that the staff was so terrible. It''s not a surprise in this economy that so many of these chain jewelers are going out of business, and it''s because they are understaffed, underpaid, and just basically unknowledgable about colored gems and diamonds. It''s a pity.

You may be correct. However, many private jewelers are not up on this topic as well. You have to conduct some research prior to considering a Pearl purchase. Most Jewelers are interested in selling Diamonds and may not be pumped up to sell the other merchandise. Although, please do not think all chain Jewelers are like this. Many are very good.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/5/2009 9:35:50 PM
Author: WHJI147

You may be correct. However, many private jewelers are not up on this topic as well. You have to conduct some research prior to considering a Pearl purchase. Most Jewelers are interested in selling Diamonds and may not be pumped up to sell the other merchandise. Although, please do not think all chain Jewelers are like this. Many are very good.
I also saw you defending mall jewelers in the colored stones forum. Are you affiliated with one? While I do think that there are some fine stand alone B&M stores, I do not have much respect for Zales, Kay, Jared's, Rogers & Holland, Fred Meyer, and many of your lower end chain jewelers. I think they're super overpriced, have poor selection, and no imagination, and the staff is not educated at all in gems, and only knows the basics about diamonds.

As for pearls, I am sad to see "Irridesse" going out of business. I thought they were a good chain jeweler that specialized in pearls. They are owned by Tiff&Co. and had just as nice workmanship but for lower pricing.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Kay Jewelers is definitely not a private jeweler. They are owned by Sterling, who also owns Jared, JB Robinson, Belden, Marks and Morgan, Friedlander''s, Lee Roy''s, Goodman, Weisfield, Shaw''s, Osterman, and Roger''s. And if they are not knowledgeable or "excited" by what they are selling, I don''t think they should be in the business of selling in, IMHO.

WHJI147

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/6/2009 7:00:43 PM
Author: szh07
Kay Jewelers is definitely not a private jeweler. They are owned by Sterling, who also owns Jared, JB Robinson, Belden, Marks and Morgan, Friedlander''s, Lee Roy''s, Goodman, Weisfield, Shaw''s, Osterman, and Roger''s. And if they are not knowledgeable or ''excited'' by what they are selling, I don''t think they should be in the business of selling in, IMHO.
Yes, I know who owns Kay Jewelers and had not stated that they are a private Jeweler. Also to answer your question, am I affiliated with a Mall Jeweler?...Yes,I gave my life to one. I will let you know that my employees were wery well trained and if any one of them didn''t know the correct answer to a customers question, my company and I had given them all the tools nessary to answer eash question they had been faced with. I also took the time to make sure that a person like my self who loves Jewelry and has a great deal of knowledge on the subject, passed it on to the people who need it. (Customers and Employees)

I responded to several comments regarding Chain and Mall Jewelers due to the fact that not all of them are the same. I feel that most Chain and Mall Jewelers are not given the benefit of the doubt. Also, there are many customers that can''t afford the price of most private Jewelers. Let''s face it Mall Jewelers target a specific market.

My comment regarding the other merchandise that Jewelers sell. I have always maintained that most Jewelers (Private or Chain) focus on Diamonds and not enough on Gem stones, Pearls, Ect.

As with anything you are planning to purchase, you have to have some knowledge prior to walking into any store.

I didn''t want to upset anyone.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/6/2009 7:53:43 PM

Kay Jewelers is definitely not a private jeweler. They are owned by Sterling, who also owns Jared, JB Robinson, Belden, Marks and Morgan, Friedlander's, Lee Roy's, Goodman, Weisfield, Shaw's, Osterman, and Roger's. And if they are not knowledgeable or 'excited' by what they are selling, I don't think they should be in the business of selling in, IMHO.
Yes, I know who owns Kay Jewelers and had not stated that they are a private Jeweler. Also to answer your question, am I affiliated with a Mall Jeweler?...Yes,I gave my life to one. I will let you know that my employees were wery well trained and if any one of them didn't know the correct answer to a customers question, my company and I had given them all the tools nessary to answer eash question they had been faced with. I also took the time to make sure that a person like my self who loves Jewelry and has a great deal of knowledge on the subject, passed it on to the people who need it. (Customers and Employees)

I responded to several comments regarding Chain and Mall Jewelers due to the fact that not all of them are the same. I feel that most Chain and Mall Jewelers are not given the benefit of the doubt. Also, there are many customers that can't afford the price of most private Jewelers. Let's face it Mall Jewelers target a specific market.

My comment regarding the other merchandise that Jewelers sell. I have always maintained that most Jewelers (Private or Chain) focus on Diamonds and not enough on Gem stones, Pearls, Ect.

As with anything you are planning to purchase, you have to have some knowledge prior to walking into any store.

I didn't want to upset anyone.
I had a nightmarish experience at a mall jeweler today which I posted about in the colored stone forum. It's not the first time, and it certainly isn't the last. It's about CD Peacock.

WHJI147,
You didn't upset me, and I hope you didn't think I was attacking you. I have found through personal experience to have walked away from many many mall jewelers with extreme disappointment. That doesn't mean they're all bad, or they should not be given a chance, but through my experience, and many more documented on Pricescope, they certainly have not earned an overall good reputation. I'm glad that you took the time to train your employees and you obviously show more enthusiasm. I wish more mall jewelers could be the same. I even knew a man that worked for a B&M store for over 30 years and he didn't know the difference between a citrine and a topaz, very very sad.
38.gif

WHJI147

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/6/2009 9:22:01 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Date: 5/6/2009 7:53:43 PM

Kay Jewelers is definitely not a private jeweler. They are owned by Sterling, who also owns Jared, JB Robinson, Belden, Marks and Morgan, Friedlander''s, Lee Roy''s, Goodman, Weisfield, Shaw''s, Osterman, and Roger''s. And if they are not knowledgeable or ''excited'' by what they are selling, I don''t think they should be in the business of selling in, IMHO.
Yes, I know who owns Kay Jewelers and had not stated that they are a private Jeweler. Also to answer your question, am I affiliated with a Mall Jeweler?...Yes,I gave my life to one. I will let you know that my employees were wery well trained and if any one of them didn''t know the correct answer to a customers question, my company and I had given them all the tools nessary to answer eash question they had been faced with. I also took the time to make sure that a person like my self who loves Jewelry and has a great deal of knowledge on the subject, passed it on to the people who need it. (Customers and Employees)

I responded to several comments regarding Chain and Mall Jewelers due to the fact that not all of them are the same. I feel that most Chain and Mall Jewelers are not given the benefit of the doubt. Also, there are many customers that can''t afford the price of most private Jewelers. Let''s face it Mall Jewelers target a specific market.

I didn''t want to upset anyone.
I had a nightmarish experience at a mall jeweler today which I posted about in the colored stone forum. It''s not the first time, and it certainly isn''t the last. It''s about CD Peacock.

WHJI147,
You didn''t upset me, and I hope you didn''t think I was attacking you. I have found through personal experience to have walked away from many many mall jewelers with extreme disappointment. That doesn''t mean they''re all bad, or they should not be given a chance, but through my experience, and many more documented on Pricescope, they certainly have not earned an overall good reputation. I''m glad that you took the time to train your employees and you obviously show more enthusiasm. I wish more mall jewelers could be the same. I even knew a man that worked for a B&M store for over 30 years and he didn''t know the difference between a citrine and a topaz, very very sad.
38.gif
No, I don''t feel I was attacked. I also find the comment about citrine and topaz funny...WOW!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results