shape
carat
color
clarity

Gift ideas for BIL''s new GF???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
I just found out that my BIL is bringing is new girlfriend to his family''s holiday celebration-so now I am obligated to get her a gift.

The thing is, is that they have only been dating a couple of months and I''ve only met her once. My BIL is no good to get ideas out of for her-so I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions???

She''s 23, doesn''t seem like a girly girl and I don''t want to spend too much on the gift---if that helps!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
What about a lovely scarf?

The bigger department stores are having good sales on nice ones this time of year--you could probably pick a really lovely one up for under $25.00.

Or...

You could maybe get her a $15.00 gift card and $10.00 traveler mug from Starbucks.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I would go with something really non-personal, like a 2009 planner and a pretty pen. Then again, perhaps a nice basket of homemade cookies would be better. They can share the cookies, and you don''t have to spend a fortune or go nuts looking. She can use the basket or tin after the holidays are over.

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
How about a gift card to the movie theater? Those are always great to get!!

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/2/2008 9:56:22 AM
Author: Italiahaircolor
What about a lovely scarf?

The bigger department stores are having good sales on nice ones this time of year--you could probably pick a really lovely one up for under $25.00.

Or...

You could maybe get her a $15.00 gift card and $10.00 traveler mug from Starbucks.

I love these ideas! Oh, or some pretty gloves?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/2/2008 11:29:37 AM
Author: Winks_Elf
I would go with something really non-personal, like a 2009 planner and a pretty pen. Then again, perhaps a nice basket of homemade cookies would be better. They can share the cookies, and you don''t have to spend a fortune or go nuts looking. She can use the basket or tin after the holidays are over.
Baked goods sounds like a safe bet. Nothing too expensive. You don''t know her very well and she doesn''t know ANY of you very well either, I take it? She may feel very awkward if you get her a fancy gift and she gives you a small gift - especially since she''s 23 - she may not have a lot of money to spend on everyone in your family. That''s a lot of pressure *for her*.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/2/2008 11:43:42 AM
Author: MC

Date: 12/2/2008 11:29:37 AM
Author: Winks_Elf
Baked goods sounds like a safe bet. Nothing too expensive. You don''t know her very well and she doesn''t know ANY of you very well either, I take it? She may feel very awkward if you get her a fancy gift and she gives you a small gift - especially since she''s 23 - she may not have a lot of money to spend on everyone in your family. That''s a lot of pressure *for her*.
I disagree with the cookie idea. I give out cookies to family and friends but its kind of a "add on"...so, IMO, to give that, and nothing else may seem like shes an "after thought" for you. Buying her a small token will mean so much--and if you want to add a small tin of baked goods, thats twice as nice. But, if everyone is opening really nice gifts and all she has is a tin of cookies, I''d imagine she''d feel awkward.

As someone who had a weird "welcome" into her husbands family, believe me, she''s probably really appreciate being *thought* of.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I really like the idea of the scarf or the planner: they''re impersonal but classy. I''d be nervous about baked goods the same way I would be about perfume - what if there were allergies or just really strong preferences that you weren''t aware of?

Alternately, on a lighter note, maybe a pretty holiday ornament or cozy coffee mug? Seasonal things are hard to go wrong with ....

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/2/2008 12:20:02 PM
Author: Circe
I really like the idea of the scarf or the planner: they''re impersonal but classy. I''d be nervous about baked goods the same way I would be about perfume - what if there were allergies or just really strong preferences that you weren''t aware of?

Alternately, on a lighter note, maybe a pretty holiday ornament or cozy coffee mug? Seasonal things are hard to go wrong with ....
Starbucks has a really cute mug out right now that looks like a white cable knit sweater...very very cute. I actually bought a set of 8 to have for the holidays at my house. I love them. You could do that, with a gift card.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Maybe some holiday decoration. Winter/christmas style candles. Or a picture frame. I''m sure she''d appreciate a nice frame for a pic of her and her new bf!

Heidi137

Shiny_Rock
Vera Bradley is having a big sale online right now. My daughter is 20 and loves anything VB. Some of the umbrellas are reduced to $15. You couldn''t go wrong with a VB makeup bag either...

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Maybe you could get her a pretty keychain? They have really nice ones at the Coach outlet for around $20 - everyone carries keys!

IloveAsschers13

Brilliant_Rock
or you could give her a gift card to her and your brother''s favorite restaurant? or a new one they have never tried, that way they can use the gift together?

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
For the first Xmas I was dating DH, his family gave me practically half of Bath and Body Works'' line and coordinating White Barn candles. I thought it was pretty good!

I love candles as a gift - they''re one of those things that are inflated in price enough that I don''t typically buy them for myself, but I adore White Barn or Yankee candles.

The idea of a movie gc is cute too - you can make a little basket with "movie" box candy, some popcorn, and the gc.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
I''m with Italia.... those cable sweater looking mugs are totally cute! You could fill it with a starbucks giftcard and maybe a pouch of their cookies. Even if she''s not a coffee drinker, they have teas and hot chocolate and all that.

The Vera Bradley stuff is cute but definitely not for everyone. While I think they are nice for other people, I probably wouldn''t want any of it for myself.

I always appreciate Bath & Body stuff because even if I don''t like the scent they''ll let you exchange without a receipt. An alternative to that would be getting some nice handmade soaps from a local gift shop. Or a Bath Junkie giftcard!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I think a beautiful pashmina is an easy go-to gift. You can find pretty ones fairly cheaply, and they really make an outfit pop. Plus, no matter what her style, a girl can find a way to wear a pashmina.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the coffee mug and gift card idea...

