shape
carat
color
clarity

Gluing Jadeite?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The back story, I bought what I thought was a pair of emerald earrings decades ago and I was very happy with them and then I found out they were in fact jadeite.
Then I rescued a diamond and platinium watch case, no watch, and band because I like to repurpose. And i can fit one of the earrings in very nicely.
Whilst examining jadeite (I have a pair of untreated jadeite horses) under the microscope trying to work out crystal structure and what untreated jadeite looks like, said jade horse fell off the microscope base and in my rush to “save it” I literally sent it flying.
I now have not one, but two broken legs. My jade horse that is. Argh.
So I thought my experienced jadeite friends might know, can I glue jadeite and what type would be best. 9275466A-2C8B-424F-8C37-9EC4FDF1319D.jpeg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
While I am no jade expert, I have glued a broken jadeite bangle back together after it shattered into four pieces.
I used 2-part epoxy, and it worked great. It hardens like rock, and will never give way.
It takes a long time to set up, so be prepared to stabilize the re-joined pieces properly so they can dry undisturbed for 24 hours. I would prop the horse upside down and gently reattach the broken feet and let gravity hold them in place till dry. After it is good and hard, you can carve off any blobs with an X-acto knife or razor blade.
I'm sure super glue will work also, but it is brittle and may not hold over time.
Good luck!

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
I agree with @stracci2000 but would take the extra precaution to wrap medical 3M tape around the break while the epoxy dries. I doubt that gravity would hold the pieces perfectly while the epoxy dries.

I recommend 3M Transpore tape, which is easy to peel off.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with @stracci2000 but would take the extra precaution to wrap medical 3M tape around the break while the epoxy dries. I doubt that gravity would hold the pieces perfectly while the epoxy dries.

I learn the best tidbits on PS!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well, that may work, too. As long as the tape doesn't come in contact and glue itself to the piece.
Epoxy has a strange honey-like consistency, and it can be tricky to work with. So this will be a delicate operation!
Bron will let us know how the surgery goes!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I’ll worry that the tape will get glued to the jade. Try 2 part epoxy and hold it a bit while it dries or find a small item roughly the same height to support the weight.

Remember to quickly wipe off any excess epoxy before it dries. No need to put too much. A bit goes a long way (disclaimer: my experience comes mainly from gluing pearls to settings or broken toys for my kids).

voce

Ideal_Rock
Well, that may work, too. As long as the tape doesn't come in contact and glue itself to the piece.
Epoxy has a strange honey-like consistency, and it can be tricky to work with. So this will be a delicate operation!
Bron will let us know how the surgery goes!
Epoxy or any type of superglue can be buffed away with the right type of kitchen sponge (when used dry). I said the 3M Transpore tape* because it holds stuff together and is strong, but also easy to peel away. You can buff away any residue the tape leaves with soapy water and a kitchen sponge. Nothing will happen to the epoxy with a wet sponge. That said, it's probably a good idea to be careful and not apply too much epoxy, only a thin layer. Don't worry about using all the epoxy that you mix. It's usually better to use less than to have to deal with having too much to buff away.

*There is literally no other tape I would recommend for this, so I'm assuming most people have little to no experience with 3M Transpore tape.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results