shape
carat
color
clarity

Give me your best-of-DC travel tips!

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm headed to Washington DC later this week. I trust my friends here more than Yelp, so hit me up with your favorites!
Places to eat? Excellent bling shopping? Other things I shouldn't miss? Places NOT to go? Let me know!

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The Newseum was one of our favorite museums, plus the Museum of Natural History if you want to see the Hope Diamond and some other spectacular gems, and the Library of Congress if you like historical architecture. The Holocaust Museum as well. We really enjoyed the Founding Farmers restaurant.

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’ve had several people recommend the Newseum! Definitely planning on seeing the Museum of Natural History- can’t miss the Hope Diamond!

Founding farmers looks so good! Thanks for the recs @rainwood !

Maja

Rough_Rock
Premium
I grew up in the DC area, and have lived here off and on my whole life. For bling, if you are looking for lovely displays, great variety, window shopping, that sort of thing:
PAMPILLONIA Creators of Fine Jewelry, a mix of stuff from new designers, many estate pieces, and they do custom design, too, for example the red enamel setting to a 3ct OMC dome ring envisioned by a dear friend, they brought her idea to bigger-than -life.
BOONE AND SONS Jewelers, has three locations, I've been to the DC location and the Chevy Chase location. One of the Boone sons was in elementary school with me (many years ago), so I had personal bonds there, but they also have great showrooms, great mix of modern designers, estate pieces, and custom work. Boone's sold me the coca-cola brown diamond set in white gold that is in my avatar photo, it was from my husband on our fifth wedding anniversary.:love::love:
I'll suggest one more local shop (not a chain, been here for donkey's years) and it is right on Connecticut Avenue (don't know where you are staying?). It's TINY JEWEL BOX and my dad bought small, beautiful things there for my mom in the mid 1960s.They have estate pieces (I wonder who bought that Victorian suite of carved coral...), many collections from new designers, and diamonds galore. They do corporate gifts also, if you need executive gifts with a DC flavor.
Not exactly a showroom, not exactly a retail location, but definitely local is SLOANS AND KENYON Consignment Gallery. It's an offshoot of Sloans and Kenyon Auctioneers; some things that don't sell at auction right away are transferred to the Consignment Gallery, called the "Boutique". It's not as attractive or well-laid out as the Boone's or Pampillonia or Tiny Jewel Box showrooms, not as bright or clean, and the staff is not especially welcoming toward browsers, but there is a jewelry display case with some fine pieces, and Stephanie Kenyon has been in the business for 35 years that I know of, and has specialized in fine gems and jewelry the whole time.
Also not for browsing, but if you are dropping major major major $$ and you want personal knowledge and attention at that level, call and get an appointment with SHAH & SHAH Distinctive Jewelers. Then come back here and tell me ALL about it, because I've never been, LOL.
Also not for browsing, but knowledgeable, creative, and flexible is JEWELS OF HOUSE HOLBROOK, she's a jewelry concierge, which I didn't know about them until a few months ago, you tell her what you want and how much you want to spend and she finds it because she has connections everywhere. She found me my latest purchase, a three-stone over-two-carats ring with old cuts and in my price range, and was so patient with not-well-organized-me!
Thanks for giving me the chance to remember some exciting shopping expeditions @leukolenos ! It's not that I have a large or valuable collection, but living and working here for so long means I have plenty of places to window shop, and I hope you are rested and ready for your trip. :wavey:

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I grew up in the DC area, and have lived here off and on my whole life. For bling, if you are looking for lovely displays, great variety, window shopping, that sort of thing:
PAMPILLONIA Creators of Fine Jewelry, a mix of stuff from new designers, many estate pieces, and they do custom design, too, for example the red enamel setting to a 3ct OMC dome ring envisioned by a dear friend, they brought her idea to bigger-than -life.
BOONE AND SONS Jewelers, has three locations, I've been to the DC location and the Chevy Chase location. One of the Boone sons was in elementary school with me (many years ago), so I had personal bonds there, but they also have great showrooms, great mix of modern designers, estate pieces, and custom work. Boone's sold me the coca-cola brown diamond set in white gold that is in my avatar photo, it was from my husband on our fifth wedding anniversary.:love::love:
I'll suggest one more local shop (not a chain, been here for donkey's years) and it is right on Connecticut Avenue (don't know where you are staying?). It's TINY JEWEL BOX and my dad bought small, beautiful things there for my mom in the mid 1960s.They have estate pieces (I wonder who bought that Victorian suite of carved coral...), many collections from new designers, and diamonds galore. They do corporate gifts also, if you need executive gifts with a DC flavor.
Not exactly a showroom, not exactly a retail location, but definitely local is SLOANS AND KENYON Consignment Gallery. It's an offshoot of Sloans and Kenyon Auctioneers; some things that don't sell at auction right away are transferred to the Consignment Gallery, called the "Boutique". It's not as attractive or well-laid out as the Boone's or Pampillonia or Tiny Jewel Box showrooms, not as bright or clean, and the staff is not especially welcoming toward browsers, but there is a jewelry display case with some fine pieces, and Stephanie Kenyon has been in the business for 35 years that I know of, and has specialized in fine gems and jewelry the whole time.
Also not for browsing, but if you are dropping major major major $$ and you want personal knowledge and attention at that level, call and get an appointment with SHAH & SHAH Distinctive Jewelers. Then come back here and tell me ALL about it, because I've never been, LOL.
Also not for browsing, but knowledgeable, creative, and flexible is JEWELS OF HOUSE HOLBROOK, she's a jewelry concierge, which I didn't know about them until a few months ago, you tell her what you want and how much you want to spend and she finds it because she has connections everywhere. She found me my latest purchase, a three-stone over-two-carats ring with old cuts and in my price range, and was so patient with not-well-organized-me!
Thanks for giving me the chance to remember some exciting shopping expeditions @leukolenos ! It's not that I have a large or valuable collection, but living and working here for so long means I have plenty of places to window shop, and I hope you are rested and ready for your trip. :wavey:
Wow @Maja What a resource! Thank you for such a thoughtful response. I want to go to all those places now!!! The consignment gallery sounds very interesting indeed.
I actually talked to Suz from House Holbrook last week to see if she might be able to call anything in for me to see. She is so sweet and helpful.

It all sounds fabulous and I can’t wait to go hit up at least a few of them! I really wish I could see Shah & Shah but while toting my littles I somewhat doubt that will be an option!

We’ll be staying in Old Town Alexandria.

More frantic googling is in order!

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Old Town Alexandria is a great place. There are a TON of restaurants and quaint shops.

I was going to suggest Tiny Jewel Box but it's already been done! They have a nice variety of things to see that are different from the usual jewelry store. Boone & Sons has some GORGEOUS colored stone pieces (at least they did the last time I was there), so if you like that then check them out.

Our weather has been wonky lately so you might still be able to catch the tulips in DC. The cherry blossom festival was almost two weeks ago but the trees are just now starting to bloom due to all of the late cold weather we had; therefore, it might be the same for the tulips. And actually, on that note, since the trees are just starting to bloom it's probably worthwhile for you to go to the walk along the Potomac River and see them.... the view is almost indescribable when they're all in full bloom :love:

For food, if you like Greek food then I'd suggest Zaytinya. They're pretty much in the heart of DC so you should be able to go there in between museum visits.

Lastly, I'd definitely suggest a boat cruise that goes by all of the monuments in the evening. It's so special seeing them all lit up as the sun sets and then as they glow from their spotlights :kiss2:

Have a great time (and bring cold weather clothes... they're calling for snow AGAIN on Saturday :x2)!!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Former Alexandria resident here! :wavey:

I'm going to give hearty support to the suggestions of the Newseum, Tiny Jewel Box, and Zaytinya. All places I would've told you without a second thought!

Also definitely see if you can get to the Tidal Basin for the Cherry Blossoms. As a heads-up, the Cherry Blossom 10-miler is on Sunday morning, so that will make downtown DC a little messy in the early hours.

The monuments at night are stunning, but I prefer to walk the interior monuments/memorials instead of heading along the river (the Korean Memorial at night is particularly haunting). And don't miss the FDR Memorial if you're on the Tidal Basin!

In Old Town Alexandria you also have SO MANY choices.
If you love cocktails, see if you can get in at either PX (an old-time speakeasy, unmarked and everything) or Captain Gregory's (another speakeasy...located inside Sugar Shack donuts :lickout:).
I love Bastille for French food.
Restaurant Eve has an amazing reputation.
Gadsby's Tavern is a total tourist trap but, I mean, George Washington used to eat there! And the food is fairly decent. (Try the peanut soup!)
Southside 815 was a favorite of mine for cheap eats. (Three words: Sweet. Potato. Biscuits.)

Other DC Favorites:
Jaleo (Crystal City and Downtown, same chef as Zaytinya)
Centrolina (City Center...there's also a momofuku milk bar here if you've never been)
RASIKA! (A MUST if you love Indian food...GET THE SPINACH)
Renwick Gallery of the Smithsonian (Ghost Clock is an incredible piece of art)
Phillips Collection (Renoir's Luncheon of the Boating Party is here and it's STUNNING)
National Zoo!!! Visit the pandas!

Have fun!!!

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much @ILikeShiny and @vc10um ! So much to see! I’m glad to have some direction though! I’ll be researching all the places you recommended tomorrow...must sleep now though, flight’s at 0 dark 30....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results