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Since she is 23 and not super girly, the pashmina might not be the best. Alot of girls my age are still stuck on wearing American Eagle and similar fashions and wouldn''t appreciate something like that. Feel free to send one my way though!
9.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/2/2008 4:39:18 PM
Author: oobiecoo
Since she is 23 and not super girly, the pashmina might not be the best. Alot of girls my age are still stuck on wearing American Eagle and similar fashions and wouldn''t appreciate something like that. Feel free to send one my way though!
9.gif

Really? I''m 22 and all of my friends wear them, girly and non-girly alike. Maybe we''re just freaks...

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/2/2008 5:24:35 PM
Author: princesss

9.gif

Really? I''m 22 and all of my friends wear them, girly and non-girly alike. Maybe we''re just freaks...

I think this just proves the point that you shouldn''t buy clothing for someone you don''t know!

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
I''m 22 and love them as well but some of my friends wouldn''t be caught dead with one. The gf may be the type to like one but I''m just saying its hard to be sure unless she''s been seen with one before... ya know? I definitely wasn''t trying to ridicule your gift idea and hope it didn''t sound that way... I was just trying to show the other side.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/2/2008 5:38:19 PM
I''m 22 and love them as well but some of my friends wouldn''t be caught dead with one. The gf may be the type to like one but I''m just saying its hard to be sure unless she''s been seen with one before... ya know? I definitely wasn''t trying to ridicule your gift idea and hope it didn''t sound that way... I was just trying to show the other side.

Oh, I didn''t think you were ridiculing it at all, I really only suggested it because literally every girl I''m friends with owns 10! So it''s my usual go-to gift. Like I said, though, maybe we''re just freaks.
2.gif
But if we are, we''re freaks with classy pashminas, and that''s a kind of freak I don''t mind being.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/2/2008 5:34:55 PM
Author: neatfreak
Date: 12/2/2008 5:24:35 PM

Author: princesss

9.gif

I think this just proves the point that you shouldn''t buy clothing for someone you don''t know!

Haha, very true, neatfreak, very true!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
My favorite generic gift is a huge hot cocoa mug with a packet or two of fancy shmancy hot cocoa. If I''m feeling really crazy I''ll throw in a pair of pretty warm wool socks or a scarf.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Nice candles are always a safe bet - if she doesn''t care for the scent they are easy to re-gift...

blondebunny

Brilliant_Rock
I think I might be the odd one.. but why are you "obligated" to buy her a christmas present?? Did he say you need to buy her one?? it could go either way... if you dont she could feel left out... but what if u do.. and then she didnt think to buy you anything (not saying she has to)?? She might feel really bad and might cause an awkward moment ya know??

I dont think a planner or scarf is a good idea honestly... I think they feel as if they are a last minute throw something together kinda thing with no thought..

I think the easiest thing to do is a giftcard to somewhere that her and you BIL can enjoy together.. or a giftcard to a spa or something ya know?? Maybe you could do the spa and write a nice note that says you hope ya''ll can go together and get to know her better...

Also-- I dont know if the Starbucks is a great idea.. because I am one personally who doesnt drink anything from there.. and neither does my FI... unless obviously u know she loves it! :)
---I dont mean to offend anyone either with what i have said.. its just my own personal reasonings behind things.! :)

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can your BIL give you any hints? Like tell you if she even drinks coffee? A few helpful hints would be good! As another non-coffee drinker I wouldn''t mind the Starbucks gift card but I would prefer something else!

Off the top of my head, I would recommend getting her a funny book. I love David Sedaris and it seems like everyone else does, too, so that could be a good choice. I also like the scarf idea-everyone wears scarves!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/2/2008 7:39:09 PM
Author: blondebunny
I think I might be the odd one.. but why are you ''obligated'' to buy her a christmas present?? Did he say you need to buy her one?? it could go either way... if you dont she could feel left out... but what if u do.. and then she didnt think to buy you anything (not saying she has to)?? She might feel really bad and might cause an awkward moment ya know??

I dont think a planner or scarf is a good idea honestly... I think they feel as if they are a last minute throw something together kinda thing with no thought..

I think the easiest thing to do is a giftcard to somewhere that her and you BIL can enjoy together.. or a giftcard to a spa or something ya know?? Maybe you could do the spa and write a nice note that says you hope ya''ll can go together and get to know her better...

Also-- I dont know if the Starbucks is a great idea.. because I am one personally who doesnt drink anything from there.. and neither does my FI... unless obviously u know she loves it! :)
---I dont mean to offend anyone either with what i have said.. its just my own personal reasonings behind things.! :)
She did state that this girl wasn''t "girly-girly"....and there is a budget constriction...those, IMO, don''t equal a "spa" gift.

Spas get expensive quickly...and body buffs, polish, and facials tend to be "girly" stuff....

babygirl

Shiny_Rock
Hmm, that''s a tough one. It''s hard not to get something super generic and just give it to her (or that''s the difficulty I always have with my brothers'' girlfriends). I like the pashmina/scarf idea- all of my friends wear those (scarves or pashminas), girly girls and non-girly girls alike. Depending on where you live, a cute pair of gloves or mittens might not be a bad gift idea either. The spa idea is nice, but yeah, probably not within a $20 or so budget. Instead, you could always do a mini gift set (I know Sephora usually has a bunch) or a nice lotion from Fresh or something (I think a bottle there is $20 or $25)? Nice stationery might also work, but that really depends on her personality. Ditto for something small that you can use in the kitchen, if she''s into cooking. If she''s more sporty, you could always get her like, a nice(r) box of golf balls or a gift certif for indoor rock climbing or something like that? I usually like activity-oriented presents when I can think of them.. I dunno... I hope those suggestions help. Good luck shopping!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results