shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA Report with Origin Opinion or without???

STOJA001

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I've been wondering about this for a while now - does the origin matters in diamonds or not?

I've been searching online to get a decent answer, but the only information I could fin was about Pink diamonds from Argyle Mines in Australia. So would it be best to just get Pink diamonds certified with Origin Opinion, or all kind of diamonds or none (natural of course)?

I got a lot of diamonds that I have to get GIA certified.
I got over 50 diamonds and one of them is a;
Chameleon (bright yellow-green -to- strong vivid orange) 2.11 carat - should I get Origin Opinion on this one or doesn't it matter at all?

I also got one more question...
I've been in the diamond business for a while (years), and I wonder if it's possible for a Pink diamond to be Chameleon?
I've never seen anything like this one - it's Light Pink in fluorescent light - but it's Deep Reddish Purple under incandescent light.

All answers and opinions is welcome!

GGP11927images01.jpg

m1309_002a.JPG

m1309_002b.JPG

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
As far as I am aware, it's not generally possible to assign an origin to diamonds (except the Argyle pinks) using laboratory tests. There are certain types of diamond that tend to be more common in certain places. I suppose a Golconda might carry a bit of cachet...

However, with the Kimberly Process, a lot of diamonds can now be tracked to source. Canadian diamonds are often marked as such as it carries a premium with people who want guaranteed conflict-free.

I'm not a diamond person, so can't comment on the other question.

connyf

Rough_Rock
Regarding the stone in the image (grrenish yellow) its origin does not matter much. A much bigger impact on the value is the lack of clarity and the cut. I guess the girdle is rather thick.

A color shift in a purplish pink stone does not qualify as a Chameleon.

STOJA001

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thank you Pandora!

Then I suppose I should try to get Origin Opinion on only Pink's then, just in case..
I did think all of my diamond was from Belgum (mined there) - but suddenly I got a letter from GIA and in the letter is was stated that the diamonds were from Pakistan as Origin (not stated in Report - only on the receipt). I dont know how they know this tho' because I did not ask for Origin Opinions at that time.

STOJA001

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thank you for your answer Connyf.

As far as I know, I think GIA would rate it as a I2 - the pictures is always zoomed 60x-100x so people can see the flaws very good.
It's not as "cracked" under a 10x loupe.

I suppose the girdle is about 30-40 degrees only, it's not very thick or deep.
The cut would be rated as a "Very Good - Polish/Symmetry" by GIA I would suppose - it's matching in all angles.
I'm can not say it's 100% correct before I got a GIA Report of course.

I've been studying diamonds for a while and are going to study at GIA myself in 2012, Colored Diamond Grader.

connyf

Rough_Rock
With girdle I do not mean the pavillion of the stone. I mean the girdle (roundist), which seems to be thick (wide) to save weight in this stone. I am a bit familiar with color, clarity and cut grading in diamond.

I recommend anyone who wants to be part of the gemstone industry and deal in diamonds and/or colored stones to learn the basic terminology.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results